Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bahsura
Reel Rookie

Re: Motion Smoothing Issues on new TCL

@RokuDanny-R I have the same annoying problem. Everything looks like a soup opera no matter if I turn every picture setting off.

I do not know if this has mentioned before but I noticed that when I bring the options menu up, the interpolation disappears! It is crazy, it is as if the TV can not notice that the interpolation should be really off unless the menu is up. Unfortunately once the options menu goes away, you can clearly notice how the movie that was running correctly in the background starts to have interpolation.

Fortunately even when I tried the quick fix of restarting the system from the Power Menu and did not work the first time, I tried a second time and it seemed to do the trick, at least temporarily.

HOWEVER, I noticed that if I use the included Netflix app, the interpolation activates again on all inputs, and it stays that way no matter what until I restart the system a couple of times. So I have to restart the system again and again and use Netflix from my Playstation 4 to avoid the included Netflix for Roku app, which seems to be causing the problem.

This is embarrassing Roku, please fix this ASAP. Maybe the Netflix app is at fault somehow, but you should make sure that not one single app can screw everything.

My TV is model: TCL 55" CLASS 5-SERIES 4K UHD DOLBY VISION HDR ROKU SMART TV - 55S515

0 Kudos
bahsura
Reel Rookie

@RokuDanny-R I have the same annoying problem. Everything looks like a soup opera no matter if I turn every picture setting off.

I do not know if this has mentioned before but I noticed that when I bring the options menu up, the interpolation disappears! It is crazy, it is as if the TV can not notice that the interpolation should be really off unless the menu is up. Unfortunately once the options menu goes away, you can clearly notice how the movie that was running correctly in the background starts to have interpolation.

Fortunately, even when I tried the quick fix of restarting the system from the Power System Menu and did not work the first time, I tried a second time and it seemed to do the trick, at least temporarily.

HOWEVER, I noticed that if at any time I use the HOME button, even if its just for a couple of seconds to select another input, the interpolation activates again on all inputs, and it stays that way no matter what until I restart the system a couple of times. So I have to restart the system again and again and use Netflix from my Playstation 4 to avoid the included Netflix for Roku app, which I can only access thru the HOME menu that seems to be causing the problem.

This is embarrassing Roku, please fix this ASAP please.

My TV is model: TCL 55" CLASS 5-SERIES 4K UHD DOLBY VISION HDR ROKU SMART TV - 55S515

0 Kudos
Dargis49
Streaming Star

Well. It's been 4 weeks since I've heard from TCL. And to be completely honest, I'm starting to get pissed off. It's too late to return my TV and they are no help. Will update if I hear anything. 

0 Kudos
Dargis49
Streaming Star

So far I thought this was only a 6 series issue. If this is happening to the 5 series as well then **bleep**. TCL really needs to get this taken care of. Their TVs look great, especially for the price, but if they don't fix this, I know I won't be getting another one. And I'm sure there are a bunch of other people that won't either. Was going to buy a new 6 series for the next gen consoles. 120hz and all. May be looking elsewhere if they don't fix this soon.

0 Kudos
Iamsnowbear
Channel Surfer

This isn’t a TCL issue, it’s happening on my Sharp Roku TV as well. 

0 Kudos
Pintweaks
Binge Watcher

@Iamsnowbear wrote:

This isn’t a TCL issue, it’s happening on my Sharp Roku TV as well. 

Wow, that’s good to know. I was under the impression that this thread would go largely unheard because I believed it to be a TCL issue only, and TCL doesn’t provide a community forum like this to discuss such issues. Thanks for chiming in with that! 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@bahsura 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us with the following information:

-brand Roku TV and model number
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-is there a specific title or content that this is happening with?
-can you provide steps on what you are doing when you see this issue?
-please provide a tracker ID when this issue occurs (A tracker ID can be generated by pressing the Home button 5x, followed by the Back button 5x when you see the issue occurs)

Once we have this information, I will be able to pass it along to the appropriate team to look further into.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
plantbasedgamer
Binge Watcher

@RokuDanny-R 

Will the newly announced Roku OS 9.4 fix all these issues we’ve been plagued with?

0 Kudos
bahsura
Reel Rookie

@RokuDanny-R Here you have it. Hopefully this will help in resolving this issue.

-brand Roku TV and model number
Roku TV 7118X TCL model 55S515

-serial number
YS00NW460342

-device ID
FT289N460342

-software OS/version
9.3.0 build 4194-30

-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel
No, this issue starts happening every time the TV goes to the home menu.

-is there a specific title or content that this is happening with?
You can see the interpolation with all video being played. Regardless of it being played through any channel within the TV or an external video player through a video input.

-can you provide steps on what you are doing when you see this issue?
I just turn on the TV and press the HOME Button. You see, I had to enable (Last used TV input) and disable Fast TV start, so every time I turn the TV on it goes to the 1st input or 2nd input where I have my PlayStation 4 or Xbox. This is the only way I can watch content without this issue, from one of those consoles.

If at anytime I press the HOME button (which I have to do in order to switch inputs), the problem appears. From there on, all video being played, regardless of “Action Smoothing” (interpolation) being disabled in picture settings, will have interpolation.

Interpolation will be active from that point on, always. It does not matter if the content is being played with Roku´s channels or through the inputs. It also does not matter what the picture settings for each input are. The only way I found to revert it back to watch content without interpolation is to select the input, and then proceed to do a “System restart” from the Power Settings. That way the TV will restart but will go directly to the Last used TV input and from there I can watch whatever I want on my PS4 or Xbox without interpolation. If I have to switch to input 2, by pressing the HOME button, the problem will appear again: interpolation will be active at all times from that point on. So, I have to repeat the same System restart process every time I switch inputs, which is ridiculous.

There´s no way I can use any of the TV´s downloaded channels without interpolation, because to use them I have to navigate to the HOME menu, and this fact alone will activate the interpolation.

Something I noticed: independently of the source, if a video is playing and you bring up the Options menu, you can clearly notice the video will behave correctly (meaning as it should by the picture settings´ “Action Smoothing” disabled value). By bringing up the Options menu, the TV will respect this value and look correct, (in real time, you´ll notice the video playing without interpolation behind the Options menu overlay) but once the Options menu closes, it looks all wrong with applied interpolation. It’s as if the TV can´t keep the established settings active once the Options menu closes. You get to witness this clear change in the video being played in real time.

-please provide a tracker ID when this issue occurs (A tracker ID can be generated by pressing the Home button 5x, followed by the Back button 5x when you see the issue occurs)

I tried to do this, but it seems that nothing appears. Please note that I just turned on the TV, pressed HOME to go the home menu and did this button combination. There´s no channel or steps you need to follow to reproduce this issue more than to go to the main HOME screen.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@bahsura 

Thanks for the information.

I have passed your information to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Tags (1)
0 Kudos