Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

OTA channel choppy or pixelated

This is a weird, but very annoying little bug that has appeared with the most recent release.

I use OTA antenna channels quite a bit. When it's a little windy or rain, which it often is here in Seattle, an OTA channel will get choppy or pixelated and cut out a bit occasionally. It can be a little annoying and can make things a little tough to watch sometimes, but at least I know what causes it and know that there's not much that can be done about it. 

However, with the latest software upgrade, a whole new related issue has arisen that is making these channels pretty much unwatchable. Now, when the channel gets even the slightest chop my TV seems to think I've switch channels and brings up the program information. So, in addition to the main issue, I now have the program information displayed at the bottom of the screen every few seconds. 

Hoping that someone either has a solution to this or that a programmer will take note and try to address in the next update. Thanks.

1 Reply
Level 9

Re: Channel guide bug with latest release

@gking727 wrote:

... with the latest software upgrade, a whole new related issue has arisen that is making these channels pretty much unwatchable. Now, when the channel gets even the slightest chop my TV seems to think I've switch channels and brings up the program information. So, in addition to the main issue, I now have the program information displayed at the bottom of the screen every few seconds. 

Others have mentioned that. See this post (and the one following it). I don't think we're going to know whether Roku sees this as a problem, or not. (It's entirely possible Roku thinks that's a jazzy feature, and you should just get used to it.). That's part of the frustration with these problems. We report them, but never hear anything more about it. That adds to the frustration (compared to if we were told up front "that's how it is" -- and you can cut your losses without waiting and hoping with misplaced hope. It's entirely possible we'll be talking about this a year from now.).

One option is to buy a "digital tv tuner with HDMI output." Use that to watch antenna tv for as long as Roku doesn't break your HDMI. You can google that quoted phrase. They're not too expensive ($30 USD). I've never used one. Maybe they're all junk, I don't know. My old DTV converters worked great. I could press "2" and within 3-4 seconds (without pressing another button) it would drop me on that channel. That was a fast way to jump from 45 to 10, etc. Instead of continuous channel-change. Those converters were cheap, and felt like someone put some personal investment into intuitive operation. (It's really striking to me how Roku is *the* tv thing -- and feels like nobody there actually uses it.). So, I'm assuming these inexpensive tuners might feel more pleasant to use than Roku's antenna experience. (Roku has broken or turned off the continuous channel change now. It was already pretty slow. Now you have to press the button to change exactly one channel at a time. Favorites are gone. 1000 steaming channels were added, which you can't individually hide. And, of course, you get to press the channel change button 1000 times to step through them. Customers have been asking for a numeric remote for years. That would be handy now. But, Roku's vision doesn't allow for that. The more vision I see, the less I like.).

"[Roku CEO] Wood’s goal is to control video access to the world — to be the 'one box that rules them all.'" (Techcrunch, February 23, 2011). The latest software update removed any doubt who rules & controls my TV.
0 Kudos