Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
edged1g
Binge Watcher

Problem With Live TV Over the Air - Channel 10.1 redirecting to 10.3

I have a TCL roku tv that I use to watch live sports via and antenna over the air. Recently, Roku "improved" the live TV experience and I did a rescan of my antenna stations. Now my channel guide gives me channel 10.1 which is supposed to be NBC(for football) but for some reason it redirects to 10.3, which is "NBCLX". I don't know what that is or why it redirects. When I say redirect, I mean when i highlight channel 10.1 and press OK, channel 10.3 appears on screen. It's like the TV can't "tune" 10.1 for some reason. According to rabbitears.info I should still get NBC. Zip is 19006 for reference. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated!

56 REPLIES 56
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Re: Problem With Live TV Over the Air - Channel 10.1 redirecting to 10.3

I would go to Home>Settings>Advanced Sys. Settings>Factory reset. You'll probably lose all the work you did scanning/choosing channels. But, if it begins working again (and then stops after a day or two when the update is applied again), you'll have conclusive proof that it was a software update that broke your system (not a coincidental change to the signal by the broadcaster).

There appears to have been a significant update in the past couple days. My LiveTV experience is different (not better). I've noticed bugginess in updates for the past year or so I've had my TCL/Roku tv. The company has lousy quality control (regression testing). 

Like you, I use mine for Live TV. I wonder if I (we) could factory reset, then disconnect the internet wire to protect it from TCL/Roku's reckless updates. I wonder it lets you operate that way for months.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
edged1g
Binge Watcher

Thanks for the reply. I use my TV for live sports but also use it for streaming channels so disconnecting it from the internet isn't really an option long term. In addition, a foctory reset means having to log back in to all my accounts which is a huge hassle.  I'm hoping Roku weighs in on this issue as the other thread here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Discussions/Live-TV-not-working-on-Roku-TV/td-p/635833/page/5

shows they are having major issues with LiveTV updates.

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

@edged1g wrote:

... shows they are having major issues with LiveTV updates.

I wish Roku would weigh in on: 1) how so much buggy update is released. 2) Just 5 days before Christmas -- when you'd assume they're going to have limited staff to address bug reports. 3) Why there's not a "release notes" link somewhere within the menus to see what was expected to change with an update. (There's another thread where people reported Favorites disappearing. They discovered it was intentionally moved. Nobody would know that without reporting it as a bug. And, with the carelessness of updates introducing so many bugs, it's like the proverbial "boy who cried wolf." You see something like Favorites disappear, and the first thing you reach for is "bug.").

I worked in software development. People would be fired for this kind of stuff happening just once. At Roku, it seems to be status quo. The low standards are unbelievable to me.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
edged1g
Binge Watcher

0 Kudos
edged1g
Binge Watcher

My tv has no update available and the issue is still happening. 

Sw version 9.4.0  build 4200

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

@edged1g wrote:

I use my TV for live sports but also use it for streaming channels so disconnecting it from the internet isn't really an option long term.

Something came to mind: If you could identify the URL which your Broku tv is going to (for untested updates), you could block that in your router. Your tv would still have internet access. Just the update process wouldn't (in effect). 

I've never been good with networking. I'm not sure how the URL could be discovered. Routers typically have logging. You might be able to watch that in your computer's browser while someone presses the "check for updates" menu item. (There are also free packet sniffers which require more of a learning curve.). Routers usually provide this functionaity in a category labeled "access control" or "parental control."

0 Kudos
LQ
Reel Rookie

Re: Live TV not working

This still did not solve the issue (I've seen 3 on this forum) where the NBC and PBS .1 channels will flip to .3 and .5 channels automatically (TCL Rokus).  The only way to get those channels is to manually scroll from the adjacent channels to the .1 channel.

0 Kudos
edged1g
Binge Watcher

@LQ 

I posted a video above of the behavior. That the same thing you're seeing? 

0 Kudos
JRambo
Reel Rookie

No that is not what I am seeing. I am only seeing 1 channel (1148).  None of the cable channels are showing at all and the program listings do not come up. I have done all of the resets and updates and nothing has helped. Only this one Roku streaming channel is playing which I don't want or even know where it came from.

0 Kudos