Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ElBobbo
Channel Surfer

Re: Motion Smoothing Issues on new TCL

Ok guys! Official word from TCL as of:

Agent Response By Email (Zeus A) (07/29/2020 02:32 PM)
Hi Rob,

Our apologies if your TV's picture quality and settings seems to be affected by the recent software update. Rest assured that your concern will be handled accordingly.

Please follow the steps and observe if the issue will be resolved after performing each step.

1.     Power reset the TV using the steps below:
       a.      Turn the TV off and unplug it from its power outlet.
       b.      Press and hold the power button on the lower right side of the TV for 15 seconds.
       c.      Re-plug the TV to the outlet and turn it on.
2.     Perform a reset to the audio and picture settings. 
       a.      Select Settings on the Home screen
       b.      Select System.
       c.      Select Advanced System Settings.
       d.      Select Factory Reset.
       e.      Select Reset audio and picture settings.
       f.      Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the reset.
       g.      Check if the problem still persists.
3.     Perform a factory reset. Please note that this puts your TV to its factory default settings.
       a.      Select Settings on the Home screen
       b.      Select System.
       c.      Select Advanced System Settings.
       d.      Select Factory Reset.
       e.      Select Factory Reset Everything.
       f.       Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the reset.
       g.      Complete the initial setup and re-link it to your Roku account in case you have access to it before.

Should the issue will not be resolved, may we ask you to answer the following questions for failure analysis.

1.    May we ask the system information on the TV. To access the system information, please follow the steps below:
   a.      Select Settings on the Home screen.
   b.      Select System.
   c.      Select About.
   d.      Press OK to display the system information screen.
   e.      Gather the following information below if you cannot attach a picture:
       i.       software version and build number
       ii.      serial number
       iii.     device ID.
2.    Does the issue happen on regular inputs (Antenna, AV, HDMI 1/2/3) or streaming channels?
3.    The TV's Tracker ID by pressing the Home button five times followed by the Go back button five times. 
4.     Full-screen photo of the TV indicating the issue.

Thank you.

Zeus A.
Customer Support Team
TCL North America
|w: tclusa.com |t: @Tcl_USA

Hopefully they are actually going to remedy this with Roku. We shall see.

NeonPhantom
Channel Surfer

I received almost the exact same email ... I completed the steps and for a few days the problem was rectified, sadly it reverted back to the same problem, and its constantly on again. 

HOPEFULLY, AN UPDATE IS COMING SOON!! 

Quickly approaching the point where I want to just return the tv and go back to my usual Samsung TV purchase.

0 Kudos
Pintweaks
Binge Watcher

Just adding yet another voice to the thread - same issue here with my 75R617 (2019 6 Series). Bought the TV at the beginning of July and just noticed the smoothing about 7-10 days ago. I’m extremely sensitive to the smoothing effect, so I notice even the smallest amount. All my smoothing settings are set to “OFF”. It seemingly happens randomly, as well. Most of the time, it’s off, but sometimes it turns itself on (without actually showing that it’s on in settings), regardless of the source. Sometimes it’s my Xbox, sometimes in the Roku YouTube or Netflix apps. Totally random. Very frustrating.

I hate the idea of having to do a factory reset every time this occurs, not only because it’s a tedious process, but because I have very specific white balance settings, which takes several minutes to set up. 

ImYoungxD
Reel Rookie

No need to factory reset. I fix this easily by unplugging the power cable for 10 seconds then plug it back in. Everything works fine until it happens again.

mctrn
Binge Watcher

Having this issue and this works. Extremely annoying 

0 Kudos
Undead
Reel Rookie

Just FYI because this worked for me. I was having this issue every time I turned my tv on, and had to do a factory reset to fix it. This was getting crazy, so instead I just tried the reboot option in the tv’s system menu and that fixed it. It’s been fine ever since. But I’d try using that option to reboot the tv, because it’s a much simpler fix. 

0 Kudos
almmoe66
Reel Rookie

I had the same issue just start after my power went out. I unplugged it like mentioned above then waited a minute before plugging it back in. Seems to have fixed it for now. 🤞

0 Kudos
plantbasedgamer
Binge Watcher

Do we know when Roku / TCL is going to push out an update to fix this issue? 

I have the 65R617 and this keeps occurring. I've already tried:

1. Resetting the cache.
  2. Restarting the television from Settings > Power. 
  3. Unplugging the television and waiting a period of time.
  4. Doing a reset of picture quality settings. 
  5. Doing a factory reset.

... and the issue keeps on returning. It's getting frustrating having to restart the television every time I want to watch something. 

0 Kudos
Doofus
Reel Rookie

Unplugging or resetting pictures settings seemed to help temporarily for me.  But the issue returned after a little while. Here's what worked for me.

I factory reset the TV (55R615) but did not setup an internet connection. This prevents the set from downloading any updates.  There doesn't seem to be a way to stop it downloading updates automatically when the internet is configured. 

Did this 6 days ago and motion smoothing has not returned yet.

This method does limit the built in smart TV features but I already have a Firestick 4k that gives me access to all my services.

I'd rather limit the TV's in built features and use the Firestick for my streaming needs than have to live with unwanted motion smoothing that will not go away permanently.

0 Kudos
plantbasedgamer
Binge Watcher

My TV just received the 9.3.0.4194 update.

Just updated the set. Jumped through different inputs, streaming, turned the set off normally, and did it all again. It seems the action smoothing issue may have been resolved, but it’s hard to say just yet.

0 Kudos