Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RDSTEIMLE
Reel Rookie

My children use the Roku TV

Hello,

I love my Roku TV but there is one concern I have…

I have noticed that when I turn on my Roku TV, there  are shows advertised on the Home Screen, it is very annoying but I tolerate it. What actually concerns me is the advertising in that space sometimes shows men dressed as women (and not very convincingly mind you). To say they look like a woman is actually an enormous insult to women but I don’t know how else to describe it. I could describe it as a man possessed by a demon, parading around as a sexualized caricature, a oversimplification and desecration, of what it truly means to be a woman;  an enormous insult to all woman everywhere. This borders mental illness and it’s very offensive because wearing woman’s clothing, getting plastic surgery and putting on some cheap makeup doesn’t make a woman what she truly is, but I don’t believe that accuracy describes what is pictured there either. 

My friend told me it was a “drag queen” named RuPaul.  I want to be clear that I do support giving mentally ill and disabled people jobs so they can feel like an important part of society.  I’m glad this RuPaul has enough success to advertise on my television, despite his mental illness (or her mental illness, I don’t know what pronoun to use since they are always changing the standard). Good for him/her/sim/zer, however this RuPaul identifies. 

My concern here is that I have children who sometimes use this Roku TV and I’m not sure how to explain to them why there are mentally ill men dressing as demonically possessed women on my screen. 

How can I turn off the insulting images that are sexualizing women, or more accurately put, what mentality ill men believe it means to be a woman. 

Please help me with this…

Best wishes,

Robert 
4 REPLIES 4
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My children use the Roku TV

@RDSTEIMLE 

The images and programming to which they link will be found to varying degrees on all streaming devices. They are more likely to occur on devices that allow ads. This includes Roku, Amazon Fire TV, and Google/Android TV devices. Apple doesn't have outside ads on their streaming devices.

If your children have questions about what they see on TV, do as should always be done: answer the questions openly and honestly.

If you do not want the images on your TV, your options are currently limited to not having most streaming device on your TV.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

tonytheferg
Reel Rookie

Yeah, these drag ads are quite obnoxious. 

RealMusician
Binge Watcher

Iv had Roku's for three years and this is the first time i have ever seen any sort of sexual content or shows pushed at all let alone on the Roku Home Menu Page next to out family icons with half page adds that cant be removed. Roku doesn't even have an adult section and now suddenly adult shows like Kink on the Home Page.. Why cant LGBTQ make regular shows with gay actors? Weird they are all sexualized and have sexual hinting tittles.

Not cool Roku

ex_customer
Reel Rookie

Couldn't agree more. Roku doesn't seem to care and has an agenda to push, so I'll start replacing my TVs and use my router to block the ads in the mean time. https://jasonpearce.com/2020/09/16/how-to-disable-ads-on-the-roku-home-screen/

Get woke, go broke Roku.