Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: [OS 10.5] Roku TV signal strength on OTA

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If you haven't already, can you please provide us with the following information:

-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Update 10.5 and signal strength on over-the-air antenna

Jump to solution

@ThorGod59 @JD8675309

Thanks for the posts and providing us with your information.

I have passed it along to the appropriate Roku team to look into further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Re: Antenna Signal After OS 10.5 update

Jump to solution

I have a Westinghouse with an antenna that I just updated to the new software. Now, the signal bar says one bar for all of the channels that I receive. I went through all of my channels and all of my channels are still come in clear as a bell like always. I could careless about the old way and accurate signal strength meter.  

0 Kudos
Pedro123
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

"I have a Westinghouse with an antenna that I just updated to the new software. Now, the signal bar says one bar for all of the channels that I receive. I went through all of my channels and all of my channels are still come in clear as a bell like always. I could careless about the old way and accurate signal strength meter."

Well good for you. But many of us use an antenna with a rotor so we need to know the best direction for good signal. As well the signal direction changes depending on weather and other signal overlap. We also paid for this feature and now it's taken away.

Anyway, is this not a Roku/TCL discussion and not a Westinghouse discussion? 

OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I think that antennas are way too much work for myself now that I think about it, my brain hurts. Fortunately, for me the last 2 places that I have lived in must be optimal for an antenna usage,  By optimal I mean put antennae behind the TV and set back and watch without much interference to my antenna signal.  

0 Kudos
VTHokie96
Roku Guru

OTA Signal Level Indicator Inaccurate after SW 10.5.0 Build 4201-30

Jump to solution

After RokuTV 7120X SW upgraded to 10.5.0 Build 4201-30 on Nov 10th, the OTA broadcast signal level is no longer accurate as all channels show lowest level reception (single bar).

All channels (UHF - FOX, ABC & VHF - CBS, NBC,PBS..) prior to the upgrade  (and since purchase, install) indicated highest level (5 bars).

Accurate OTA signal level is important for antenna installation, positioning and troubleshooting reception issues.

A fix to the SW would be appreciated.

RokuTV 7120X SW 10.5.0 Build 4201-30 2.JPGUpdate Nov 10, 2021 - SW 10.5.0 Build 4201-30.JPGOTA reflects inaccurate signal level (1).JPGOTA reflects inaccurate signal level (2).JPGOTA reflects inaccurate signal level (3).JPG

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: OTA Signal Level Indicator Inaccurate after SW 10.5.0 Build 4201-30

Jump to solution

@VTHokie96-

I'm on the wrong side of a big hill so the over air reception on my TCL Roku TV is not all that good in the first place.  It wouldn't take much deterioration of reception performance to knock it out altogether.

Just received Roku 10.5 on my Roku TV yesterday.   I'm seeing the same thing regarding the signal strength indicator.  As far as I can tell, actual reception of my over air channels is not affected, so this just appears to be a cosmetic glitch.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
EdT
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Has nothing to do with TCL, this is a Roku firmware issue as TCL does not develop the firmware !

0 Kudos
EdT
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Accurate signal meter is a plus for OTA enthusiasts !  There are ways to get more accurate and detailed signal strength with your PC or tablet http://xxx.xxx.x.xxx:8060/query/tv-active-channel (Menu > Settings > Network > IP Address) by using the IP address that your Roku device is connected to within the same network IP !

NB: Just checked and now Signal-Strength and Signal-Quality now does not report and only shows n/a so there is definitely something wrong with the Roku firmware showing the Signal-Strength !

VTHokie96
Roku Guru

Re: OTA Signal Level Indicator Inaccurate after SW 10.5.0 Build 4201-30

Jump to solution

I wouldn't characterize this issue as a "cosmetic glitch". It is important that a todays TV's displays accurate signal strength.

Measuring OTA broadcast signal level using a signal strength meter is the only way get true understanding of signal strength. Anything else is just subjective. As most don't have one of these meters, including myself,  using the TV's signal indicator is the only option when it comes to directing antennas for the best possible reception. If the TV's signal indicator isn't accurate, there's no way to ensure this proper directional alignment, the impacts of which will be seen during no-so-optimal weather conditions.

This also becomes a more critical problem when one is faced with reception issues and has to resort to troubleshooting  the problem.  Antenna misalignment, loose connectors, connector corrosion buildup, cabling kink's (hot spots)...?

0 Kudos