Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BrianMcCa
Reel Rookie

No Signal since update

Can not watch any of my live antenna channels since last update. I have one network channel right now after scanning - ONE. And do you know what it says under its completely blank screen? It says NO SIGNAL. (I tried various, newly bought antennas as well. They all work on my other TV - an LG model. None of them work on my Roku TV).

Looking for a new LG tv now. My other tv is an LG and it has never had a problem.

I highly recommend LG televisions for anyone looking to purchase a new smart TV.

9 REPLIES 9
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: No Signal since update

@BrianMcCa

Thanks for the post.

We would recommend trying to check for a manual update on your Roku device to see if you are able to resolve the issue you are experiencing. For more information about how to check for an update, visit our Support page here: How do I update the software on my Roku® streaming device?

If you are unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku brand and model TV
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

@BrianMcCa , I'm sorry this happened to you. I suggest you try factory reset AND tell the initial setup you don't have internet ("I'll do it later," but don't). This seems to load an older version of software. My two regrettable Roku tvs now have favorites (again), continuous channel changing (again). Channels load/display faster. Captions on mute work again. Audio leveling is back. (I'll never connect these to the internet again. The next untested update could eliminate even this way to use them.).

If you need to stream, you can get an inexpensive stick to stream through HDMI. Having two remotes is a drag. But, it might be better than forking out money for a new tv. I bought the $22 firestick light. The Sofabaton F2 universal remote is supposed to work with that. I'm waiting for it to arrive. That would be a clever way to have a single remote.

Another alternative is a $30'ish external digital tv tuner (Mediasonic HW-150, iView 3500). That too would be an inexpensive way to get more life out of the tv. Then you could stream through the tv. (But, allowing the tv to remain connected to the internet puts it at risk of a future untested update breaking it.).

My next tv might be an Android. TCL's making them now. It will be interesting to see if those TVs have as much trouble as these (i.e., is it really the tv makers causing the problem the way Roku says?).

But, honestly, I'm liking this dumb-tv experience. Plug-n-play devices. Easy to upgrade one device. All my eggs aren't in one basket (subject to a drunken update party). Even if I buy a smart tv again, I may not connect it to the internet. My trust is zero now.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
BrianMcCa
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the response Danny. Tried the first part of your suggestion, didn’t work. In regards to the very detailed and laborious second regimen you recommend, it’s just too much effort to save a television that I don’t have any faith in recovering. I appreciate your efforts but I’m just going to give the Roku TV to my kid (he can at least use it for gaming and to stream apps). I’ll get myself another LG smart TV, they work very well. Thanks again though.

BrianMcCa
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the advice Visitor45763. I have an LG smart TV that’s a little older than my Roku and it has been updating and streaming live channels just fine. I think I’ll just get myself another LG and give the Roku to my kid for gaming and streaming apps. Appreciate the helpful advice though! Just a bit much for me to take on right now. Good to know for future reference.

Harvini
Roku Guru

NOTICE to Danny R. From Roku -

Please read the previous 2 answers carefully and understand them.  The instructions to users to jump through hoops to fix malfunctions induced by the software update process is not acceptable, and is resulting in the immediate loss of market share.

Either your management is made to understand that this forum is a cross-section of an unhappy customer base and fix things, or else your outfit will go into a rapid death spiral.

You are the "Boots on the Ground" that must convey this message and get the problem fixed.  The future of ROKU is in your hands, personally.  Use that responsibility well.

Scotts1008

My 42" Onn TV was purchased in November, 2020. Since the last update, we have not had any live antenna TV shows. Channels are there, but just a blank screen on every channel. Everything else that streams  is working just fine, just nothing through our cable antenna for local Tv.

I have checked for "Manual Updates" as this and other threads have said to do, but none are available. TV is showing up to date and no updates available. 

Any updates on what is causing this problem to happen to a like new television? 

Roku TV: D803X

Onn Model: 10001825.4

Serial #: X00700DH5EFY

Software Version: 9.4.0 Build 4206-C4

Thanks for the help before I try to return this item through the vendor, or Onn.

Harvini
Roku Guru

Frankly, I would return it as soon as possible.  Think of it this way.  You purchased a TV which does not operate as a TV.  So, the product is defective.  It is not your concern as to which vendor of which component is at fault, the point is that the product YOU purchased is not providing the functionality that you paid for.

I also have no faith that the ROKU people will provide any useful information that will get you back into operation.  As a show of good faith, I pledge to donate $50 to charity if the Roku staff provide a solution which actually fixes your problem permanently.

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

@Scotts1008 wrote: Thanks for the help before I try to return this item through the vendor, or Onn.

If your return window is still open (doubt it), you should do that. Otherwise, open a warranty claim with Onn. They may tell you it's a Roku problem (which it undoubtedly is). But, until your warranty is expired, it's a Onn problem. They can't evade their warranty obligation by blaming their partner. If they weren't comfortable warranting tvs with licensed Roku software, they shouldn't have licensed it. (It was Onn who printed the boxes with Roku's logos and all the pictures of it working a certain way. Not Roku.). If they really try to evade their warranty to you, file a complaint with the FTC and your state AG. (That's serious business. It's not subjective.).

@Harvini wrote: I pledge to donate $50 to charity if the Roku staff provide a solution which actually fixes your problem permanently.

Pure genius. The 23rd daily Roku Customer Benefit Telethon.

I'll match that $50!

(We could also have a lottery: "guess the amount it would take for Roku to actually address these problems." But, I don't think we'd ever find that number.).

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
Scotts1008

30 day return policy, so will need to go through Onn