cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CarlaRT
Level 8

No icon for cable TV with soundbar remote

Jump to solution

I installed a Roku soundbar on our Sharp TV. With the previous remote, (no pairing button) it was simple to switch from streaming to cable. Now, there is no icon for the cable. We have to use the "old" remote in order to return to regular live TV. I've been through every single option in the settings, and see no way to remedy this. Is there really no way to avoid using THREE different remotes now? (Cable, original Roku and the soundbar remote.)

0 Kudos
4 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: No icon for cable TV with soundbar remote

Jump to solution

What's this original Roku remote to? You have a Roku tv? Which can't be a samsung. In any case yes, you will need the tv remote to switch inputs, no Roku remote has a tv input key. And only Roku tv's have tiles for tv inputs on the home screen, because the devices are actually plugged into the roku tv, nothing plugs into the soundbar and so its home screen can't have tv inputs. 

You might get a universal remote that controls your cable box and the roku tv, like the One-For-All urc-7880, then you'll be down to two remotes, and if the roku tv has the all apps you need and you only use the soundbar for audio you wouldn't need the soundbar remote at all. If you have connected via hdmi-arc, the tv remote would control the audio of the soundbar. If you do not have an arc labelled input, use a regular hdmi and the optical cables instead. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

If you won't accept it as fact that you can not have tv inputs on the soundbar home screen, I don't know what to do to convince you? 

You have two roku sitting in front of you, a Sharp Roku tv and the Roku Smart Soundbar, each has identical looking remotes. To swich to the soundbar home screen press the home button on the soundbar remote, to switch back to the Sharp Roku tv home screen which has the input tiles like cable box, press the home button on the sharp remote. You should be able to tell which home screen you're on, no roku but the Soundbar has the purple color home screen. I'm sure the Sharp has very unique color home screen too. My Tcl roku tv home screen is red, where my Hisense Roku tv is green. And I keep my two roku soundbars set to their purple home screen. 

If you press the power button on the soundbar remote to turn on the tv it will also send you to the soundbar home screen. Only use the Sharp roku remote to turn on the tv. You can also go into the tv settings and set what device you wish to be on everytime you turn it on, it can be the Sharp home screen, or one of the Hdmi inputs like the one for cable tv:

settings> system> power> power on> check whatever device you wish to power onto. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
CarlaRT
Level 8

Jump to solution

PS: I very much appreciate your help. I wasn't clear in my question; I think I was just really frustrated by this problem. Usually these issues are easily resolved, and I've been dealing with this for three days now. I do realize there are two different home screens, but the one I need I can no longer access, so I hoped there was another solution. 

Thanks again for helping me!

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

If both of your Roku remotes are IR, and the roku soundbar is sitting in front of the tv, it is differently blocking the sharp roku remote from controlling the tv as mine does. But I use wifi remotes so it doesn't matter since the remote signal goes through walls. Try standing up and pointing the remote directly at thge tv and passed the soundbar and see if it works then? You might want to get wifi tv voice remote for your sharp roku tv. 

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-tv

Edmund

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6\
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

What's this original Roku remote to? You have a Roku tv? Which can't be a samsung. In any case yes, you will need the tv remote to switch inputs, no Roku remote has a tv input key. And only Roku tv's have tiles for tv inputs on the home screen, because the devices are actually plugged into the roku tv, nothing plugs into the soundbar and so its home screen can't have tv inputs. 

You might get a universal remote that controls your cable box and the roku tv, like the One-For-All urc-7880, then you'll be down to two remotes, and if the roku tv has the all apps you need and you only use the soundbar for audio you wouldn't need the soundbar remote at all. If you have connected via hdmi-arc, the tv remote would control the audio of the soundbar. If you do not have an arc labelled input, use a regular hdmi and the optical cables instead. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
CarlaRT
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for your response. The original remote which came with the Sharp Roku smart TV used to allow me to access the menu with the "cable box" tile on the home screen. For some reason, it no longer works; only the IR remote functions for navigating to streaming services. But on the home screen, with the IR remote, there IS not a tile to return to cable, and the original (non-IR) remote no longer functions to get me there.

The menu screens are different in layout and in options. It just doesn't make sense that I am unable to use the IR soundbar remote to switch back to cable. I've tried resetting everything, hard and soft reboots, nothing works. It's very frustrating. I should be able to navigate to a tile that says "cable box" using the soundbar IR remote the same way I did with the original (non-Core remote, and at one time I could, by simply pressing the "home" button on the original remote. Now I can't. I don't understand why the option to return to cable is totally missing from the IR soundbar remote. Makes no sense.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

If you won't accept it as fact that you can not have tv inputs on the soundbar home screen, I don't know what to do to convince you? 

You have two roku sitting in front of you, a Sharp Roku tv and the Roku Smart Soundbar, each has identical looking remotes. To swich to the soundbar home screen press the home button on the soundbar remote, to switch back to the Sharp Roku tv home screen which has the input tiles like cable box, press the home button on the sharp remote. You should be able to tell which home screen you're on, no roku but the Soundbar has the purple color home screen. I'm sure the Sharp has very unique color home screen too. My Tcl roku tv home screen is red, where my Hisense Roku tv is green. And I keep my two roku soundbars set to their purple home screen. 

If you press the power button on the soundbar remote to turn on the tv it will also send you to the soundbar home screen. Only use the Sharp roku remote to turn on the tv. You can also go into the tv settings and set what device you wish to be on everytime you turn it on, it can be the Sharp home screen, or one of the Hdmi inputs like the one for cable tv:

settings> system> power> power on> check whatever device you wish to power onto. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
CarlaRT
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for your response. You are right; always in the past, all that was required was to use the other remote to get back to the menu that showed the cable option. For some reason, that is no longer working; it worked fine with new batteries for one day, but now it won't switch from the soundbar home screen to the other. It's very frustrating. I'm not sure what else to do aside from what I've tried, which is rebooting everything, resetting the soundbar and the TV, unplugging the soundbar completely....The only way I could get the TV on was manually. Perhaps the remote itself is bad, but it was working fine one minute and the next, poof! No bueno.

0 Kudos
CarlaRT
Level 8

Jump to solution

PS: I very much appreciate your help. I wasn't clear in my question; I think I was just really frustrated by this problem. Usually these issues are easily resolved, and I've been dealing with this for three days now. I do realize there are two different home screens, but the one I need I can no longer access, so I hoped there was another solution. 

Thanks again for helping me!

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

If both of your Roku remotes are IR, and the roku soundbar is sitting in front of the tv, it is differently blocking the sharp roku remote from controlling the tv as mine does. But I use wifi remotes so it doesn't matter since the remote signal goes through walls. Try standing up and pointing the remote directly at thge tv and passed the soundbar and see if it works then? You might want to get wifi tv voice remote for your sharp roku tv. 

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-tv

Edmund

0 Kudos