Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maeko80

Re: Motion Smoothing Issues on new TCL

I have the same issue on my Roku TV. Have went thru the menus over and over trying to turn the features on and then back off to see if that would work but no dice. Can't stand the motion smoothing as it makes everything look like its a home movie.

0 Kudos
Hilandr

Same thing here. What fixed it was a factory reset and not connecting it to the internet. Luckily I have an Apple TV attached so no need for the Roku functionality (and thus no need for internet on the TV).

0 Kudos
Dargis49
Streaming Star

I wouldn't call that a fix. It's a temporary solution. You shouldn't have to disconnect the TV from the internet to have it not screw up on you. This tv is sold as a Roku tv. Not a monitor for other streaming services.

0 Kudos
Iamsnowbear
Channel Surfer

I’m browsing threads and this is the first one I’ve found that brings this same issue up. One day it just starts the action smoothing, I’ve noticed it turns off when I have the settings menu pulled up on half the screen. Then press the menu off and the smoothing comes back.

i opted for the Sharp 55 since my previous TCL 55 roku 4 crapped out and the screen just stopped turning on. 

I will try and take it up with Sharp support but I’m guessing I’ll get the same treatment.

while these roku tv’s are at a great price point, I’m going to step it up on the next TV and get a more expensive model and plug in my roku box and call it a day. 

I have a Sharp 55” Roku TV 7225x 

running the 9.3.0 build. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

If you haven't already, can you please provide us with the following information:
-brand Roku TV and model number
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-is there a specific title or content that this is happening with?
-can you provide steps on what you are doing when you see this issue?
-please provide a tracker ID when this issue occurs (A tracker ID can be generated by pressing the Home button 5x, followed by the Back button 5x when you see the issue occurs)

Once we have this information, I will be able to pass it along to the appropriate team to look further into.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
brdcst507
Reel Rookie

Hi Danny @RokuDanny-R,

This is happening on every channel, most notably Netflix and Amazon Prime. Used to think Criterion Channel was fine, but even that has this smoothing effect. My TV doesn't even come with an option to turn off smoothing. Please fix the bug as soon as possible. Just purchased the TV a week ago. Already thinking about returning it; I didn't expect to have problems right out of the box. Here's all the necessary info you asked for:

-brand Roku TV and model number: TCL 4 Series, 43", Model 43S425
-serial number: X00000T6RVGX
-device ID: S038T076RVGX
-software OS/version: 9.3.0 - build 4194-93
-Happens on a lot of channels, most notably Netflix (Version 5.1 - build 81188087), Amazon Prime Video (Version 11.4 - build 2020090921), Hulu (Version 6.34 - build 0), Disney+ (Version 1.7 - build 2020081800)...basically it happens on every channel, and it's very noticeable on movies or anything that was originally shot in 24 fps. For shows shot in 30fps like Seinfeld, there is not smoothing effect there.
-"can you provide steps on what you are doing when you see this issue?" Not sure how to answer this question. I'm sitting down in front of the TV when I see this issue.
-"please provide a tracker ID when this issue occurs (A tracker ID can be generated by pressing the Home button 5x, followed by the Back button 5x when you see the issue occurs)" - Can't really figure out how to get a tracker ID, but you have plenty of information here.

Please fix the issue within the next day or two or I'll have to return the TV, which will be a lot of trouble because I'm social distancing and quarantining as best I can. Thanks for your expediency in resolving the issue, and I look forward to your response!

Best,

Nicky

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@brdcst507 

Thanks for the information.

I have passed it along the appropriate team to look further into.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
marcusgibbon
Binge Watcher

Danny, 

Do you now have enough information to get this fixed ?

It seems you have received more than enough examples. There is clearly a software issue. 

Please let un know a timeline for the fix. I am willing to wait 3 more weeks, then I will be seeking a refund as my TV is less than 12 months old. 

Thx  

0 Kudos
GrillMouster
Reel Rookie

I had this problem a few months ago with brightness or backlighting being full or brighter than my settings and action smoothing appearing to be acting despite my having turned it off in the settings. It happened with the update to version 9.3.0 build 4182 on my TCL 65r615 Roku TV. Sometimes it would go away after a reboot, a full restart, or a factory reset of just the picture and audio settings. However, it always came back. The only thing that fixed it was a full factory reset.

The problem has returned again a few weeks ago after the update to 9.3.0 build 4194. I'm in the process of doing another full factory reset. Am I going to have to do this after every update?!?!? It's annoying having  to log back into every app, re-do all my settings and calibrations.

0 Kudos
brdcst507
Reel Rookie

@RokuDanny-R 

Hi Danny, Just wanted to see what the status of this fix is. I have to return my TV to Best Buy by Tuesday to get a full refund. It would be nice to not have to return it at all, but I have to know if the problem will be fixed within the next day. Thanks for your understanding, and I look forward to your response!

Best,

Nicky

0 Kudos