Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
garyn88

Re: Motion Smoothing Issues on new TCL

Ran into the same issue. It started happening on July 9th. The 9.3 update said it happened on June 24th.

I was fortunately able to fix it by doing a full system reset.

snowman77
Reel Rookie

Ditto on same model. Restarting the tv seems to work but I saw it try to happen again while watching Prime but it reverted back to how it looks like without Action Smoothing on. I hope a revision fixes this. Glad I’m not crazy, too!

AC3
Channel Surfer

Having the exact same issue on 615 series 65 inch.  Action smoothing effect turns on any time I change the input.  It's not turned on in the settings themselves so it's impossible to turn off.  Only turns off with a system restart.  I will probably factory reset it now and try to stick with the stock software until there is a fix.

AC3
Channel Surfer

So the factory reset did the trick.  Question for anyone else who has tried that: If you update to the latest version of the software again, does the same bug occur again?

dkirby
Reel Rookie

I did a TV audio and picture reset (not the full factory reset) and it didn't help.  Has anyone else had any luck getting it "corrected?"  

ElBobbo
Channel Surfer

I’m glad I’m not going crazy! I keep trying to get the motion smoothing all the way off, but it seems the default is a low level smoothing that is only blatantly obvious on camera moves. 

it also resets my game mode so my input lag is horrendous from the PlayStation. 

My solution so far has been unplugging the set, waiting 30 seconds and picking the input or app I desire to work correctly. That option will work then if I switch, motion smoothing is back on and game mode is turned off even though it is on in the settings. Highly frustrating. I don’t want to factory reset because of signing in to all the apps, but it seems that will be the fix until they release a new SWUpdate. 

Anybody have any other advice? 

Coltlair

So ive only noticed a motion issue with bluray on ps4. When u start your disc  hitt option button. Go all the way to the right for settings and turn off 1080p at 24hrz setting. Made my picture much more clear

jdeprey
Channel Surfer

I found this post because I am having the same issue on my 75R615 6 series. 

It is driving me nuts! I can easily go in to options and turn smoothing setting off and always have had them off because I can not stand the effect. But a week or so ago I started to see the effect and it does not matter what I do, I can change profiles and I still have it.

Today I actually tried turning on Game Mode and that seems to have fixed it, maybe because it is trying to reduce delay as much as possible it has to bypass all this processing, but I am not sure what other negative issue this may cause.

For now I am turning on Game Mode on all inputs and also Netflix that I also noticed it on and do some more testing, I think this seems to solve it but have not had time to look more.

Doofus
Reel Rookie

Just bought a 55R615 a week ago. The set auto updated when  I installed it and connected to wifi. It was fine til 2 days ago. Then I get constant Soap Opera Effect despite having Action Smoothing switched off. Only way to fix it was to unplug. BUT it comes back when I watch a HD stream on Cineplex, Netflix or Amazon Movies. Curiously, this bug manifested AFTER I downloaded the Dolby app from the Roku store. Not sure if HDR content somehow triggers this bug,

Turning Game mode on does not fix for me.

I don't want to keep unplugging it. SO annoying. Hope they release a fix.

AC3
Channel Surfer

It seems that the latest update to the Roku software is causing this bug.  Doing a full factory reset solved the issue for me, so it may work for you.  Though the downside (?) is that I'm on the original stock version of the software.  Do folks have a sense for whether the updates from stock version have any effect on picture quality?  I know that the picture settings menu changed, but I'm not immediately noticing any quality differences.  I don't use the smart features of the tv at all, so I don't really care about any updates to those.  Just wondering whether I'm missing out on picture quality improvements by reverting the software.

Hopefully Roku fixes this bug soon.  I'm kind of surprised that I'm not seeing more online about this issue.  It's a major problem.