Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Terrie5624

Re: Never ending Recovery Mode Screen

Jump to solution

This is obviously a big problem for a lot of people, what is the solution?

Jade_Ceeza
Channel Surfer

Recovery loop TCL 50" Roku

Jump to solution

I've been trying to fix this thing for more than 24 hours. I've searched many boards with many solutions offered and I am left assuming I'm doing something wrong.
TCL Model: 50S421
Roku TV: C124X
Version: 939.00R02201A
(If you need more info, let me know)

I turned on Netflix to listen to it while going to sleep. The app played for about 5 minutes(I assume enough time to start an update?) and then it turned its self off. It took about 3 minutes to try and turn back on and eventually came up with a purple screen with the top of it reading "Recovery Mode". I've gone through these prompts at LEAST 20 times at this point. English>Wifi connection>Enter info>Update now>Restarting.
I began searching for more information on this problem and have tried holding the reset button for factory reset at least 5 times. I've unplugged and plugged it back in. I've tried rebooting my modem, despite every other item connected to the modem working fine BUT the TV. None of what I've found has helped. It has restarted once, acted like it was going to work, then when trying to actually load something up it just went back into the recovery mode loop. (I've also tried disconnecting all game systems and rebooting and factory resetting and it seems to not be working still )
I'll try literally any ideas anyone has.

Tags (2)
Jade_Ceeza
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I've tried all the solutions listed here to see no good results.

Jade_Ceeza
Channel Surfer

Re: Recovery loop TCL 50" Roku

Jump to solution

I restarted the modem again, rebooted the TV again, it didn't work. So, once more, I tried holding the reset button for more than 60 seconds(Because nothing less had worked before). The TV finally went into factory reset and actually got past the internet connection part. We reactivated the device, it updated, began playing Netflix for about an hour, and I surmised it finished updating all over again because it went back into the recovery loop. I'm going to try factory resetting it again and just not connect it to the internet. I'll likely contact customer service if I can find a way to do so. (I've seen many posts about customer service being down because of Covid?) This is truly unacceptable and unfortunate. Before this incident, I would have recommended Roku to all of my family and friends. Now, I'm feeling guilty because my disabled mother could encounter this same issue and be left with no television.

0 Kudos
Jade_Ceeza
Channel Surfer

Re: Recovery loop TCL 50" Roku

Jump to solution

Just spent the last hour doing all of this over and over again. 
I also left it unplugged for over an hour last night and more than 3 hours yesterday, so I'm trying that now.

I've unplugged it, plugged it back in. 
Held reset button 10, 20, 40, 60, and 65 seconds in an attempt to factory reset it. (Sometimes while pulling the plug because I saw mention of that here in the forums.)
I've unplugged and even factory reset my modem to make sure that was also not the issue. 
I've used a mobile hotspot in an attempt to update from the recovery mode screen. I've also tried to update via 2g AND 5g. (many, MANY times)
I've tried restarting the TV with no internet connection(Modem unplugged) to see if I can make it just factory reset without connecting to the internet(I've yet to see the factory reset screen)
I've unlinked the TV from my Roku account, attempted to update through recovery mode, and even tried factory resetting.
Attempted to call customer service, to which I heard the covid message. (That's just even more infuriating since no one is helping me here even.) Going to ALSO send an Email.
I've disconnected my living room television from the internet to keep it from incurring the same issue through updating because obviously, this is affecting a lot of televisions/devices.

It's disappointing and slightly irritating that you're directed to the forums as a way of solving your issues only to be met with no answers or replies to help rectify the problem. I've seen some of the topics on here where people don't even get replies for 24+ hours and it seems it's in hope of said people reaching out to customer service and finding a solution to their issue, but there's no way to reach out to customer service when they're not receiving calls and their emails don't let you contact for support. Only billing.(Which I'm going to attempt to do, I guess.)

Never Ending Recovery Mode

Jump to solution

Was playing ps4 and tv shut off and went into recovery mode.

I select English and connect to network and install update and it turns off and back on. Shows the red roku intro screen and turns off back into recovery mode. Over and over and over. Can anyone help? Tried to call roku but due to covid they don't have phone support.  Do they have live chat or email support? Tv is less than a year old

Jade_Ceeza
Channel Surfer

Re: Never Ending Recovery Mode

Jump to solution

I am in the exact same boat. I've scoured these forums and did exactly the things suggested to most of the people I've seen posting and it's not worked. I've called to get the same message. Your only other option would be the "Contact us" page and putting in a ticket through billing in hopes that someone replies(They don't have an actual support option on that part for whatever reason). 
You COULD get lucky and have a roku team member reply here but it seems to take 24+ hours for a team member to even reply.
Peers don't seem to frequent and offer much help either. Roku's going to be losing customers, in my opinion.

UNIQUE1CLIFF
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

HOW DO YOU FIX THIS THIS IS RIDICULOUS CAN IT EVEN BE FIXED WHEN YOU DONT EVEN HAVE A REMOTE TRIED EVERYTHING THAT WAS POSTED AND NO SOLUTION THIS IS WHY I NORMALLY STICK WITH LCD TVS.. IF I FIGURE OUT HOW TO FIX IT I WILL UPLOAD TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL CLIFF WILKES 

Jilly1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I unplugged my TV for about 10 hours while I went to work... I came back home, plugged it back in, but I didn’t power the tv on just yet, I waited a few more hours.. powered it back on & surprisingly it worked... now I’m not sure if that’s what made it work or if the TV was just ready to pop back on lol. But try it.. & I’m sure you don’t have to leave the tv unplugged for 10 hours , but I did because I was at work anyway. Let me know if it works for you. I’m curious. 

Jade_Ceeza
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I called TCL because everything I've been trying isn't working. I've come to the conclusion though that if I do happen to get it to work that I won't be connecting it to the internet for a long while.

0 Kudos