Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My windows 11 laptop won't screen mirror to my Roku TV

I am unable to screen mirror my screen from my Winodws 11 laptop to my Roku TV I try to cast to my Roku TV and it says that it's starting the video but it is just a black screen and the loading bar stops about a fourth of the way and doesn't move. It also says its "connecting" on my laptop, until it eventually fails and disconnects. It works just fine through SmartView on my Android phone, so I don't know what the issue is here. I've tried restarting, messing with some network settings, disconnecting my laptop and TV from the Wifi and I don't know what the issue is. Please help.

8 REPLIES 8
tomb1

Re: My windows 11 laptop won't screen mirror to my Roku TV

I observed a similar problem with identical symptoms. Problem is referenced in Microsoft forum (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-mirroring-in-windows-11/f5b29481-e82b-4...).

Issue apparently traced to pc firewall issue. Indeed, when I turn off my McAfee firewall, connection to Roku is made successfully and mirroring appears to work fine. Was also able to use youtuble "Play on TV". With firewall in place, neither method makes a Roku connection.

tomb1

Moreover, for me, it appears to be just a connection problem. When I open the firewall, the connection to Roku gets made, and my laptop screen is mirrored. Then, I can close the firewall, and the mirroring continues without interruption. However, if I break the connection, and then attempt to re-connect, it fails.

Rapscallion88
Reel Rookie

Hi,

Perhaps this is fixed but I had the same issue and I found that when I open the Avast Firewall and try and connect to the Roku TV, a new network name pops up in the Avast firewall UI. I changed that network from "untrusted" to "Trusted" and my screen was mirrored.

Thanks,

K

My friend and I have the same problem mirroring to ROKU from WIN 11 computers with McAfee.

HERE IS THE SOLUTION MY FRIEND GOT FROM MCAFEE THAT WORKED WITH NO PROBLEMS FOR BOTH OF US:

McAfee support had us reset the firewall by -

Open McAfee Security center on computer
In top Left corner, below the Home icon are 4 squares
  click the 5th item from top which is Firewall.

New Screen says Firewall:
On the right side are two ovals
   1. Restore Defaults
   2. Turn Off Firewall

Click on Restore Defaults

Now restart the Windows computer

After reboot, go back into McAfee to confirm Firewall is ON

Now try connecting to the Roku.

This worked! (Computer screen appeared on Roku device with Firewall Enabled) and keeps working.

coleygross
Channel Surfer

I have a Roku 65" Mine was streaming fine, I had bluetooth on, there is an icon on my Acer Aspire ( I assume on all 2021-2022 Win computers (My old Toshiba only showed via and HDMI cable direct from old Tosbiba Laptop 1998,9 via Win 10. 

I prefer mirroring ( casting is different, if you want to CAST go to youtube on your TV "if it has the youtube app amiable then CAST) You must open your YouTube app on TV first.

Weird; When I bought the computer from Amazon June 2022, It had Win 10 on it and streamed perfect to my Roku (Harder than an Android TV). It had the option to upgrade to Win 11. Well then I ran into problems. So I figure let me upgrade to Win 11 pro $99 more. Bull, Now, at this point (there is something weird, I had to turn bluetooth on-off then press the F5 key, which on lower case shoes an ocon on the F5 key in lower case to stream. A bar appears on the right:  PC screen only, Duplicate, Extend and  2nd screen only. It worked like a charm in Win 10. 

After upgrade to Win 11 is when I began to have problems. I'm still working on it. If I find an answer I will post for those that have the same issue. 

This will be the 5th post. That's crazy! I expected 100's of post. Before Tiger Direct flopped in Miami I bought a few 25' HDMI cables so if push come to shove I'll use the frigging cable.

Coley Gross

0 Kudos

I can confirm this worked for me!

Finally!

0 Kudos

Please see the post from: WIN11_OWNER-202

In this same thread.

His list of steps worked perfectly for me
0 Kudos
UghWindows

This works but you have to restore defaults - restart - Every. Single. Time.

I might just uninstall. The "trial" period has been a trial, that's for sure! Esp. if this is going to crop up with every firewall.

0 Kudos