Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 10

Pioneer Elite VSX-32 connected to TCL R625 ARC Question

So I am having alittle problem here. I have an older receiver a Pioneer VSX 32. It's a non 4k receiver. I am using the receiver only for audio. So I have the Pioneer connected from the ARC HDMI to the ARC to the TCL R625. 

The question I have is my reciever will always display DD+ no matter what the source is. If I am watching a 2.0 channel source my receiver won't switch to 2.0 it always displays DD+. Can anyone tell me the reason for this? In my TV I have tried selecting all of the audio options like auto detect, Passthrough and DD+ and DTS options but whatever option it selected my receiver will always say DD+. Anyone have any suggestions on what's going on here? Thanks

8 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Pioneer Elite VSX-32 connected to TCL R625 ARC Question

[Roku TV topic relocated]

@Scottt1174  Thanks for the note here. There are a couple things that may be occurring. First, in Settings>Audio on your TV, you'll need to ensure that all available settings that offer 'Auto/Auto-detect' are set to these options. You don't want to use any settings option to try and limit audio formats if you are using multiple sources that offer different Dolby audio formats. 

If this still isn't resolving the issue, you'll want to ensure that the content you are trying to stream offers the format that you're trying to play. Netflix offers Dolby Digital Plus on some content, for example, and 'The Roku Channel' offers standard Dolby Digital audio for some content. YOu'll need to be using 'Auto/Auto-detect' for applicable settings in order to properly receive both formats. 

Keep us posted if you need more help or have any other questions from there. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Thanks Tanner. I have Auto Detect set on the Roku TV. What I am saying is if I am watching let's say a movie on Tubi Tv which is in 2.0 stereo my Pioneer won't switch on my display to 2 channels so just my left speaker and my right speaker light up. My reciever shouldnt always have my 5 channel speakers lit up and display DD+. I mean I can switch to the advance surrounds like Drama, Games stuff like that but I cant put it in Dolby Prologic II to get the 2 channels to play in all my speakers. Also the reason why I want to see the switch is because I don't know what the source is playing if it's 2.0 or 5.1. Do you understand what I am talking about? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@Scottt1174  Thanks for the added context. It sounds like either the TV or receiver is possibly transcoding the audio from Stereo to DD+. 

To change this on your model of Roku TV, go into Settings>Audio, and under S/PDIF and ARC, select 'Auto passthrough'. This will pass the audio stream from the channel through to your receiver.

If you are still seeing the DD+ playback behavior on stereo audio streams from there, you'll need to look at reviewing the receiver's configuration and settings to see what may be causing that behavior. 

Keep us posted! 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Thanks Tanner yeah I tried every audio selection in the Roku TV still no change. I am gonna have to do a factory reset on my receiver. I even changed the input on the TV for my receiver to auto, 1.4 and 2.0. not sure if that's for both audio and video but I tried all of them and still no luck. Cause my receiver inputs are 1.4 not 2.0. 

If I do a factory reset on my receiver do I select AMP or Through? I think I select AMP right? Or does that not matter?

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@Scottt1174  Hmm. I'm not an A/V receiver expert, so I wouldn't want to steer you in the wrong direction. I might recommend contacting Pioneer support for more help with the settings and configuration. They can likely help provide better guidance. 

You can reach them directly at: 1 (800) 421-1404 or online at: https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Support

Hope they can be of more help here! 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Yeah that was my next option. Thanks Tanner for your help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Hello everyone I am having the same issue with the TCL R625 and ARC. So my setup is a TCL R625 connected to a Yamaha RXV685BL. Essentially whether set to "auto" or "auto pass through", when viewing content with 2.0 audio, the TCL sends the audio to the Yamaha as DD+ 5.1 with the center, surround left and right channels muted. The only way to get the TCL R625 to send 2.0 audio over as 2.0 is to change the ARC settings to PCM-audio. However the problem is everything (including true 5.1 content) is sent over as 2.0 PCM. I even went one step further and took my previous Roku 4670X and connected it to my Yamaha and it works normally. 5.1 content and 2.0 content are automatically sent over to the receiver in their native format. Unfortunately the 4670X doesn't support Atmos (which my receiver and Netflix support), and defeats the purpose of having a Roku TV if I'm gonna plug a separate Roku into it.

The reason I need this feature is my Yamaha can take 2.0 audio and create a nice virtual surround effect in 7.1 using Dolby or DTS. But when the receiver gets a 5.1 signal (even though its really 2.0) it doesn't apply these nice audio effects. A firmware update that allows the R625 to send audio via ARC in its true native format and switch dynamically as the content changes (e.g.: PCM 2.0, DD+ 5.1, DTS 5.1) is much needed for me to get the full home theater experience please. An update to eARC would be even better! (if possible)

Thank you for your time!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Just an update, I factory reset my AVR and TV to no avail, 2.0 is still being sent over to the receiver as faux 5.1

0 Kudos