Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

OTA connection drops signal every 10-15 seconds

My TCL Roku set, less than a year old, suddenly started dropping my OTA connection every 10-15 seconds only to return 3-4 seconds later. I have 3 other samsung roku combinations in the house all run normally on a OTA antenna selection. I've redone the channel select and eliminated "favorites" as suggested for other OTA problems to no avail. I've also plugged in a different room antenna thinking I may have a coxial problem unique to this set. I'm getting 2 bars and thought that might be the problem however the other sets are getting the same signal strength I assume since off the same attic antenna. Befuddled as it initially worked just fine.

10 Replies
Highlighted
Level 13

Re: OTA connection drops signal every 10-15 seconds

Are you using the LIVE TV PAUSE feature with a Flash Drive installed in the USB Port of your Roku TV?

I have seen similar OTA behavior when the LIVE TV PAUSE feature encounters an issue with writing to the Flash Drive. It seems to build up a 10-15 second buffer and then resets constantly, which is the behavior you seem to be describing. If you are using the LIVE TV PAUSE feature, I would suggest disabling the feature and removing the Flash Drive to troubleshoot if this removes the issue. If it does then you may consider using a different Flash Drive or have it format it again when you enable LIVE TV PAUSE feature. My issue was that I had a small USB hub installed that was under powered and was causing an issue when LIVE TV PAUSE was trying to create the buffer. I removed the hub and the issue went away. I eventually added back a different hub that seems to provide the proper voltage to the Flash Drive to not create the issue.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
Highlighted
Level 21

Not to discount the idea offered about the TV pause function, but this really just sounds like a OTA signal level issue. When broadcast TV switched from analog to digital, we had to get used to the need for a stronger signal to ensure a steady signal. With digital broadcast, there's a threshold that the signal has to exceed of the display just goes blank. If you're right at the edge, you might see some picture breakup (pixeization). But below the threshold you just lose the image, just as you describe, with it returning again if it's again high enough. 

I can state that multiple TVs attached to the same antenna don't always perform the same. I have a distribution amp in my garage feeding my four TVs and one PC tuner, and all will exhibit different performance on the same channels. You mentioned two bars for a signal level. If that's a scale of 1-5, 2 is pretty low and likely hitting the threshold level. 

One last thing. Many OTA stations are moving frequencies due to the FCC Repack. So they can remain on the air, they are often switching to a temporary broadcast tower in a different location, and possibly at a lower power than normal. All this could cause a previously strong station to suddenly become a reception problem.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

The behavior the OP described I have seen due to LIVE TV PAUSE buffering issue on a TCL Roku TV. It is a quick troubleshooting step to consider if it is in use, before chasing down signal strength issues.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
Highlighted
Level 8

I have the same thing happening on two different TCL Roku TVs in different houses and I am 100% certain it is not an antenna signal strength issue.  I'll remove the USB Pause Live TV and see if that fixes it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I was experiencing the same type of behavior (OTA connection dropping signal every 10-15 seconds, or sometimes less often, sometimes more often) while the OTA signal seemed to remain strong. I removed the USB drive and disabled Pause Live TV, and the problem seems to have gone away. I have had several days of trouble free operation since I did this.

Highlighted
Level 9

I had this same issue and when I removed the USB in back it stopped. The issues I was not experiencing the typical pixelation prior to the drop indicative of a input receive level issue (antenna). I was using a typical 16GB USB card. I haven't plugged another one in yet but I am thinking maybe it had something to do with the read-write speed capability of the device. For example is the ROKU TCL capable of USB 3? Can I find a better R/W speed for my USB, Can I use a powered enclosed HD. I have a SSD drive enclosed but it is 120GB and overkill (they only need what 8GB in size for the pause/rewinding function?).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Yes - removing the USB for Pause Live TV fixed the intermittent connection drop.  I put another USB drive in and setup Pause Live TV again and so far it has been fine.  But if it happens again, I know how to quickly fix the issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Give it a try while watching a 1080p sporting event, or some other high-resolution program. With the change of USB device did it still perform good under those circumstances? I am not certain but I'm starting to wonder if the USB port is 3.0 capable for the benefit of faster R/W speed
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Sorry for digging an old thread like that but yeah I was amazed when I saw that my tv had this feature. At first when I setup my antenna everything worked perfect but after trying to change the input I found out that neither of them worked... as soon as I removed the usb drive (lexar 32gb usb3.0) everything worked.

0 Kudos