Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Problem With Roku Remotes - 2 TV's Side By Side

Jump to solution

Okay this is driving me insane! I probably should have known this would happen, and accounted for it, but here goes!

So this is in my bedroom. Anyway, for the past 3-4 years, I have been using a Roku TV, 43" Sharp 4K as a computer monitor on my computer desk. Right next to it, literally inches to the left, I had an older Panasonic Viera 55" TV. Anyway, I just snagged a 55" TCL 5 Series to replace the Panasonic. I think you can see where I'm going with this. It really is a comical problem, and in retrospect, I probably should have gone with a Sony/Samsung, or whatever. But I can't seem to control one TV even trying to point the remote directly at it. Since they are so close, the TV's both act on the same remote presses from either remote.

This is driving me insane! I do not want to use a cell phone or tablet, to be honest, though I am sure I can do it that way. What I really want is for ONE remote to control only one TV and the other remote to control only the other TV.

Note: I thought I had solved at least part of the problem when I hooked my Fire Stick to the 55" TV, and associated the Fire Stick remote to that TV, and I hoped only that TV. But noooooooo! The Fire Stick remote now turns on BOTH TV's, which I obviously don't want. Since the 43" Roku is old, I am seriously considering tossing it into the garbage and buying a 43" Sony to use for my PC monitor and sometimes my PS4/XBone. That would at least solve my problem, but then I have to spend money.

But is there some way to get each TV to ONLY associate with one of the Roku remotes? I don't even think a universal remote would be a solution, since I can't seem to separate the TVs even from my Fire Stick remote.

Maybe I should just junk the 43" Sharp Roku? Because I can't live like this, as it is so confusing trying to isolate the TV's from one another in such close proximity. A partial solution working poorly but at least a little, is to manually control the TV's using only the on/off buttons on the sets themselves. I can use the physical on/off switch to switch HDMI inputs, turn the sets on and off individually, and so on. But this is not a permanent solution.

Also volume control is a HUGE problem. Because one TV is hooked into a bedroom surround sound system...well they both are, but I use a Toslink splitter to decide which TV goes to the receiver, and which one only uses the onboard TV volume. So when I raise the volume of the computer TV, it also raises the volume of the bedroom-watching TV. Where this is a problem is that the receiver volume is controlled by the Fire Stick remote, but I want to keep that set muted. But when I try to raise the PC TV, it also raises the set I am watching TV on, which cause an echo when both the sound system and TV volume are up.

This is a nightmare, and I am really starting to regret getting the TCL. The Viera was **bleep**, but it was easy to control by itself.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Problem With Roku Remotes - 2 TV's Side By Side

Jump to solution

@ChiroVette 

Thanks for the post.

If you can manually turn/off your computer monitor (Roku TV), you can could possibly cover the IR receiver on that TV to avoid the conflict of controlling your other TV.

I'll also revert to @Tivoburkee for further recommendations as he's our resident remote expert in the Community!

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Level 20

Jump to solution

You can purchase two wifi voice remotes for each tv, once paired with the given tv it will only control that one roku. So you have to abandon both original IR remotes for good. Of course unplug one roku tv as you pair the other and so forth for the other one. 

You can purchase the wifi voice remotes from roku:

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-tv

Or got to walmart or best buy and purchase locally. Best buy is $10 more then roku or walmart. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@ChiroVette 

Thanks for the post.

If you can manually turn/off your computer monitor (Roku TV), you can could possibly cover the IR receiver on that TV to avoid the conflict of controlling your other TV.

I'll also revert to @Tivoburkee for further recommendations as he's our resident remote expert in the Community!

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

0 Kudos
Level 20

Jump to solution

You can purchase two wifi voice remotes for each tv, once paired with the given tv it will only control that one roku. So you have to abandon both original IR remotes for good. Of course unplug one roku tv as you pair the other and so forth for the other one. 

