Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jashansen
Level 8

Re: Picture settings won’t change.

After a year or so of this problem.  I finally fixed the issue! I bought a Sony X90J!

pixelwiz
Level 7

Yeah, I returned mine to Costco, and bought a Hisense H8G to replace it from Best Buy (unfortunately Costco didn't have those, and had to pay for extended warranty at Best Buy) but at least I have a TV with a good screen that works correctly.  Although full disclosure, it had a few glitches too, but then they pushed another update through Android TV, and seems very stable for a few weeks now.

0 Kudos
GuitarMan
Level 10

I just started having this issue myself on a 65R635.  I thought it was my imagination but then saw this thread.  When I adjust the picture settings, on some settings there is no visible difference, even from the lowest to the highest setting.  Also, the motion smoothing/action clarity settings seem to be stuck on Off.  When I change them, I can cycle through low/medium/high but there is no visible difference.  It's not my imagination.

When I use the app to adjust the gamma settings, there is also no visible change from the lowest to highest settings. 

Sometimes if I go into the TV's Power menu and do a restart from there it starts working again but eventually it will stop.  A restart does fix it for a while but then it goes back to not working.

This seems to have started recently. This thread has been around for a while but still no solutions?

You'd think I could just set everything while it's working and not mess with the settings again but I am always adjusting the gamma based on the movie/show I'm watching (movies with a lot of dark scenes I lower the gamma to bring out more shadow detail), and also the motion/smoothing depending on the source.  For higher resolution sources I'll turn the motion settings off but for lower res stuff I like turning them on to make the picture pop a little more.  So when it stops working, it's annoying to have to restart everything. 

Because doing a system restart from the TV's power menu does get the setting working again, it's not a deal-breaker, but it is definitely an annoyance. 

TV's software version is 10.0.0:4197

0 Kudos
WatchThemFall
Level 7

I just noticed this problem as well. Restarting fixes it for a small amount of time. Factory reset doesn't work any better. As soon as I switch inputs it stops working until another restart/reset. How is this not being fixed? It is literally the most basic function of a TV, and it has apparently been broken for this long? Why??

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@WatchThemFall

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What exactly are you seeing and can you provide the steps to reproduce the issue?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
j4315
Level 8

With all due respect this issue has been going on for over a year and all the info you need is already in this thread. You lost my custom and a few more because of it. 

0 Kudos
GuitarMan
Level 10

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

@WatchThemFall

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What exactly are you seeing and can you provide the steps to reproduce the issue?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

See my post for more details.    But if you would like a summary, here it is.

1. Intermittently, the following functions stop working and changing the settings has no effect.  Gamma, all motion smoothing settings.

2.  I cannot reproduce it at will, it simply happens every so often.

3.  Restarting the TV via the System>Power option restores the functionality of the settings.

4.  For me this is happening on a TCL 65R635 Roku TV. 

0 Kudos
GuitarMan
Level 10

@j4315 wrote:

With all due respect this issue has been going on for over a year and all the info you need is already in this thread. You lost my custom and a few more because of it. 

After reading through a bunch of the threads here I've started wondering if maybe some of the mods aren't actually bots that reply with standard pre-scripted responses. 

Level 7

When will this issue go away? How long does it take for for this to actually get fixed?  Seems like it's been doing this to other customers. It doesn't matter what I do it'll go it only lasts for a bit. I want a real solution, not a temporary fix

0 Kudos
j4315
Level 8

@3001 wrote:

When will this issue go away? How long does it take for for this to actually get fixed?  Seems like it's been doing this to other customers. It doesn't matter what I do it'll go it only lasts for a bit. I want a real solution, not a temporary fix

The only real fix is to ditch Roku and buy a TV that works as it should. This has been going on for a long time with no fix from Roku