Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fkrku
Reel Rookie

Missing TV antenna icon???????

Jump to solution

I've tried to find a solution to this on the forum and by contacting customer service. 

I have a second hand Samsung smart roku TV. I did a factory reset and set up an account. I also own a hisense roku TV. I have the hisense in the living room and the Samsung in the dining room. Both are connected to coax cable. But the Samsung doesn't have an antennae icon. So I can't use the cable. The wifi works and I can use every feature on the TV, but I can't use the cable on the Samsung. 

No, it's not a roku box. It's a smart TV. I checked settings for the option to add the icon, and it isn't there. 

Customer service told me to call my cable provider. I told them that made no sense, but called anyway. CS also told me to check the cable on another tv which I already had done, but that's not why the icon is missing anyway, so either they don't understand my problem or they don't know what they are talking about. 

Is there a solution?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Missing TV antenna icon???????

Jump to solution

I've never heard of a Samsung Roku TV.  Do you have a model number for it?  I'm guessing you really mean a Samsung Smart TV that happens to have a "roku channel" app.  If so, that's really a different thing and expecting specific Roku OS features to appear on it is going to cause confusion.

As best as I can remember, on my parent's Samsung Smart TV, after you use any streaming stuff, you EXIT from the streaming services menu (which I think they call something like "the hub") which takes you "back" to "normal TV".  It's a different mental model than the streaming-centric model of the ROKU OS.

If you have a model number, we should be able to find a manual.

Was it Samsung CS that sent you to the cable company?  I had to call them once for my parents and they were really good.  It was one of the few cases where the CSR didn’t want to end the call until she was sure that everything was fixed to our satisfaction.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I've never heard of a Samsung Roku TV.  Do you have a model number for it?  I'm guessing you really mean a Samsung Smart TV that happens to have a "roku channel" app.  If so, that's really a different thing and expecting specific Roku OS features to appear on it is going to cause confusion.

As best as I can remember, on my parent's Samsung Smart TV, after you use any streaming stuff, you EXIT from the streaming services menu (which I think they call something like "the hub") which takes you "back" to "normal TV".  It's a different mental model than the streaming-centric model of the ROKU OS.

If you have a model number, we should be able to find a manual.

Was it Samsung CS that sent you to the cable company?  I had to call them once for my parents and they were really good.  It was one of the few cases where the CSR didn’t want to end the call until she was sure that everything was fixed to our satisfaction.

Fkrku
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Interesting. So if that's the case I can maybe voice command the roku app to close? Then use a universal remote to control the Samsung?

0 Kudos
aknight53

Jump to solution

I also have a problem as of 2 days ago. My Direct TV is connected to a second TV with coaxial cable. In the past, I was able to view my channels via my Roku TV under Live TV. Now my Live TV has only Roku streaming channels. When I go to settings, live Tv, antenna and search for channels, none can be found. Any ideas?

Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

OK, I think you are talking about a Satellite Receiver plugged into a Roku TV – right? 

Are you sure it is connected via a coaxial cable?  That would be an extremely suboptimal way as satellite companies have been broadcasting HD and have had HDMI connectors on their receivers for a very long time now. (Wikipedia says HD since 2003).

Even if it used to be plugged in via a coax cable, I would suggest adding and HDMI cable instead.

Once it is connected via HDMI, you just select the appropriate input on the TV.

I’m not sure about this since you talk about both a “second TV” and a “Roku TV”. Perhaps you were using the DirecTV stream app on your Roku TV???

0 Kudos
Stephkakay

Jump to solution

Disconnect your wifi then do a Factory reset. Simple. Once you have restart, follow the prompts to rescan. Reconnect wifi and local channels will be listed.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos