Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OliverUrface
Reel Rookie

New voice remote w/ factory reset TCL TV not working

Jump to solution

I bought a voice remote for a TCL whose original remote is lost. It worked just fine until I decided to factory reset the TCL. Now the TCL is stuck on the language choice window as the new remote refuses to work except for the power button, which is almost more frustrating. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OliverUrface
Reel Rookie

Re: New voice remote w/ factory reset TCL TV not working

Jump to solution

Well, RenoJim, you are wrong and not helping. Got the remote at Target. Brand new. No pairing button. Turns out if you hold the home and back button for 5 seconds it activates pairing mode. Thanks to customer service for the win. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Tim_Hare
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

None of the up/down left/right or "OK" buttons work? 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

If you factory reset the TV then you have to pair the remote again.  Press and hold the pairing button on the back or inside the battery button until the light starts flashing and then plug in the power to the TV.  It should pair once it restarts.

The TV control button (Power, Volume, Mute) are completely separate from the other controls and once the remote is configured to control those buttons it will be remembered in the remote and a factory reset of the TV won't have any effect.  The pairing for the Roku controls will be lost on a factory reset.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
OliverUrface
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

There is no pairing button underneath the battery with this model. Very frustrating. 

0 Kudos
OliverUrface
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The only button that works is the power button. 

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

Where did you get the remote?  I'm pretty sure the recent Roku Voice Remotes have a pairing button, but there was at least one model that didn't.  Either way, the remote must be paired before it will do anything other than turn the TV off/on and control the volume since that was configured before the factory reset.

How to set up your Roku® voice remote | Official Roku Support

0 Kudos
OliverUrface
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Well, RenoJim, you are wrong and not helping. Got the remote at Target. Brand new. No pairing button. Turns out if you hold the home and back button for 5 seconds it activates pairing mode. Thanks to customer service for the win. 

renojim

Jump to solution

@OliverUrface, wow.  You obviously didn't follow the link I supplied where you would have found the information you were looking for.  I did say "I'm pretty sure", not "I'm positive" not to mention I'm sure Target never sells old devices.  🙄  Don't worry, I'll never attempt to help you again.

0 Kudos
Deenavv

Jump to solution

Thank you Oliver for being the ONLY person to help with this problem. Bought a tv off someone and had to factory reset it, my remote was working at first but after the factory reset wouldn’t work . everything was telling me to unplug it, take out batters, pressing pairing button etc. long behold I had to press the back & home button .