Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moyerfam

Re: Onn Roku TV Keeps Crashing To The Selection Screen

Jump to solution

Danny, I have a brand new Onn Roku tv. I can only watch the Roku channel.  All other apps play for up to 5 minutes then go back to menu.  Any app other than Roku itself. Our Walmart won't take back TVs as I have to contact Roku or Onn. Very frustrating when its brand new. 

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Moyerfam wrote: Our Walmart won't take back TVs as I have to contact Roku or Onn.

I'm sorry you're having this experience. If it's a brand new tv, why won't Walmart take it back? Do you not have the original packaging or something? (There must be more to that situation. I thought they give you 30 days.).

If you can't return it, I would contact Onn to start the warranty process. If Onn tells you to talk to Roku, tell Onn that your warranty is with them. Roku's essentially denying there's any problems (if you look at this forum). Let Onn know that you'll file a formal complaint with the FTC and your state AG if they're trying to evade their warranty to you.

For self-help, you might try home>settings>system>power>restart. (If "fast start" is enabled, I would disable that. It can cause problems.). Usually when streaming apps don't work, Roku tells you to remove the app, do that power-menu restart, then install the app. (If that doesn't work, they tell you to talk to the streaming app's support. But, it's hard to believe all these apps are having trouble.).

You could try factory-restart, but tell it you don't have internet ("i'll do it later," but don't do it). That seems to use a less buggy version of Roku's software. Then use something like a $22 Firestick Lite to stream through an HDMI port. You shouldn't have to do this. Onn should fix it (if you can't return it). But, if you ended up without any options, that might work. Others are doing it. If Onn fixes the tv, you might still consider doing that because Roku's updates don't appear to be tested, and break tvs. It could be wise to disconnect from that anyway.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
Juliosz

Jump to solution

Run update in the TV settings and go to system and update 👌

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

When trying to launch apps mine stops before anything comes up and goes back to the Home Screen. I have an onn 32 in roku tv. I also have another 32 inch and 2 55 inch all same brand and worried they are gonna start too 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

My tv also does the exact same thing... I don’t understand why it keeps doing this. I didn’t purchase the tv, I won it at a company Christmas party at work. I don’t know if I should return it or trash it.. kinda aggravated 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hi @Alishia2004 and @mariaconner2012,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you are experiencing. 

Can you please provide us the following information:

-Roku TV brand and model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Beckers1968
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same. Had to factory reset. Worked for about a week now back to same problem. Walmart **bleep** tv. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hey @Beckers1968

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Please provide us the needed information from my post above so we can further help you out. 

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Beckers1968
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

You can’t use the remote at all when it happens let alone home button and back button 5 times. The tv won’t even turn off. You have to wait for it to kick back to home at least 3 minutes each time. After the 3rd time I just say forget it and go to antenna tv.  At least I have that but I could have bought a non “smart” tv for $100.

model: onn 100012585

serial: x00000g4fgc9
Device id: s06rc074fgc9

software: 10.0.0 • build 4197-cm

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Thanks for the information, @Beckers1968

This issue has been escalated and is still under investigation. Once we received feedback or update, we'll let the Community know immediately. 

In the meantime, you can try following the steps below. If any or all channels are not loading, this is likely from a failed automatic update. Customers have reported doing the following to resolve their issue: 

1. Go to Settings > System > System update > Check Now
  2. The device should then proceed to hang/freeze and reboot. Immediately do the above again, and the update should apply. After it finishes, back out once then: Settings > System > Power > System restart
  3. The device should do the long restart with a red screen then go to your Home screen. You should then be able to load and watch channels as usual.

Please keep us posted!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos