Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
supercrush
Reel Rookie

Re: Onn roku tv - no volume on any channel

Jump to solution

Ya, I have to unplug it every few days I either lose audio completely or dialog gets out of sync Thats what I get for buying a $79.00 TV

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@mzbeautiful wrote: If you have the fast start option enabled, disable it. Once I did that I haven’t had any issues with sound 

Also do the "restart" option in that same settings>system>power menu. Fast-start is like hibernating a laptop. It saves the memory state, never loads a fresh copy of its programs. If something goes wrong, it stays wrong until you unplug the tv (the off/on button doesn't do it. It just hibernates, and keeps whatever's corrupted). Disabling it is good. But, I think it still needs a restart at that point. The option to restart is right there with fast-start.

Disabling fast-start (and restarting) has worked for a "green screen" problem too. But, not for everyone. (It could be the same with this no-volume problem.). The way Roku's updates break random tvs -- and solutions (like fast-start/restart only work for some people), I think we're seeing how bad Roku's environment/system is. It sounds like a very haphazard hardware environment, and badly managed software development. I don't think Roku knows what's going on (nor cares).

For those who can't fix it: I would do the system>advanced>factory-reset. But, during the initial setup, tell it you don't have internet. Then watch antenna tv and/or connected HDMI devices. See if the problem's gone. If so, it was caused by Roku's famously untested updates. Then you have two choices:

1. You could leave it in this no-internet state to watch antenna tv. For streaming, connect an inexpensive Firestick, Google TV or Apple TV. 

If you don't want to use two remotes, use the URC 7935 (simple learning remote).

Roku has/had a good reputation with its external boxes. That might be a valid option too. But, after the Roku TV experience, that seems like a path I wouldn't easily choose. I think Roku's external boxes work better because the hardware is more under its control. I think Roku TV is a disaster because it involves so much hardware variety Roku can't [doesn't want to] work with it the way it needs to be.

2. If the tv works well with streaming, it could be left connected to the Internet, and use an external digital tv tuner (I'm using the inexpensive iView 3500) to watch antenna tv through an HDMI port.

If you don't want to use two remotes, use the URC-7880 (learning remote with number keypad for the iView tuner which accepts number access to channels.).

Those two options would be a way to continue using the tv cheaply ($30 for either the streaming box or tuner). The first option protects you from future buggy Roku updates. You're completely free of the problem (Roku).

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
MWalls

Jump to solution

This worked! I had volume but every channel was like a whisper unless it was the roku channel. Thank you!! I was afraid my new tv of just a few days was gonna be returned! 

gdavis235
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I've tried every solution listed on this website and forum to no avail.  I followed all of Roku customer support's requests and answered all questions - only to never hear from them again.  This is the worst customer service and I will never buy another Roku product.  It makes ZERO sense for something to work for years and suddenly stop when the customer has not changed a thing.

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@gdavis235 wrote: I've tried every solution listed on this website and forum to no avail. 

That's what's puzzling (interesting) to me. The problems seem random, as do the ad-hoc solutions. A bunch of TCL owners don't get any OTA channels populated in antenna tv's new "recently viewed." I have two TCL TVs and I do (but the new streaming channels aren't populated after I watch some. But, those other people, IIRC, say they do.).

One person's "green screen" is fixed by disabling "fast-start" and restarting (in settings>system>power). But, others aren't. 

I've read speculation that Roku (and the TV manufacturers) are engaging in "planned obsolescence." Basically killing your tv to motivate you to buy a new one. It sounds paranoid. But, Apple was exposed for doing exactly that. 

So, the bizarre'ness of the problems (and randomness of solutions) makes a person wonder what exactly is going on. How could the Roku'sphere be that out of whack unless it's planned? The lack of caring about it supports that speculation. (You'd expect most companies to be appalled that customers are having such bizarre/random issues. But, it's just another day in Roku-land.).

One think you might try is system>advanced>factory reset. Tell the initial setup you don't have internet. It will install something less broken than the latest untested update Roku pushes. That put my antenna viewing back to something usable. For streaming, I'm going to use a $22 USD Amazon Firestik Lite connected to an HDMI port. 

If your problem went away that way, you could continue to get life out of your tv. Plus, whenever the time comes, you could update things one at a time. If a new external streaming box catches your eye, it wouldn't be like you have to buy a bundled/overloaded tv. Just replace the inexpensive streaming box. If you ever needed to buy a new tv, you wouldn't have to wonder what you're getting yourself into. Just keep it "dumb" and disconnected from the internet for maximum stability.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

I've tried every solution listed on this website and forum to no avail.  I followed all of Roku customer support's requests and answered all questions - only to never hear from them again.  This is the worst customer service and I will never buy another Roku product.  It makes ZERO sense for something to work for years and suddenly stop when the customer has not changed a thing. 

We're very sorry to hear of the troubles. I'll escalate your ticket but at this point, if you've tried all steps, you may be experiencing a hardware issue. Your best bet would be to contact the TV manufacturer directly to see if they can help or give you warranty options. 
You can reach them here: http://onntvsupport.com/#product_support-2 or at 1-888-412-6886.

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.
0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@RokuAustin wrote: ... I'll escalate your ticket ...

Does that ticket have a number? Something we could query for a status?

Also, I noticed your posting history ended last October. It resumed about 12 hours ago. Did Danny find honest work?

I guess I'm saying: your red moniker reminds me of some western movies where Jimmy Stewart (or Glenn Ford) comes to town, and makes their presence known. Is there a new sheriff in town? (What should we expect to be different?).

0 Kudos
CCAMMYM

Jump to solution

The most amazing 🤩 cheat code ever!!!  So tired of unplugging this “TV”. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I just bought the Roku Express i get pic on my tv but no sound it comes thru my phone instead of the tv please help

0 Kudos
lawriekim

Jump to solution

I also solved no audio by unplugging it for a minute. That trick actually works for a lot of stuff. Unplug, hold down power button if there is one, wait a minute or two, plug it back in and turn it on.v

0 Kudos