You can purchase the wifi voice remotes from roku:

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-tv

Or got to walmart or best buy and purchase locally. Best buy is $10 more then roku or walmart. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-Rand @Tivoburkee, thanks for the posts. I had actually found this idea yesterday either on a thread here or on Reddit, I forget. Maybe both. The thing is I decided to start out by ordering one of the remotes you recommended off Amazon yesterday. The reason for one, is I wanted to hedge my bet. The problem is further complicated by the fact that the 43" Sharp I use as a PC/PS4 monitor is an older Roku TV, and I am not 100% sure it will sync with a Wifi or RF Remote. So I ordered one, which should be here today by 9PM according to Amazon. If that syncs with the Sharp, then I will order a second one. Right now, to be honest, for the past day and a half, I have been not using the remotes at all, but controlling both sets manually. There are still two odd issues:

1. With further experimentation, I found that the remote for the TCL is the one that controls both sets. However, it gets weird, because the Sharp Remote does NOT control the TCL. I was in error about that yesterday. I think this may mean that I might only need the one RF/WiFi remote for the TCL. Although, this may end up not being the case. The reason I say that is I am pretty sure that the RF/WiFi remotes are ALSO IR. This means that if I am right, then the new RF/WiFi remote I get today will unfortunately also control the Sharp. If I cover up the IR receiver on the Sharp, then presumably, I will need to buy a second WiFi/RF remote, since I assume that the new RF/WiFI remote will also have IR, which would then unfortunately control the Sharp. LMAO confusing! Further muddying things is, as I said above, I am not entirely sure that the Wifi/RF remote will sync with the older Sharp anyway.

Here is a thought, maybe you guys can give me opinions on:

Since the IR Roku remote that came works with the Sharp only and not the TCL, assuming that the new RF/WiFi remote coming today has IR also, what if, instead of covering up the WiFi receiver on the Sharp, I covered the IR part of the actual IR part of the new remote I ordered black electrical tape? I assume that this will stop the new remote from interacting with the Sharp TV since I would be using only the Wifi/RF component of the new remote?

One more weird issue! My Fire Stick remote was able to easily sync to the TCL and my bedroom receiver. So I am able to use my Fire Stick Remote to turn my TCL on/off and the volume buttons on the FireTV remote now ONLY controls the receiver, not the volume on ether TV, which is what I wanted. (Good at least on that!). The problem is that for some odd IR reason, the Fire Stick Remote not turns both the Sharp and the TCL on/off!

ROFLMAO! So if you are still with me, I think that if (and this is a big if) how do I get the Fire Stick remote to ONLY turn the TCL on/off and not the Sharp? Because the Fire Stick remote has to be pointed at the TV to turn it on/off, even the TCL TV. Which is weird, because the Fire TV remote is a Wifi/RF and Bluetooth remote! So it's strange that it has to be pointed at the TCL. See how convoluted this is all getting?

0 Kudos
Level 20

Jump to solution

First of all the wifi remote only emits RF once it is paired to a roku device. A non-paired remote or one that is paired but the roku is unplugged from the power will switch to IR, once the roku is plugged back in again the remote is wifi only again.

Your Sharp roku tv accepts both the Sharp remote and tcl remote commands. Where the Tcl roku tv only accepts it own commands. Same thing with Hisense roku tv it also accepts both IR command sets. So leave the Sharp tv alone and just use its original IR remote which has no effect on your tcl roku tv. When the new wifi remote arrives pair it to the TCL roku tv, abandoning tcl IR remote which controls both tv sets. 

The fire tv remote is problem because it will continue to emit the tcl tv commands that both tv respond to, even with tcl roku tv paired with wifi remote it will still accept the IR commands. If you want to block the IR sensor on the Sharp tv so no IR commands reach it and then pair the wifi remote to sharp roku tv. And then continue to use tcl IR remote and the fire stick remote for the tcl roku tv, it might work with full roll of tape in front of the sensor.  It won't look pretty. 

Edmund