Berlin007
Reel Rookie

Pairing streambar to Roku express

I recently purchased a Roku Express (3930, 3931 series)  and aRoku Streambar to use with my projector. I understand they are both streaming devices. My intention was to connect the Express to the projector via HDMI, (located at the back of the room) and then use the streambar to connect wirelessly via WiFi and place it at the front of the room. However, the express does not detect the streambar. Is this set up not possible? Thanks

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Pairing streambar to Roku express

@Berlin007 

You don't pair an Express to anything. It's a very simple device, and doesn't pair to anything.

If you have a Streambar, that is a Roku device. The Express is superfluous in that setup. You could do what you want without the Express.

However, if the projector outputs audio, it will work with the Streambar as it would any sound bar, and you could use the Express to play.

But I'd take the Express out of the mix and just use the Streambar with the projector.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Berlin007
Reel Rookie

Thanks for your reply. I have an Express 4K+ but I imagine that wouldn't make a difference. Unfortunately my projector does not have an HDMI-ARC port, which means that it is incompatible with the streambar. I also would not want the streambar to project audio from behind the couch, where the projector is. My hope was to be able to connect the streambar to the express 4K via wifi to serve as a wireless audio output at the front of the room. The same way the roku wireless speakers can connect to a Roku TV. But I realize now that this is not possible. I am curious if anyone has successfully used a Roku wireless setup with a projector at all, or if they always need a wired output.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@Berlin007

Thank you for the additional information. 

I understand that you are looking to use the Roku Streambar as a wireless audio output at the front of the room while your Roku Express is connected to your projector via HDMI.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to use the Streambar wirelessly without a direct HDMI connection to a TV or device with HDMI-ARC support. In this case, it seems that a wired output is necessary for the Streambar to function as intended.

To learn more, you may refer to this link: How to set up your Roku Streambar

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other concerns.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos