Discussions

Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

New onn Soundbar and audio delay options?

Right now I have this setup:

Roku Premiere+ / Cable Box ---> Yamaha Audio Receiver ---> 2013 Samsung TV

I'm thinking of breaking these components up and using the 2013 Samsung TV with the new onn Soundbar:

onn Soundbar <---> 2013 Samsung TV <--- Cable Box

But right now I need to add a ~80ms audio delay through the Yamaha.  If I go with the onn Soundbar instead of the Roku P+ and Yamaha, what are my options for audio sync?  Can the onn Soundbar set an audio delay?  And what about if the ARC is used the other way with the signal coming from the Cable Box, into the TV and then audio out to the onn Soundbar?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: New onn Soundbar and audio delay options?

Thanks for the question! 

The onn. Roku Smart Soundbar does not offer an audio delay setting. 

To play audio from a cable box, you would connect the cable box to the TV, then connect your TV via HDMI ARC to the soundbar. 

Feel free to add any other suggestions in our Suggest a Feature board to pass along to our team. 

Thanks!

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Thanks.  Looking at the 2013 Samsung on screen menu it does seem to have an option for a "Digital Audio Output Delay Time".  So maybe that fixes it - IDK - I've never had a soundbar before.

Is there a recommended output format from the TV into the onn Roku?  My 2013 Samsung seems to have the options of PCM and DTS Neo (with DD and DTS greyed out).  Is there a link to a detailed manual on the onn Soundbar I should reference instead of posting here?

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

I'm not aware of a specific link to share, but you might try checking with onn. (Walmart) support to see if they have any other owner's manual or specifications resources available for the onn. Roku Smart Soundbar. 

If you want to see more about the standard Roku Smart Soundbar, you can check that out here: https://www.roku.com/products/audio/roku-smart-soundbar

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

The more I think about it, I'm still not really sure this is the best solution for me if the Roku Soundbar software doesn't have an audio delay option.

Think about the way the signals travel if we use the cable box example.  The cable box HDMI goes into the TV, the TV adds lag on the picture, the TV also subsequently adds a user controlled delay to the audio digital out, which then goes into the Roku soundbar that plays it right away.  So things work fine for signals pumped into the TV and out to the Roku Soundbar.

Where this flow fails is with streaming content sourced from the Roku firmware on the Soundbar.  In this case the video signal still inputs into the TV (from the Roku Soundbar) just like the cable box example - no difference there.  But not so for the audio.  The audio I presume is just processed right there on the Roku Soundbar without delay.  (The audio signal shouldn't travel to the TV and then back to the Soundbar like a boomerang.) So if the TV video processing introduces a lag, then the audio becomes out of sync with no way to correct it.

Am I wrong on how it works?  Or are the Roku Soundbars a risk for audio lip sync issues on content streamed from the Soundbar itself?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@CanMan141 

I wouldn't expect that you would see an issue with streaming video playback from the Soundbar itself, in regards to audio sync, given the scenario you described. I suppose it's always possible, but in general, we haven't come across this issue reported from other customers.

If you're interested in trying it out, you can always give the Roku Smart Soundbar a shot and test drive it at home to see if it works for your setup/usage. If not, our support team is standing by and can assist with a return. You can also confer with Walmart regrading their return policy for the onn. Roku Smart Soundbar version. 

Let us know if you have any other questions! 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

I would think that a delay is highly likely actually.  Many TVs do have a video processing lag.  That's either handled automatically for the on-board speakers or through a delay setting that the TV controls when outputting to an external device.  Or through the AVR when the video and audio both pass through that first.

This scenario of the video signal coming from the soundbar yet no ability to account for the video processing delay is pretty unique.  And would result in a high probability of a lip sync problem unless the soundbar adds an audio delay option.

End result is that I'm probably better off with an alternative product.

0 Kudos