Discussions

Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yzenon
Reel Rookie

My TV does not have a HDMI-ARC port or an optical port for my Streambar. How can I fix this?

Jump to solution

Is there else something I can buy to connect the Streambar to my TV? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My TV does not have a HDMI-ARC port or an optical port for my Streambar. How can I fix this?

Jump to solution

@yzenon 

Although the Roku Streambar may not be ideal in a TV setup without HDMI ARC or an optical port, users have reportedly successfully hooked them up to their HDMI ports.  You can certainly do this if all you are going to use it for is Roku.  (Media streamed through Roku will come through the Streambar).  Cannot hook other peripherals up to it/tv  and hear sound through the Streambar though. (cable boxes, dvd players, etc.).  Will have to switch to TV speakers for these peripherals.

During setup, you just have to select that your TV doesn't support HDMI ARC and answer that you hooked up the optical cable. (https://community.roku.com/t5/Discussions/Can-I-use-Streambar-with-TV-Without-ARC-or-S-PDIF/td-p/625...).

The above depends on whether it is practical for you in your setup to use the Streambar or pursue another Roku setup that may work better for you.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
CelticsFan
Roku Guru

Re: My TV does not have a HDMI-ARC port or an optical port for my Streambar. How can I fix this?

Jump to solution

Did you research before buying the Streambar? Is there a reason you bought that particular one? How old is your TV? Did you try any other HDMI ports? Sounds to me like you need a better tv or return the streambar. You can return it and buy something like the Roku Stick 4K or Express 4K.

https://support.roku.com/article/360050034473

"If your TV does not have an ARC port, you can still use your Roku Streambar to get exceptional sound from your TV's built-in tuner and other devices connected to your TV, but you will need to connect a second cable. In addition to the HDMI cable, you need to connect an optical cable to your TV's optical output, sometimes labeled "Digital audio out" or "Digital output". This connection carries TV audio to your Streambar, while the HDMI connection delivers video from the streaming player in your Streambar to your TV. If you need to use the optical port, visit the settings on your TV to make sure the output is active, or enabled."

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@yzenon 

Although the Roku Streambar may not be ideal in a TV setup without HDMI ARC or an optical port, users have reportedly successfully hooked them up to their HDMI ports.  You can certainly do this if all you are going to use it for is Roku.  (Media streamed through Roku will come through the Streambar).  Cannot hook other peripherals up to it/tv  and hear sound through the Streambar though. (cable boxes, dvd players, etc.).  Will have to switch to TV speakers for these peripherals.

During setup, you just have to select that your TV doesn't support HDMI ARC and answer that you hooked up the optical cable. (https://community.roku.com/t5/Discussions/Can-I-use-Streambar-with-TV-Without-ARC-or-S-PDIF/td-p/625...).

The above depends on whether it is practical for you in your setup to use the Streambar or pursue another Roku setup that may work better for you.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

yzenon
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@AvsGunnar 
Hi, I was successfully able to make the Streambar work properly even without having a ARC or optical port, all I did was connect it to the regular HDMI port on my TV like you mentioned, and it worked! I do however, plan on getting a newer TV that has a ARC port soon. Thank you so much for the help! 

POPlar
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Wow  you`re teaching me. I thought my tv didn`t have one until today. Some HDMI inputs were on the side but the HDMI ARC AND Digital input was on the back bottom of the tv.