Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Recovery loop TCL 50" Roku

Jump to solution

@Jade_Ceeza 

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried contacting TCL support yet to inquire further? I'd suggest starting there to see what options or suggestions they can provide. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support for their products running the Roku OS. 

You can reach them here: https://support.tclusa.com/televisions or at 1-877-300-8837.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Lowrobb
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I read this thread in its entirety, and I call TCL support today. They confirmed it is a hardware issue and will send a technician to fix it since the tv is still under warranty.

They also say that it will take 7-10 days to fix the problem.

This will definitely be my first and last TCL product purchase in my lifetime.

Lemons2lemonad
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

After reading this and dealing with this issue far too long, I am definitely never buying another TCL ever again. My husband went and purchased another TV under another brand name. Basically if your TV isn't under warranty it's now a massive paper weight. The company leaves people hanging with no help with an issue that is very large. Pathetic excuse of a company sending out a patch that destroys tvs and won't help to fix it. I will make sure to let everyone know never to buy this brand. 

Keith633

Re: Never ending Recovery Mode Screen

Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue with my TV.

0 Kudos
UNIQUE1CLIFF
Channel Surfer

Roku tv stuck in Recovery mode *READ THIS*

Jump to solution

If your "ROKU IS STUCK IN RECOVERY MODE" Every one I figured it out please share this and I have other informative videos on my YouTube Channel please subscribe "CLIFF WILKES" I'm leaving the links I show you how to fix it, https://youtu.be/mb0WsncH4K4 I'm LEGIT fr yall https://youtu.be/mb0WsncH4K4

Gertiec

Jump to solution

Tried the fix you gave another customer and the tv is still stuck. Restarted tv and router. Factory reset tv. It will stop in the middle of the factory reset and go to recovery mode and will not finish updating. 

Lowrobb
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Update: so TCL sends outsourced technicians to my apartment. As TCL support confirmed on the call that it was a hardware problem, basically, they changed the machine of my TCL 50", then it all goes back to normal. 

What intrigued me, though, when the technicians came, they asked this question before they got into my apartment: "What is your TV brand, Samsung? LG? or TCL?" Oops... do other TV brands having the same problems too?

Bestmom

Jump to solution

Mines been doing the SAME thing. I have unplugged everything, replaced cords to everything. When I seem to have it working restarts. I have even reset with paper clip on side of tv. Then BAM recovered for a bit and then BAM back to recovery mode 

0 Kudos
Yvonnealford
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

We can not get ours out of recovery mode. We have followed all the steps and NOTHING seems to work. PLEASE HELP. I am ready to throw this TV away. It is the worse television we have ever purchased. 

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Yvonnealford wrote:

We can not get ours out of recovery mode. We have followed all the steps and NOTHING seems to work. PLEASE HELP. I am ready to throw this TV away. It is the worse television we have ever purchased. 

I was googling about the problem and found this post which suggests an accidental fix to the problem. Others said it didn't work for them. But, it wouldn't hurt to try. As I understood it, the key was to leave the tv unplugged for 30 minutes. Don't immediately plug it back in. Another post in that thread links to a video which says you're supposed to hold the reset button in while plugging the tv in (and continue holding the button down until you see the front light flash). That puts you in the initial setup screen. It was a little unclear to me if he said you're supposed to hold it down while the tv is on, and unplug the tv (while holding it down?). But, definitely he says you then hold it down while plugging the tv back in, wait for the light to flash, release the button.).

I've never experienced the recovery mode. I don't know what the screens look like. I'm wondering if you guys have network problems preventing something from happening (does recovery mode need to download the latest update?). That post I linked to talks about the update-from-USB option which I know exists during initial setup. This support page discusses that process. If Recovery Mode gives you the option to say "I don't have internet access," then I think that's where you can download the software to USB drive from a computer, and supply it to the tv that way. (The initial setup screen definitely has that option. That's what the support page discusses. The video at the end of that thread I linked to says it puts you in initial setup.).

Agree with your sentiment about Roku, or the tvs its on. That thread I linked to is almost 6 months old. You'd think the company would fix stuff, make these things more dummy-proof, smooth the sharp-edges. Instead they're removing favorites (which people *want*), and adding 1000+ streaming channels to broadcast tv. All while the same old problems keep recurring month after month. We have no idea what priority Roku's leadership gives to this problem. There's never any feedback. We could be talking about this a year from now, always thinking that the company is truly doing something (when instead they're squandering resources on new features of dubious value.). This company does not care about the people who use the product.

The only power you have is to give reviews everywhere you can think of so people know what they're getting into. The TVs are pretty good, until you have to deal with Roku (or Roku pushes its vision of the future at you, and your tv is less useable as a result). I think that's what's frustrating. Plus, the tv manufacturer will point the finger at Roku. Roku blames the tv hardware. I've got a feeling this whole "Roku on any tv brand" is like the difference between Apple with its walled garden of hardware it can easily support, versus Microsoft working on an infinitesimally large variety of "clones." MS-DOS & Windows were always notoriously unstable due to the anarchy of hardware (compared to Apple's safe & limited choices). I doubt I'll be doing this again. Maybe a stand-alone Roku external box connected to a Samsung or Sony. Nobody needs this kind of drama in their lives. But, the worst part is that Roku obviously does not empathize with its customers. It's the same stuff over and over, for months.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.