Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guy3
Channel Surfer

Re: Motion Smoothing Issues on new TCL

Oh interesting, I've read from other sources that gamma set to 2.0 brings it more in line than (what should be the accurate default) 2.4. Wouldn't mind checking out your sources if you have any handy 🙂

So my question then is, after factory resetting the tv and fast start turned off, does your tv run 'correctly' (no soap opera effect) before you change to the 'movie' preset (and obviously before you start tinkering around with values both on the tv and in the app).

0 Kudos
MassAwesomeOne
Binge Watcher

My only sources are my test charts. It does look like it wants to get a little bit darker than it should though. I would say if you're watching in normal daytime conditions or a bright room stick with a 2.0.

It ran correctly for several days, maybe even up to a week with all those adjustments in place. I didn't notice any software update happen either when it went back to the soap opera effect. Was on the same build as before.

0 Kudos
Dargis49
Streaming Star

For a while. At first it took a month for the"soap opera" effect to come back. Now it's every other day. I sent tcl videos of my issue. And they seem like they have no idea this is going on. It's obviously a widespread problem and they are doing nothing to fix it. 

I just got an email back from them yesterday saying my "issue" was solved. How they came to that conclusion is beyond me. I will be calling them again today to see how they came to this absurd conclusion.

MassAwesomeOne
Binge Watcher

Update: When watching content through the built in apps, restarting no longer seems to get rid of soap opera effect. This is terrible as my FireStick does not show HDR correctly on this TV. The built in apps are the only way I can stream HDR. 

0 Kudos
CDizzle
Reel Rookie

After trying all the solutions, I did find that just resetting the TV through the menu has fixed the issue for now. It sounds like people are saying it comes back, but so far so good. I had to then go change my TV settings on the various inputs.

0 Kudos
Undead
Reel Rookie

I posted a while ago that I used the menu to restart the tv (quick start is off, too), and that fixed it. To date, the problem still hasn’t returned. Previously I was doing a factory reset literally every day.

Mileage may vary. Bear in mind I don’t use any of the TV apps, and it sounds like they might be the cause of some issues. I’ve only been using a single input with my Xbox One, and running apps off of that. 

0 Kudos
jdeprey
Channel Surfer

I have the TCL 75R615, I only had the issue on the HDMI input I use for a Cable Box input. After I turned on Game Mode I have not had the issue come back yet. I do not seem to have the issue on the Apps I use, Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime etc. I would hate to have to turn of "Fast Start" because I think I have to have that on for my Harmony Remote Hub to turn off and on the TV via the network.

0 Kudos
Alec1
Reel Rookie

I can't wait to hear how they solved your issue. /s

In all seriousness, maybe that means a patch is coming soon? They can't keep pretend like this isn't happening to their customers.

0 Kudos
Doofus
Reel Rookie

I haven't had the issue return for 2+ weeks since Factory Resetting my TV and not configuring wifi,

I use a FireStick 4k for streaming services. 

Maybe this is a problem triggered by the apps loaded onto the TV itself.  I recall my issue appeared AFTER i downloaded some apps onto my TV,

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts and information.

Can you please provide us with the following information:
-brand Roku TV and model number
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-is there a specific title or content that this is happening with?
-can you provide steps on what you are doing when you see this issue?

Once we have this information, I will be able to pass it along to the appropriate team to look further into.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Tags (1)
0 Kudos