Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Pairing Bluetooth headphones?

Jump to solution
How to use headphones? Tv only has option for speakers.
Thx.
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Pairing Bluetooth headphones?

Jump to solution

Hi there, 

Thanks for the note. Support for directly pairing Bluetooth devices to a Roku TV is only enabled when using Roku TV Wireless Speakers, or when using a Roku Smart Soundbar. You cannot pair a Bluetooth device directly to your Roku TV on its own.  

I'd recommend you try using the free Roku mobile app's private listening feature to listen to streaming channel audio on your bluetooth headphones while paired to your mobile phone. See more here: https://support.roku.com/article/217478308-how-do-i-use-headphones-on-my-mobile-device-for-private-l...

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@Will446  Thanks for the note. You can use the free Roku mobile app's private listening feature to listen to streaming channel audio from your Roku devices on your bluetooth headphones when they are paired to your mobile phone. See more here: https://support.roku.com/article/217478308-how-do-i-use-headphones-on-my-mobile-device-for-private-l...

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

Hi there, 

Thanks for the note. Support for directly pairing Bluetooth devices to a Roku TV is only enabled when using Roku TV Wireless Speakers, or when using a Roku Smart Soundbar. You cannot pair a Bluetooth device directly to your Roku TV on its own.  

I'd recommend you try using the free Roku mobile app's private listening feature to listen to streaming channel audio on your bluetooth headphones while paired to your mobile phone. See more here: https://support.roku.com/article/217478308-how-do-i-use-headphones-on-my-mobile-device-for-private-l...

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

This is unfortunate and will probably discourage me from purchasing any Roku enabled device in future.  I do have 3 or 4 Roku's and recently acquired a Roku TV that I installed in one of my bedrooms.  I thought that like my Sony Bravia I could pair my Bose QC headphones and listen to the Roku TV without disturbing my wife or kids. Now I find out that in order to do so I have to spend another $200 for a pair of Roku speakers or a Roku soundbar,  (I was unaware that proprietary Bluetooth even existed.) or find another "work-around".  Not cool Roku! 

Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@Will446  Thanks for the note. You can use the free Roku mobile app's private listening feature to listen to streaming channel audio from your Roku devices on your bluetooth headphones when they are paired to your mobile phone. See more here: https://support.roku.com/article/217478308-how-do-i-use-headphones-on-my-mobile-device-for-private-l...

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

I want to listen to the Roku tv through my Beats wireless headphones, will buying the speakers pair with my headphones and allow me to listen to the tv without the speakers actually playing, I am currently using the headphone jack and a long cord to quiet the tv and have sound coming  from my Beats, the tv is in the bedroom and I don't want to disturb my wife as she sleeps, I have tried the digital output, but that was a nightmare, a response to my querry would be appreciated!

George $ier

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

It's really sad to realize that, i have same problem.

I'll have to disable the Roku system on TV, and use my Apple TV.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Yes this is unfortunate and I won't be buying anymore Roku enabled TV's because of this very reason. Hopefully someone at Roku comes to their senses.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

>> Support for directly pairing Bluetooth devices to a Roku TV is only enabled when using Roku TV Wireless Speakers, or when using a Roku Smart Soundbar.

Does that mean the TV can only pair directly with Roku speakers and Roku Soundbar?  Or can a Roku TV with Roku Speakers also pair directly with bluetooth headphones?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

If you have the Roku speakers or the Roku soundbar you can connect your headphones to those via Bluetooth.  You can also download the Roku app to your cellphone and connect your headphones to your cellphone.  Either way, there is no way to connect wireless headphones directly to a Roku T.V.   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Ok I installed the app and Bluetooth "works". But do you know the lag that it has? It is so frustrating seeing a car blow up and 200ms later your hear the sound. Now blame my WiFi for that, instead of poor product decisions.

Why you have to be so selfish? My 65" Roku tv can't do basic Bluetooth. Shame on you.

0 Kudos