Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Legierk
Streaming Star

Re: [OS 10.5] Roku TV signal strength on OTA antenna

Jump to solution

I still have this issue as well. This is the only thing that the update "broke", as far as I know. We have 2 Roku TVs in the house, and both show one bar since the update. I have not tried the OTA diagnostic menu yet. Did it actually fix anything? Or does in confirm the signal strength is very weak on all channels? Prior to the update, channels would have various numbers of bars, obviously depending on signal strength. Now, every channel has one bar, and it also appears to be a very weak signal (pixelation, dropouts, etc.), which tells me the "one bar" signal strength indicator is working correctly. 

I understand that this is a first world problem. I do have a very large outdoor antenna, btw. Anyhow, I didn't read through this entire thread, but I do see that Roku is aware (even though they say they have fixed all the issues with OS 10.5). 

I hope that a solution is forthcoming. 

0 Kudos
noob99999
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@Legierk

It may be a 1st world problem, but it's also almost certainly an EASY fix.  It's ridiculous they've left this unfixed, and unaddressed, for months.  Everyone should be bombarding them with complaints.

FishTank
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

After following this topic for far too long, I decided to call TCL/Roku today re this OTA 1-bar Signal Strength issue.  Does it surprise anyone they had no clue what I was talking about?  They wanted to trouble-shoot my TV.  I explained I have six and they all started having problems with the 10.50 Update.  Do you think they listened?  No more TCL TVs for me.  This level of service is unacceptable and I can no longer recommend them to family & friends.

ThorGod59
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

It's not TCL, it's Roku bad coding. 

Nemo288
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

As has been pointed out previously, this is not a TCL problem. It's a Roku problem.

TCL builds their TVs' hardware and IMHO they are quite nice but they don't write the software that runs the smart parts.

That's down to the Roku operating system firmware that is running on many different brands of equipment, all of which now has the off-air signal meter problem.

Notice TCL is now offering the Google OS. Maybe they, too, got tired of Roku's attitude or lack therof.

I had previously aimed/positioned my antenna with the old tuner and all the channels I expect to see are working fine so for me this is a minor annoyance but I can see where it would be a hastle for a new installation.

I also have a couple of laptops that have Hauppague USB tuners that can be used to aim antennae if the need arises. Their WinTV app will show signal strength for 2 different channels at the same time which is nice for optimizing channels coming from different directions.

Until Roku gets off their ass and fixes this, they are going to keep pissing off owners of many different TVs. They obviously don't seem to care about off-air reception. Maybe because most money is now generated by streaming.

WallyB47
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I now have Insignia, TCL and onn. Roku TVs. All sets show one bar regardless how strong the OTA signal may be.  It is not a manufacturer’s issue. It is a Roku issue that surfaced after the 10.5 update. Surely, some from Roku can read and follows this thread. It would be nice for Roku to acknowledge the issue and let those of us posting that it is working on a fix. However, that may be asking too much for it to fix a problem if their own making. 

FishTank
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

You're right, no more TVs sporting the Roku OS for me.  They were all the rage a few years ago. Unfortunately, the software development and customer support has nose-dived.  Zero communication and zero action from Roku. This is a Roku management issue. 

0 Kudos
FishTank
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

OTA users stream too and there are plenty of streaming competitors.  Roku's lack of customer support will come back to bite them where it hurts, their stock price.

0 Kudos
noob99999
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I'm telling you, folks, the best, fastest way to get this fixed is to bombard them with complaints.  I'd say do it this week, but everyone is probably off.  But, if you do complain, FORCE them to read through this thread.  Then, they might get a hint of our anger.

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

If you would have read through all of the replies, like me. You would know what Roku's position is on the issue. When Roku asked the community for help on the issue, I cooperated with Roku and gave Roku what it asked for in the past concerning this problem.

0 Kudos