Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
reds91185
Level 8

Options Menu and Volume Icon Are Small

I have a TCL series 6 Roku tv and the options menu and volume icon are tiny, like the picture is zoomed out or the resolution settings are off. The aspect ratio of actual shows are fine on multiple apps, TiVo, and blu-ray player...just the menu and volume icon. Any ideas on what is causing this? All updates are current. 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
9 Replies
reds91185
Level 8

Re: Options Menu and Volume Icon Are Small

Update - the issue seems to have resolved itself overnight. It's a 55R615 running 9.1.0 build 4917-30 last updated on 9/13/19. The only new thing added was the Youtube TV app. Could this have been the cause?

0 Kudos
ssmithsonjr
Level 8

This has happened to me twice in the last 3 days. Restarting the TV seems to fix it, but it's super annoying. I have a 55R617 running version 9.1.0, Build 4917, last updated 9/13/19.
Tags (1)
Community Manager
Community Manager

@ssmithsonjr  Thanks for getting in touch. I have a few more questions to help understand the issue you're seeing a bit better: 

- What source are you watching when you observe this issue? A streaming channel, and HDMI input device like a cable box or blu-ray player, etc.?

- Does this occur when you first turn the TV on, when switching HDMI inputs, during content playback, etc.?

- Could you please take a picture of the issue the next time this occurs on screen, and share it with us? 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
ssmithsonjr
Level 8

I was experiencing the issue in every streaming app I used (YouTube TV, Fox Sports and HBO Go were apps I used and saw it in) along with the Home screen. Obviously, the UI doesn't show the left-hand menu when on the home screen, but it does display the volume icon, which was experiencing the issue.

The issue happened when first turning on the TV and also during streaming.

The issue would persist when turning the TV on and off. Since I have Fast TV Start activated, I turned the TV "off" with the remote, unplugged the TV for 30 seconds and then plugged it back in and powered it back on. That resolved the issue the first time. The second time, I restarted the TV from the Home screen by going to Settings, System, Power, System restart, Restart. Once the TV restarted, the issue was resolved again.

The next time this issue occurs, I'll be sure to get a picture of the screen before restarting the TV.
0 Kudos
reds91185
Level 8

Initially I thought the problem fixed itself but over the past couple of days it has come and gone a few times. It occurs while watching multiple sources - TiVo on HDMI for over the air channels and the Roku TV built in apps (Youtube TV, Netflix, Prime). I notice it at random times when changing the volume, then pressing the * button to bring up the menu.

reds91185
Level 8

Today I turned on the tv, which is set to tune to the HDMI input for the TiVo by default, and the menu was normal size and the volume icon at the upper right corner. Then I switched to the built in Youtube TV app which made the menu tiny again and the volume icon small and placed at the upper center of the display. 

IMG_6192.jpeg

ssmithsonjr
Level 8

Below are screenshots from this issue happening again. I was watching YouTube and noticed when I changed the volume that the issue had occurred again.

20191019_001033.jpgOptions menu during video playback20191019_001019.jpgVolume icon

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the pictures and additional details—this is helpful! 

Could you please send me a private message with your Roku TV serial number from Settings>System>About, and include a recap of the steps you took when you saw the issue occur on screen? 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
tlm00082
Level 7

I had the same issue. Doing a system restart from the settings menu fixed it. Very strange!
0 Kudos