Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
balramdau94
Level 7

New TCL 6 Series Roku TV Won't Turn On

Hello all, Hoping for some help as I was super excited a few minutes ago, and I'm now beyond frustrated... I saved up and bought a super expensive 75" TCL 6 Series. I plugged in, plugged my ethernet cable, 2x HDMIs, and powered it on. It went through some steps, detected Internet, and then downloaded a software update. Then it restarted and was black with a faint dark gray TCL ROKU TV logo in the center (barely visible). It stayed like that for a while .. and then I tried turning it off. Nothing happened. Eventually I unplugged it and plugged it back in. No luck. It just went back to that screen. Then i let it sit for 2hrs, thinking that it may be loading or something.. and then the faint logo went away and we were staring at a black screen. This whole time, there is a blinking light under the TCL logo at the bottom of the TV. It keeps blinking. I tried power cycling. No luck. Tried restarting. No luck. Tried resetting. No luck. Tried unplugging and draining power. No luck. Tried some super random ideas of taking batteries out of the remote and hitting numbers - nothing. I'm beyond frustrated as I was SO ready to watch Wonder Woman with my whole family on our new TV.. Any help would be much appreciated all! Thank you in advance!

Labels (1)
2 Replies
Visitor45763
Level 14

Re: New TCL 6 Series Roku TV Won't Turn On

Since it's new, never worked, I would return/exchange it. You shouldn't have to be hunting down solutions to a new tv. If I were going to try to get it to work, I'd probably start with TCL, and rule out hardware issues.

There are threads here about tv won't turn on, dim screen, black screen. Maybe what you're experiencing is one of those. But, that gets back to cut your losses. Roku's updates are not well tested, so to speak. If you browse through this forum you might see what the future has in store for you (if you're not already experiencing it out of the box). The standalone (external) Roku boxes connected to a Samsung (or something) might be less problematic. The tvs that come with Roku seem like a bad idea. Maybe it's the plethora of hardware Roku has to operate upon & support which is the problem. It's one of those things that feels like Linux. If you enjoy fiddling and being on the bleeding edge, then it's great. But, if you just want a tv that's not a lot of drama, I think the standalone Roku connected to a non-Roku tv would be better.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: New TCL 6 Series Roku TV Won't Turn On

@balramdau94 

Thanks for the post.

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku TV.

I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you can finish updating your Roku TV and setting it up. Then once your Roku TV has been setup, try switching back to your home wireless network.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks.
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos