Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NCoffin1

Re: Never ending Recovery Mode Screen

Jump to solution

I want to tell you that this what i did and it work

1. hit the rest button on back of tv continue till you see the light in front turn White steady and than hit same time the button behind the light its their run your finger undre light your find it . hold the button till the tv comes on it passes update weird but works.

2. hit reset till steady white light than hold white button till it comes on  Good luck

Yvonnealford
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Nothing we tried worked. I ended up buying a New Television but I can guarantee it was not another Roku . I will Never purchase another Roku I have learned a very expensive lesson. 

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Yvonnealford wrote:

Nothing we tried worked. I ended up buying a New Television but I can guarantee it was not another Roku . I will Never purchase another Roku I have learned a very expensive lesson. 

It's important to share your experience in product reviews (Amazon, Walmart, et. al.). You're preaching to the choir here. 🙂

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
Sid2
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Never ending recovery mode loop.... wtf... this is ridiculous. Wtf is wrong with my tv. I can't get out of this recovery mode. Give me "RIGHT" answer. Not try this. If that dont work try this, try this, try this.... tbh I bought a roku cause it was cheap. Now I see why. TI need answers thatll work. Not that u think might work. 

0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Sid2 

I agree with how you feel. People here are just trying to help (while Roku is famously "passing things along"). If you're expecting official solutions, the answer you need to hear is: buy a new tv -- accept reality. Roku isn't going to tell you what to do. They might not even be trying to fix this. And, even if they do fix it in 2-3 months, a future update could break your tv again. They don't test updates. If you don't like your tv having so much drama, cut your losses now. (And/or, file complaints with the federal trade commission, your state AG, etc. Start reviewing RokuTVs on retail sites. I think that's where the real lack of info is.).

If you want to try something, I would do the hardware reset described in another post in this thread. He seems confident that that fixes it. 

Don't yell at me. It's not my fault.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
Sid2
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Been doing that. Light never came on steadily. Only flashes. Did it for 30 min just sitting there. I feel like I'm getting trolled. Cause I have done everything and nothing works. Sucks that I gotta buy another tv later. And I havent have this tv for a year yet... Never buying a Roku ever again. I see why it's cheap. Cause of all the issues that will go unresolved. I read everything in here. Tried every method. But I'm still stuck in recovery mode. 

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Sid2 wrote:

Been doing that. Light never came on steadily. Only flashes. Did it for 30 min just sitting there. I feel like I'm getting trolled. Cause I have done everything and nothing works. Sucks that I gotta buy another tv later. And I havent have this tv for a year yet... Never buying a Roku ever again. I see why it's cheap. Cause of all the issues that will go unresolved. I read everything in here. Tried every method. But I'm still stuck in recovery mode. 

A lot of people feel the same way. I feel fortunate that mine is only moderately unusable after the last untested update. I'm hoping to get as much out of it as I can. But, I've already accepted it will happen to me one of these days. I'm prepared for that, and will replace it with a non-Roku.

I think the problem is that Roku didn't get into tvs to provide a great tv experience. I think it was just to create a new platform to sell the streaming boxes they already had and were known for. ("Why buy a tv & a box when you can get both in one!"). Nobody thought about the challenge of supporting/testing software on a plethora of brands & models (the array of different hardware). They had their walled-garden external boxes where they controlled the hardware design and component choices. I get the impression Roku hasn't accepted they underestimated that challenge. They're still treating tvs like "it should work like our walled-garden boxes." It wouldn't be too bad if they hit a wall like that and changed course. But, there's no indication they sense any wall, let alone a need to change course.

A lot of people are negatively affected by Roku's treatment of antenna tv. I think that fits into my theory above too. If Roku married into tvs as a way to expand the presence/platform for their external streaming boxes/service, then antenna tuning/viewing is something that was never their thing. The red-headed stepchild who came along with the deal. It never gets the love. It's not in Roku's vocabulary. They don't think there's anything wrong with it -- because they don't think about it at all. Their mind is on their core business: what the external box does: streaming. Tv was just a vehicle to put Roku streaming in more hands. The actual tv was inconsequential (beyond being just connected monitor to the embedded "box" experience.).

I've seen some speculation that Roku (or the tv makers) could be engaging in "planned obsolescence." Updates could be increasingly less sensitive to older tvs (like you said yours just turned 1yr old). Could be a "who cares. TV makers want you to buy a new tv sooner. We want to stop being burdened by older hardware sooner." It sounds far-fetched. But, Apple was found to be doing that with its phones.

I don't want to discourage you. Maybe Roku will release an update that fixes your loop problem. But, if you look back at older threads, it doesn't seem like that's something to expect. It's pretty much a one-way street. Same problems, multiple threads.

I think your choices are 1) try the hardware reset in different ways (like hold the button down while the tv is on, uplug, continue holding as you re-plug, and hold it until the light flashes. Or, hold down while the tv is on until the light flashes.

Try doing it at a different location, with a different internet connection. (Can you hardware an RJ-45 from the tv to the router?). 

2) Sell it for parts on eBay.

3) Buy a new tv, and hang onto your broken tv to see if it ever works (if Roku ever fixes it).

Then there's the other options I mentioned about getting the word out so others know. Also, maybe raising the topic to regulators. 

If I bought a new tv, I might buy an external Roku box. I think their streaming is good. I'd look at what's available and decide. I wouldn't let the tv experience rule out their external product. But, if there were something else as good, this experience might tilt me that direction.

0 Kudos
Sid2
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yea I think I'm just gonna hold on to it and see if they fix it later. And het me a new tv non-roku. I heard Samsung is pretty nice. Thanks again 

rileybutton
Reel Rookie

Re: Never ending Recovery Mode Screen I GOT IT FIXED

Jump to solution

I got it fixed. TCL had to come out and replace something on the inside. The tech said it’s a very common problem but a pain in the **bleep**. if your tv is under a year old they will fix this problem for free

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Re: Never ending Recovery Mode Screen I GOT IT FIXED

Jump to solution

@rileybutton wrote:

I got it fixed. TCL had to come out and replace something on the inside. The tech said it’s a very common problem but a pain in the **bleep**. if your tv is under a year old they will fix this problem for free

If you could find out what the part is, that could be helpful to people whose tv is out of warranty. I've seen posts saying these tvs have just a few components that can be bought on ebay, et. al. 

0 Kudos