Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

No 5.1 audio when watching Netflix on TCL Roku TV

Jump to solution

Problem:

When trying to play Netflix titles that I know have 5.1 audio, the 5.1 "badge" does not appear for that title and it plays in stereo only. I am getting 5.1 audio when using the Disney + app as well as the Google Play Movies app. 

Gear: 

TCL 55S525 Roku TV --> HDMI ARC connection to --> Vizio SB3651-E6 Soundbar

Troubleshooting Steps Tried:

1. Factory reset TV and soundbar
  2. Optical connection to soundbar instead of HDMI ARC
  3. Uninstall/reinstall Netflix channel

Is anyone else having this issue? It was working just fine a couple of days ago.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: No 5.1 audio when watching Netflix on TCL Roku TV

Jump to solution

After some close reading it seems that the Vizio SB3651-E6 Soundbar only supports Dolby Digital Plus on the HDMI in port (see below, and also page 20 here.) I know that Netflix delivers 5.1 audio over Dolby Digital Plus exclusively. Since my Roku TV is plugged into the HDMI ARC port, this is likely why I wasn't getting 5.1 when watching Netflix. My best guess is that other apps (Disney+, Google Play Movies) are converting the Dolby Digital Plus audio down to vanilla Dolby Digital before sending it to the soundbar. Seems to me like something Netflix would have to build into it's app.

Screenshot 2020-01-23 at 3.20.39 PM.png

My "fix": Return the soundbar to Best Buy and shell out a bit more for Vizio's Atmos Soundbar. Now I'm getting surround sound from Netflix, have the option of 4K passthrough, and can enjoy Atmos content as well.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Level 7

Jump to solution

Yep. Same issue with a Vizio soundbar. Seems to be an issue with Netflix. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

After some close reading it seems that the Vizio SB3651-E6 Soundbar only supports Dolby Digital Plus on the HDMI in port (see below, and also page 20 here.) I know that Netflix delivers 5.1 audio over Dolby Digital Plus exclusively. Since my Roku TV is plugged into the HDMI ARC port, this is likely why I wasn't getting 5.1 when watching Netflix. My best guess is that other apps (Disney+, Google Play Movies) are converting the Dolby Digital Plus audio down to vanilla Dolby Digital before sending it to the soundbar. Seems to me like something Netflix would have to build into it's app.

Screenshot 2020-01-23 at 3.20.39 PM.png

My "fix": Return the soundbar to Best Buy and shell out a bit more for Vizio's Atmos Soundbar. Now I'm getting surround sound from Netflix, have the option of 4K passthrough, and can enjoy Atmos content as well.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same issue. 

Altho I also have a Amazon 4k fire stick when I run AFS thru HDMI 1 port on the tcl tv and use the Netflix app thru the AFS it gives me surround sound. Unfortunately the picture colors aren't as vivid thru the AFS as they are thru the Roku Netflix app. Weird. I guess I use both until a fix is in

0 Kudos