Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Issues with Insignia Roku TV

Jump to solution

I have a Insignia Roku TV, 5408X. Software version is 8.1.0. 4140-20

I've had the TV for a year, and up until the last few months it worked fine. But now I've been having a network issue-- the wireless connection would only work for around 10-15 minutes streaming on any channel, before it would buffer, get a network error, read "You're not connected to the internet," and essentially crash the channel. I would have to return to home and disconnect/reconnect the wireless network and then go back to streaming, only to have to do it again in 10-15 minutes. This was making the TV basically unusable. 

I tried various online fixes (system restart, software update, the "secret menu" stuff) to no avail until last night I just decided to do a full factory reset. Set the account up again, got connected to the same old network, and voila! I streamed Netflix for a few hours with no buffering or crashing. I thought I had fixed it, until today, a day later, it's back to the same thing-- disconnecting every 10 minutes. 

I don't think this is a problem with my router/internet, because other devices in the same room work fine. It also says the signal strength is "Good" or "Excellent," and I never have any buffering/signal strength issues in between the crashes, which is confusing to me. It seems like it's just dropping the connection at random. If anyone has any idea what's up I'd gladly appreciate it. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: Network Issues with Insignia Roku TV

Jump to solution

@Chrisj42

Thanks for reaching out. You can try adjusting your Wi-Fi network to use a different wireless broadcast channel, or ensure that your Wi-Fi network is broadcasting on the 5GHz band to help improve performance and decrease interference. We have some additional tips to help improve your wireless connection here: https://support.roku.com/article/213122277-tips-for-improving-the-wireless-connection-to-your-roku-s...

If those suggestions aren't helping resolve the issue, you'll want to contact your Roku TV manufacturer directly for more assistance. You can locate the contact information for Insignia support here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Manufacturer-Support-Warranty-Resources/Contacting-Support-for-Your-Ro...

Thanks,
Tanner

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
40 REPLIES 40
dgrace
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
I wouldn't rule out your router. A neighbor has a roku tv and had similar streaming woes and she had a rock solid but older Linksys wrt54g router. I suggested a dual channel, with N or AC capabilities, which she purchased. No more streaming issues.
It could be something as simple as network congestion. Other devices may work great but streaming video is high bandwidth demanding. Is it possible that a neighbor may have wifi broadcasting on the same channel? 
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution
What dgrace said. Someone might have installed a new router that is using the same channel as yours, and now you have interference you didn't have before. Particularly in the 2.4 GHz band, it's amazing how many different wireless points appear within my home when I do a scan. It just takes one on the wrong channel to make a mess of things. If you have the ability to move to 5 GHz, give it a try. I can't remember if my Insignia TV has 5 GHz support, but it's the smallest, cheapest model, so yours might where mine might not. 
Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Chrisj42
Visitor

Jump to solution
I'm having similar problems - drops every few hours. Every other device in the house doesn't drop at the same time..including t.vs with roku..the external roku device is fine. I think it's the cheap insignia tv,s wifi card. I'm hoping a firmware update will fix it one day but I'm doubtful.
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Chrisj42

Thanks for reaching out. You can try adjusting your Wi-Fi network to use a different wireless broadcast channel, or ensure that your Wi-Fi network is broadcasting on the 5GHz band to help improve performance and decrease interference. We have some additional tips to help improve your wireless connection here: https://support.roku.com/article/213122277-tips-for-improving-the-wireless-connection-to-your-roku-s...

If those suggestions aren't helping resolve the issue, you'll want to contact your Roku TV manufacturer directly for more assistance. You can locate the contact information for Insignia support here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Manufacturer-Support-Warranty-Resources/Contacting-Support-for-Your-Ro...

Thanks,
Tanner

0 Kudos
Doug42
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am having network problems with buffering and internet connection errors, which are intermittent.  My Roku software is up-to-date.  Doing a connection check shows speed excellent, but Mbps shows consistently 25-26, where doing a speed check on my iMac shows download Mbps of 153, upload of 20.  My other devices connect with no problems, never have a buffering or internet disconnect error.  Any suggestions why speed on Roku TV shows so much less?  Also, what can I do to fix it?  Thank you for any help you can provide.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

My Roku players never show a speed that matches what my actual Internet speed is. However, you didn't say of you're using wireless or Ethernet. If you are wired, remember that the Roku only has a Fast Ethernet connection, which tops out real world at about 90 Mbps. But yours saying 25-26 is low even for Roku reporting standards. If you're wireless, you could be getting interference on your wireless channel from other devices or routers. Changing the channel your wireless router uses is a good first step. 

My Internet is 90 Mbps down, but my wired Roku devices never report any higher than 55-60 Mbps. Switching to wireless they report even lower. But I don't encounter any buffering on anything other than my UHD movie rips, which can exceed 130 Mbps peak data streams. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Sassymando

Jump to solution

I'm also having the same problems with the TV and I know it's not a router issue I have a brand new router just set up and the issues are still continuing and it's only this TV it doesn't affect any other of my vices or my other Roku devices I have also done all of this above steps I'm also wondering if I hook up an external Roku to the TV and go that way instead if it would work better

Sassymando

Jump to solution

And just to clarify the Insignia Roku TV is only Wireless it does not have an ethernet port unfortunately

0 Kudos
LPBirt

Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue. I've done all of the troubleshooting steps with Techs and still no network. I've even used my phone as a hotspot; no network. Nor is the tv finding other close by networks. I was told if using your phone as a hotspot and it still doesn't work, it's definitely the WiFi Module that has gone bad. I've had my tv for 2 yrs and don't use it daily (in my lounge area). The connection was working fine prior. I started having issues 3 weeks ago. I was about to remove my cable from the tv and use the Roku apps. Luckily, I haven't did that yet. The tv is now useless unless cable is connected to it.