Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Optical cable from sound bar to rca style digital audio output

I bought a Roku smart sound bar and Roku surround speaker set but the TV's digital audio output is an rca style plug which is obviously not compatible. How can I connect the two? I have no HDMI ARC plug on the TV (2010 Sanyo)

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Optical cable from sound bar to rca style digital audio output

You can't, if you don't have hdmi-arc for the two-way traffic of audio and video, then you have to use a combination of regular hdmi cable and optical. Without either of those inputs and outputs you can't have the tv speakers and soundbar together. You can leave the audio with the soundbar and just use the tv as a monitor for the video part. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Are you saying the sound bar will work on its own by connecting it to a regular HDMI port rather than HDMI ARC port?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Yes, hdmi arc is needed to send both audio and video from the soundbar to the TV, at the same time allow audio to go from the tv to soundbar for other components connected to the tv. That's the two way traffic, with just a regular hdmi you will only have audio and video go from the soundbar to the tv. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

So the the short answer is the Roku sound bar and surround sound speakers will not work with my current TV.

0 Kudos