Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor45763
Level 14

Re: Picture settings won’t change.

@Bonesbrigade167 wrote: I don’t know who their devs are but they don’t seem to care or they are completely inept at their jobs. 

Either it's arrogant "hacker" type developers who can't be bothered with mature, formal development standards (like change control, testing & bug tracking. They're too good for that burden.). Or, it's been offshored to people following a written spec, without any creative/personal investment. Even if the result doesn't make sense to the coder, "that's what they said to do. It's not my job to question their vision."

I've worked in both environments. It looks like either. Or, it could be bad management, under-investment in development. The more I see, the more clear it is that we're not customers. We're the product being sold to content providers. We're the source of monetized events.

Think of a puppy mill. Caged, cranking out babies for sale. You'd think the mill owner would treat it's productive, revenue-generating sires & dams well. But, there's no need to. When one dies from poor care (neglect), it's easily replaced.

So, it's entirely possible that's the disregard given to software development.

I think a lot of the problem: we over-think it. We ascribe normal, humane ideals to what is likely a very usurious business model. that views us as a commodity (not a relationship to value and preserve). We're just monetizable. Not people who need to be kept happy. Just "click, baby. Click." (Break the antenna tv interface so you have to change through a thousand streaming channels to get where you want, or scroll through a guide-full (and perhaps click on something you wouldn't if it wasn't there). Things like hiding channels, and favorites are circumventions to monetized events (carriage fees, ad sharing).

It looks like the Matrix to me. We're those comatose bodies in tubs, fed what we need, powering the illusion. When a body is no longer profitable, the tub tips upsidedown. The corpse spills out. The tub is more important than the replaceable person in it.

I think that image explains everything about Roku, and who we are. As Morpheous said to Neo after choosing the red pill: "welcome, to the desert of the real." Our complaints mean about as much as Jeffery Dahmer's victims' did. We're just objects in a much larger reality of Roku's. The money comes from the content providers.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
Bonesbrigade167
Level 8

@RokuDanny-R  Hi Danny. The issue is whenever I switch inputs or use a streaming app, the picture settings get locked into place. I am unable to switch between picture settings ie: the settings will not change between vivid, movie, low power etc. This also affects switching between cool, normal and warm settings. If I perform a system restart, it will allow me to change settings until I switch between the hdmi inputs. I am running version 9.4

0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Level 14

@Bonesbrigade167 wrote: Hi Danny. The issue is ...

This thread is over SIX MONTHS OLD. He knows what the issue is. Click on his profile to see his posting history. You're getting the voice-menu treatment. You'll hear nothing back.

Six months from now, someone else will post to this thread. The response will be like it's the first time they've heard of it. They're just waiting for people to leave, and putting on a plausible show of support.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
Visitor45763
Level 14

@Visitor45763 wrote:

@Bonesbrigade167 wrote: Hi Danny. The issue is ...

This thread is over SIX MONTHS OLD. He knows what the issue is.

I hope I didn't sound belligerent toward you. It just bothers me because I see so many customers, in good faith, report a problem. They get an encouraging "please, tell us more" -- and then nothing happens. The customer goes away thinking "I've been heard, surely something will happen. I just have to be patient." Weeks turn into months. Months turn into years. (Roku spends a fortune expanding into other markets, or buying Neilsen's ad software to monetize you better.). The next person reports it. "Really? tell us all about it so we can help."

It's gaslighting. People have been waiting months (even years) on bad faith. I'd respect Roku if they just said "we don't care." What they do is abusive. They give an insincere, false hope. Click his profile, look at his posting history. You won't have to look very long. You'll see how "deep" support is. It's a fraud. It's like a marketing department's version of support. Appearance only. It's not sincere other than to give the appearance.

0 Kudos
j4315
Level 8

I actually managed to solve this issue in the end. As the TV was only 2 weeks old I returned it and bought an Android TV powered set instead. Problem solved. This was my first experience with Roku and it seems it will be my last. Maybe they should stick with separate boxes or TV sticks. 

pixelwiz
Level 7

I just got a new Hisense 55" R8 55R8F5 TV, and every time I turn it on, I get 100% backlight, and I can't adjust it until I reset the TV.  There must be a fix, I really don't want to go return it and buy an Android version, this one was $80 cheaper at Costco than the H8G at Best Buy, although maybe for good reason...

0 Kudos
whiselen
Level 7

I'll add here that I'm having the same issue.  Looking across the forums, this issue has been going on for years....no idea why they won't address it.

0 Kudos
whiselen
Level 7

Ok, follow-up from yesterday.  If I actually select the input I want and display it (in my case, the Nintendo Switch interface), from there, the * button brought up the picture settings and allowed me to change them. 

0 Kudos
pixelwiz
Level 7

I could get to the sliders for adjusting the picture settings, but the backlight slider didn't do anything, it's stuck at 100%

0 Kudos
jashansen
Level 8

I've been having this issue on and off for a little while now.  I have a TCL 55R615.  It'll be fine for a while, then one day we'll turn the TV on and everything is bright and motion effect on.  I check the input settings and they are what I set them to, but the TV is not adhering to my settings.  I can restart the TV and that works sometimes, other times I've had to factory default the TV.  Getting the point where I my just finally give up and go with a different brand as when I bring this issue up with support.  They tell me the same thing... factory default, power cycle, etc... nothing about what THEY are doing to fix this issue that appears to be affecting multiple customers.

0 Kudos