Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Severt

Wifi changed, remote not paired

Jump to solution

We tried to pair our roku remote with our roku stick, but since the wifi has changed since we last used it the remote won't work since it connects through the wifi. Now I can't pair the remote because it's not connected to the WiFi and I can't connect to the wifi because the remote is not paired. Is there a way to connect a roku stick to wifi without a remote that is paired? I saw one post that said get a new remote, but if they all work through wifi that won't help.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Wifi changed, remote not paired

Jump to solution

Pairing a remote has nothing to do with the Wi-Fi network you're trying to connect to.  The remote uses Wi-Fi Direct which is outside of network communication.  Make sure you have good, fresh batteries in the remote.  Hold in the pairing button inside the battery compartment until the light on the remote illuminates or flashes and then power up your Roku.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

Re: Remote

Jump to solution

They just cannot give us a straight answer!! I moved. Roku says "Not connected" I'm unable to use phone or remote to get Roku to settings so that I can set up wireless. We KNOW HOW to set it up, but we need to be able to manipulate the menu!?

Sir
Reel Rookie

Re: Remote

Jump to solution

I figured out a hack. Take and plug the Roku up to the Ethernet cord, and then download the Roku app on your phone and connect it that way and you will be good to go. 

Need to connect roku to WiFi without remote

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am trying to connect my TCL ROKU TV to WiFi to set it up. I do not have the remote. I also do not know the old WiFi SSID/Password, so I am not able to use the mobile hotspot method to connect to the roku. Is there any other way I can get the roku tv to connect to WiFi?

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Need to connect roku to WiFi without remote

Jump to solution

Hi @Jacobfreedman1,

Thanks for the post.

You'll need the actual remote to connect your Roku device to your wireless network.

If you need a replacement remote for a Roku TV, you would need to contact your TV manufacturer.

You can reach them here: https://support.tclusa.com/televisions or at 1-877-300-8837.
You can also purchase a remote that is compatible with your Roku TV here: https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-tv

I've also provided a link to go into further detail: How do I find my wireless network name and password? - Roku

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
degrange1
Reel Rookie

Connect to WiFi without a remote

Jump to solution

I changed the WiFi password and now can’t connect my Roku stick to it because I can’t find the remote.  I have the remote app and have an iPhone.  

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Re: Connect to WiFi without a remote

Jump to solution

The mobile app is only useful after you connect. You need a remote to connect.

Which device do you have?

If it's a Stick (or Stick+) you'll need a WiFi direct remote. You can probably get one from your nearest Walmart, Target, or Best Buy.

If it's an Express, Premiere, or Ultra line -- a standard set top box -- then any cheap universal IR remote will likely work. You can find those as cheap as $5 from Family Dollar, Walmart, etc. Just ensure the packaging says it works with Roku. Again IR remotes are not for Stick/Stick+ models, just for boxes.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
degrange1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks so much for the reply and advice.  I have the Roku stick.  I do have a Roku remote for my other Roku stick in my family room.  Is there a way to reprogram it to link with the Roku stick in my bedroom (this is the one that is not currently connected to the Wifi and without a remote)?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

It depends on the model number of the Stick. If you have the 3500 (purple case), only a remote for the same exact model will work. If they are both newer model Stick players (black case), then you should be able to link your existing remote to it. Use the Link button under the battery cover. This page might help you get it paired. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.