Discussions

Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: New Roku Streambar - wired ethernet port?

Jump to solution

@Alpdx 

Basically, you are looking for a USB 2.0  10/100 Ethernet adapter with a AX8877X or SMSC95XX chipset support capability.

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Ethernet-Adapter-Nintendo-Chromebook/dp/B00MYT481C 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00484IEJS/

The link here are the ones recommended by Roku for their devices. (All 2.0 10/100).  https://support.roku.com/article/360058027813?_escaped_fragment_=

Although, generally USB 3.0 10/100/1000 Ethernet Adapters are backwards compatible for most devices, it is not the case with the chipset drivers of the Roku.  Just look for one that has the specs USB 2.0 10/100 and you should be fine.   

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

robzr
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Can anyone verify whether the Apple USB 2.0 100-mbps ethernet adapter (MC704LL/A) works?  It uses the same ASIX AX88772 chip that many other Roku compatible adapters use, but Apple uses different USB Product & Vendor IDs.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@robzr 

Can't specifically verify for you, but according to the Roku support specs, USB 2.0 asix AX8877X should include the AX88772.  The X on the end of the string should be any variable.  I did not see any exceptions or exclusions, so I would infer you should be good to go.

robzr
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Confirmed, the Apple USB 2.0 ethernet adapter does work on my Roku Streambar.

sirgroiney
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

nevermind. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@robzr 

Thanks for posting back with an update that the Apple adapter works.  Always appreciated!

Nataar

Jump to solution

After reading your article, I purchased two different USB to RJ45 adapters.  Neither works with my Streambar.  It is not in the software, and it didn't "automatically" come up.  Mine is a 9102R.  The problem is how to determine which model number is being sold.  It seems to be a secret.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Nataar 

What were the model numbers and manufacturers of the adapters you purchased?  As indicated by @robzr, even those not on Roku's list will likely work as long as the description says ASIX AX88772 chipset and is USB 2.0.  

If yours says USB 3.0 or has another chipset other than ASIX AX8877x (where X is a numerical variable) chipset, or SMSC95XX (again, both X are numberical variables) chipset, will likely not work with a Roku device.

Feel free to provide a link or at least the description of the adapters you purchased.

The list of Roku devices and the recommended adapters are at this Roku Support article link.

https://support.roku.com/article/360058027813?_escaped_fragment_=

erwinsusara
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

By adding one of these Fast Ethernet adapters to my Roku, which is connected to my main network, I essentially converted my whole Ethernet gigabit network to a Fast Ethernet network, which is 10%, at best, of what the rest of my devices are capable of handling. IMHO, this is ridiculous. I need to include another router (with a gigabit WAN port) in the mix and put the Roku Streambar on that sub-network. Most users will not know or bother to do this. Incredible that this is relying on technology that is over 10 years old. Just use USB 3.0 ports and configure with gigabit USB-Ethernet networking devices. 

0 Kudos
robzr
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

That makes no sense, adding a 100 or even 10 mb ethernet connection to a gigabit switch will not slow your whole network down.

0 Kudos