Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
retro
Binge Watcher

Motion Smoothing Issues on new TCL

Hello, 

I recently purchased a TCL-75617. I'm a bit of purist and do not like motion smoothing/frame interpolation when watching films. Despite turning all of these features off, there is still some motion smoothing going on. It's noticeable on certain camera moves. (ie, dollies and pans)

Here are my settings: 

ACTION SMOOTHING: OFF

ACTION CLARITY: OFF

LED MOTION CLARITY: OFF

ROKU OS version: 9.2.0.4502

I've also done a system reset (twice) but that did not solve the problem. Is there something I'm missing or is this a software issue with Roku?

Thanks

317 REPLIES 317
TarbLamoe
Reel Rookie

Re: Motion Smoothing Issues on new TCL

Hi! I'm experiencing the same issue with my 65" 8 Series. Did you ever figure it out?

retro
Binge Watcher

Unfortunately I have not. It seems to be more prevalent on the HDR settings. I also tried to turn off the noise reduction settings but it had no affect. I've pretty much shut off all artificial picture settings but there's still some minor motion smoothing. 

TarbLamoe
Reel Rookie

Ahhh, I see. Thanks for your reply! I was able to get rid of it by watching something through my PS4 on HDMI-1 by enabling Game Mode, but obviously the streaming quality wasn't as good as through the Roku apps, which don't have the Game Mode option. I think I'm going to try buying an Apple TV 4K streaming box, as the quality apparently is very high, but you can enable a Frame Rate Match, which sets the TV's refresh rate to match that of the content, including 24f, which I think will get rid of the slight smoothing. I'll let you know how that goes.

retro
Binge Watcher

I actually started using an Apple TV myself, but it doesn’t seem to make a difference with HDR material. The TV still applies some motion smoothing to it
pcpumpkin

Same 2018 6 series problem.  Super annoying

I bought the TV last week and my action smoothing settings do not do anything. I still get soap opera effect after turning it off. Weird thing is once and a while/randomly it does turn off, but my screen looks darker.  

Has anyone been able to figure out how to turn off action smoothing.  I happens on all my inputs including Nvidia Shield TV 2019.

Alec1
Reel Rookie

I’m having the same problem, purchased in a 55R615 in Dec. 2018. No motion smoothing is ever on and I mostly use a Fire Stick after the last Roku update.

It appeared to stop when I turned off motion smoothing in other Roku channels not tied to any specific input (like those settings were being applied across all inputs). But the next day, it came back.

Clearly this issue is new and we’re all experiencing it. Is anyone still under warranty who has gotten a response from Roku?

retro
Binge Watcher

After upgrading to ROKU OS 9.3 I was also having the same issues you guys are having. (which is slightly different but more apparent than the problems I was having at the top of my thread)

After doing a full system reset it seemed to get rid of the major issues. However, I'm still having some minor frame interpolation problems on HDR content. 

jbaruch76

Having the same issue. Very frustrating.

sapmaskey

I am having this on my TCL 55R617 (Costco variant for R617) since a few days. I think this is with the new 9.3 bug. I reached out to Roku but they asked me to reach out to TCL which is frustrating. Any help would be appreciated.