Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor45763
Level 14

New update (Dec. 18) doesn't cycle through Live TV channels with remote held down?

I noticed yesterday (Dec. 21) that holding down the remote's channel up/down button is ignored by the tv (Roku 7126X, TCL 43S405). The white light at the bottom of the tv flutters (the tv is seeing the continuous remote signal). But, the channel doesn't change unless I release the button & press it again. (Then it changes one channel. I have to release the button, press it again, one channel at a time.).

It appears there was an update to the tv's software (9.4.0 Build 4200-30) on Dec. 18. I'm assuming that's what did it. (I tried Settings>System>Power>System restart. But, that didn't fix it.).

I'm curious if anyone else is noticing this behavior? (How does a person report bugs, or see reported bugs?).

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
5 Replies
Ticked
Level 8

Re: New update (Dec. 18) doesn't cycle through Live TV channels with remote held down?

Same here. I guess slowing it way down wasn't enough, so they just got rid of it.  They made the channel display larger too, and I thought it was too big to start with.

Meanwhile, they can't be bothered to fix the FF RR buttons in the guide that are supposed to go forward 24 hours, not go two channels up or down.  Hasn't worked for over a year.

The guide can't keep up with the scrolling speed anymore either. You used to get to see the programs scrolling by, now it switches to a black screen while scrolling times.

I'm hoping the pause live TV hasn't been messed up again, they just got that working again for me.

Just noticed sound leveling is gone as well, too bad. That was a nice feature.

Visitor45763
Level 14

Re: New update (Dec. 18) doesn't cycle through Live TV channels with remote held down?

@Ticked wrote:

Same here.

Thanks for confirming I'm not the only one seeing the continuous channel scanning (hold the remote button down) not working.

Just noticed sound leveling is gone as well, too bad. That was a nice feature.

Among my various concerns (astonishments) at how Roku conducts business is that there's no release notes to browse. There's no way of knowing whether the disappearance of continuous channel travel (or sound leveling) is intentional or a bug. It's like the company doesn't care about the customer experience *at all*. There's another thread here about "Favorites" disappearing. As buggy as Roku's updates are, everyone assumed it was a bug to be reported. It turned out Favorites were moved to a different area. Nobody would know that. It would be courteous to communicate something to customers (and release notes would be the logical/easy way to do it). But, the customer experience isn't a priority.

You mentioned an update breaking mute. I noticed that too. I used to have mute set to show captions. Suddenly (a month or two ago) unmutting left the captions on. I had to change my mute setting to no captions. 

I'd like to know from an employee how that kind of thing happens. And, when it's obvious that it happens like status quo, how does an update get released 5 days before Christmas when there would be fewer staff (for the next two weeks) to address the *expected* fallout? Does nobody care? That's a serious question for Roku staff. My perception is that the leadership is arrogant, doesn't use its own products, and doesn't care. Regression testing is an offensive term?

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
TCL1
Level 8

That last update really screwed up channel navigation on my TCL 55UP605.

I get my TV via antenna, and I loved how fast I could navigate from one channel to another by holding the up or down button...until the last update.

Now I must press the remote once for each channel change, and even that doesn't work much of the time.  The TV gets stuck on a channel and won't change, especially if I try to go too fast.  I get audible feedback when I press the button and the light blinks, but the channel doesn't change.  If I press the button multiple times, it sits there and thinks.  Then it may suddenly change through multiple channels, or it may do nothing.  I'm getting in the habit of using the guide, which gets me there faster.

I also have the closed captioning problem.  It sets itself to "On always" by itself.

I even bought a new remote, thinking that was the problem, but the behavior of the TV is still screwed up.  I wish they would test the updates better, or give me a choice to roll it back to the previous version until they fix the bugs.

Visitor45763
Level 14

I wish they would test the updates better, or give me a choice to roll it back to the previous version until they fix the bugs.

I agree wit both points. The ability to select a previous update, and blacklist an update (take the next one, see how it works. Blacklist it if necessary, and so on) would be nice.

I wish changes were documented, so we could know what's happening. @Ticked suggested the continuous channel cycling was removed intentionally (because it was already a bit slow). I don't know if he was being sarcastic, or if it's actually possible Roku said "screw it, we won't do that anymore." That seems like a serious problem that we don't even know what is or isn't a bug (versus intended change to a feature). There's another thread where Favorites disappeared. It turned out they were moved. How would anyone know that? It's like Roku has zero empathy for its customers. They don't once put themselves in the customer's shoes. 

I strongly suggest people get on Amazon and start reviewing every Roku TV in existence. Publicize how unstable Roku is (and shameless about it, which is worse. I could work with someone who has problems and wants to be best in class. But, Roku doesn't even care.). I also think complaints to the Federal Trade Commission would be in order, as well as to state attorneys general. This stuff is as unstable as Linux. But, it's not volunteer-developed. It's paid for. TCL points its finger at Roku. Roku points its finger at TCL. It looks scammy that way.

Visitor45763
Level 14

@TCL1 wrote:

I'm getting in the habit of using the guide, which gets me there faster.

That didn't sink in when I first read it. I just discovered using the guide myself, and realized what you meant. 

For others who have the same problem (continuous channel-up/down ignored), press the left arrow to go to the guide. Then hold the channel-up/down buttons to scroll through the channels; click on a channel to land there. That works pretty well to get where you're going. It's not the same as channel surfing (seeing the show flash by). More like scrolling through the information. But, better than repetitive-motion injury. Smiley Happy

I wonder if there's any remotes with number keypads that will work with a TCL/Roku tv. I've always missed having that. With my old DTV converter, I used to always key in numbers to go where I wanted to go. It becomes reflexive. I rarely cycled up/down continuously (the way I can't now with the update). Even more rarely would I change one channel at a time (which I have to now, with the update). A keypad remote would probably make me happier than having the somewhat slow continuous channel change back.

Anyway, the guide scrolling is definitely a help!