Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

My TCL Roku TV model 40s305 automatically dims when I turn it on.

Jump to solution

I bought a 40 inch TCL Roku TV in May of 2018. The TV has been perfect with the exception of the odd software glitch here and there. I woke up this morning and noticed that my TV would instantly dim the screen when I turned it on. I tried running a factory reset and later pulling out and putting back in the power cord. Nothing changed. The TV still boots up and immediately dims the screen. What a way to start Christmas day, lol.

So anyways is my TV broken or is there anyway I can fix it? I highly doubt I'm still within the warranty. My instincts tell me it might be an issue with the backlight and not the actual screen. I don't know really. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: My TCL Roku TV model 40s305 automatically dims when I turn it on.

Jump to solution

@SevKnight 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Have you tried contacting TCL support yet to inquire further? I'd suggest starting there to see what options or suggestions they can provide. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support for their products running the Roku OS. 

You can reach them here: https://support.tclusa.com/televisions or at 1-877-300-8837.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@SevKnight 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Have you tried contacting TCL support yet to inquire further? I'd suggest starting there to see what options or suggestions they can provide. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support for their products running the Roku OS. 

You can reach them here: https://support.tclusa.com/televisions or at 1-877-300-8837.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I’m having the same issue this morning. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

What worked for me was standing close to TV so I could read menu. Smiley Wink

Go to SETTINGS then select SYSTEM.  In the SYSTEM menu you can select SYSTEM RESTART. (You may find this under the POWER settings.)

When I selected SYSTEM RESTART my TV automatically turned off and back on again with the original brightness I was accustomed to seeing. Yay!

Not sure what or why it happened but glad this worked for me!  

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Sorry for the long post, but wanted to share my experience.

Had the same problem occur with our 40" TCL Roku TV we bought from Costco several years ago (model 40FS3750) which is currently running 9.2.0 build 4805-08.  While I own a few other TCL Roku TVs that work perfectly, this particular model was underpowered from the get-go and always suffered from lags in booting up, loading apps, or simply navigating the screen.  I thought I would try to "upgrade" it by plugging in a newer Roku streaming stick and having the TV power up directly to that input, but whenever I attempted this the TV would start up with an extremely dim if not black screen.  I attempted the same things that everyone else did like messing with the display settings  (which did nothing) and the only way I could get this problem to go away by factory resetting or by power cycling it without the stick plugged in... but then the problem would immediately re-appear after you power cycled it again. 

Through trial and error I found that if I did a factory reset and set the TV to store mode then the dimming issue would go away and my intended upgrade attempt would work.  The main difference I see in store mode is that it disables the power saving settings you get in a traditional mode, so the TV will not auto-dim or power off after so many hours of being idle.  My guess is that there is a SW issue with this model that causes it to get stuck in a power saving mode when something is plugged into a HDMI port.   

Overall this solution seems to work for what I was hoping to get out of it and the remote for the streaming stick is even able to control the power/volume of the original TV.  The main drawbacks are that you lose the auto shut-off feature and still need the old remote if you want to switch to another input... but that's not an issue with me given I don't have anything else plugged into it.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you for this tip it helped in my situation. My home screen and apps would work but when I tried to watch live tv or stream or game the screen would be all dark super dark don’t know what the problem was but it’s fixed! Again thank you. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

I was having a problem with my new TCL Roku TV brightness fading in and out and ever since I did a system restart, not only has it stopped, but my screen looks a lot better and brighter, and my Roku TV is working better! #TCL

0 Kudos