C_I
Level 12

Re: Smart Sound Bar

Short answer-yes-  it's more dependable than DSL or dial up Internet. 

0 Kudos
mikeng
Level 8

What is dial up?

if you live by yourself. It might me ok. Streaming 4k contents  over wifi. Then you have two or three other people streaming on another tv or phone. Then try to have your zoom meetings. Couple that with congestion hours. Then you got all your other IoT. 

0 Kudos
C_I
Level 12

@mikeng wrote:

What is dial up?

if you live by yourself. It might me ok. Streaming 4k contents  over wifi. Then you have two or three other people streaming on another tv or phone. Then try to have your zoom meetings. Couple that with congestion hours. Then you got all your other IoT. 

Dial Up Internet is Internet that is hooked directly up to your landline. It's very slow. And you don't have to stream 4K content.  And the congestion hours for WIFi Is a lot less than on DSL or dial up. And it's not bad if you are on a private WiFI then it wouldn't be much of an issue. But if you are streaming from a public WiFi network, it would be more of an issue. 

0 Kudos
junkboxx
Level 9

The reason we need ethernet? Not being mean... but its many places on this forum that ethernet is many many many many many times faster than Wifi. Wifi 50Mb or ethernet 400 Mb? Ethernet will not get interference, like Wifi can. Wifi can also become unstable, in some cases and carriers/providers. Ethernet is THE obvious choice. The modern way is not best, such as MP3 vs uncrunched WAV files, VHS VCR's or the much better quality of BETA VCR's, which TV stations used into the early 2000's. Point being, ethernet (wired) is the best way to go.

0 Kudos
C_I
Level 12

@junkboxx wrote:

The reason we need ethernet? Not being mean... but its many places on this forum that ethernet is many many many many many times faster than Wifi. Wifi 50Mb or ethernet 400 Mb? Ethernet will not get interference, like Wifi can. Wifi can also become unstable, in some cases and carriers/providers. Ethernet is THE obvious choice. The modern way is not best, such as MP3 vs uncrunched WAV files, VHS VCR's or the much better quality of BETA VCR's, which TV stations used into the early 2000's. Point being, ethernet (wired) is the best way to go.

Incidentally, my WiFi has a network band of 2.4 GHZ and my link speed is 54/54 Mbps. So your info on the speed of WiFi is way outdated. 

0 Kudos
junkboxx
Level 9

Mbps, is what I was talking about. As for GHz, that's the dial frequencies. Mistyped IS NOT being out of date. In your case, 54 Mbps or 400 ethernet. 400 easily wins. See how limited WiFi is? And ALL wireless frequencies get interference, meaning ANY GHz.

0 Kudos
C_I
Level 12

@junkboxx wrote:

Mbps, is what I was talking about. As for GHz, that's the dial frequencies. Mistyped IS NOT being out of date. In your case, 54 Mbps or 400 ethernet. 400 easily wins. See how limited WiFi is? And ALL wireless frequencies get interference, meaning ANY GHz.

However, WiFi  frequencies don't get as much interference as older technology such as cable Internet or DSL Internet., and are more reliable than older technologies.And even if Ethernet is 400 Mbps, the connection is unreliable and users will be offline more than they are online.Regardless of how much faster Ethernet may or may not be. And if you've never used DSL, Cable or Dial Up Internet you really don't know about slow Internet speed.  And the other thing- if you have a smart phone connected to a 4G or a 5G(just coming out) network, it's reliable.  And since there are different plans with faster Internet speeds, you can up your Internet plan for faster Internet speeds if you don't want slow ones. 

0 Kudos
junkboxx
Level 9

Think what you wanna think. I know we hook up servers with ethernet. We never see ethernet as unreliable. Not sure where you get your info from. Maybe you use cat 4 cords?

0 Kudos
rowkoo1234
Level 9

@C_I 

It sounds to me like you're equating cable internet access (WAN, to the outside world) with wired Ethernet (LAN, staying inside the house). My wired Ethernet stays up as long as I have power, regardless of whether the cable internet provider goes down. In any event, access to the internet is not what we're talking about - we're talking about hooking the soundbar into our local wired net, which (for some of us) have our own servers.

My wireless net has an Echo Dot and a Harmony remote Hub that are constantly knocking each other off the net. Even when I'm not using it, the light on the Harmony goes red for no reason (no network connection) and the Dot can't stream for more than a couple of minutes before it drops and the Hub goes red. BOTH of these devices are right next to the TV where there's Ethernet for my Roku Ultra. They both have to be plugged into the wall for power, so it's not like I carry them around. THEY BOTH NEED ETHERNET JACKS and NEITHER OF THEM HAS ONE! Both of them would work so much better if they weren't wireless. This isn't to mention my DirecTV server which is its own wireless access point that CAN'T BE SHUT OFF and is as bright as a lighthouse! I literally had to wrap it in aluminum foil so that my wife's work laptop wouldn't keep being kicked of the wireless. I eventually had to run a cable to her laptop so that it would - wait for it - work reliably!

Leave the wireless networks for devices that move: my kids' tablets, my & my wife's phones, our laptops, etc. There's enough stuff chewing up the wireless bandwidth that we don't need to add stationary devices to it as well.

And by the way, my wired Ethernet is 1 Gb, so yeah, even 100Mb wireless doesn't have as much bandwidth.

In short, I'm willing to pay the extra 5 cents it takes for them to add the port. Shoot, I'd even pay an extra dollar. (To be honest, I'd pay an extra $10.)

0 Kudos
junkboxx
Level 9

you win. I have no idea of what I' m talking about. You are going off topic. We explained and you do not like the answer. Discussion over.

0 Kudos