Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Micro SD on TCL Roku TV

I wanted to buy a 2016 43" TCL Roku TV but the Roku TVs do not have a micro SD slot for additional storage. I wont spend hundreds of dollars on a tv set and then need additional storage space and have no way to add it.
iwantobejohndoe

Roku Premiere+, TCL 40" Dumb TV, Vizio Soundbar, Xfinity Cable TV & Internet, Cheap RCA Universal Remote.

All you need is a positive mental attitude.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
atc98092
Level 15

Re: Micro SD on TCL Roku TV

Not sure what you think the SD card does on a Roku. It is only there to store channels after you reach a certain number (or memory used). They do nothing else. However, on a TV you can plug in a USB stick or hard drive with at least 16 GB of storage and pause live TV. 

The SD card does nothing to enhance the performance of a Roku other than loading a channel faster if you have too many to store.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos

I know what the SD card does. I had a Roku 3 with a lot of channels installed and needed the micro sd card to load the channels faster. Loading channels faster when you have a lot of channels installed is improved performance that a TV set costing hundreds of dollars should have. If people want that improved performance when they have a lot of channels on the premiere plus and ultra boxes then why wouldnt they want it on an integrated TV set? I want the improved performance of channels loading faster and so i wiil not buy a Roku TV set unless it has the micro sd capability. You do whatever works for you.
iwantobejohndoe

Roku Premiere+, TCL 40" Dumb TV, Vizio Soundbar, Xfinity Cable TV & Internet, Cheap RCA Universal Remote.

0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

Are you sure the new TVs don't just include more on board storage, to alleviate this?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos

"jeffrok" wrote:
Are you sure the new TVs don't just include more on board storage, to alleviate this?

I have resrarched this and havnt come up with any information on it except a TCL rep telling someone they cant answer how much storage their Roku TVs have but that Roku products dont need as much storage as competing products. That gave me the impression that TCL Roku TVs dont have any more on board storage than Roku boxes. If that is the case then I definately want a micro sd slot on the TV
iwantobejohndoe

0 Kudos
Daniel454
Level 7

I have a 2016 TCL Roku 4K TV and so far, haven't had any issues with it having to reload channels...

We don't have the fastest internet. It didn't take me long at all to get really annoyed when our then Roku 3s had to reload a channel we had not viewed in a while. Some of them are fairly large and could delay opening the channel by as much as 1-2 mins... I know that's not a HUGE amount of time but SD cards are also insanely cheap as well so since that day I have always loaded one in every Roku we have purchased.

I too was quite surprised when the TCL TV had no slot for it, bit happy to say, in almost a year of use, I have not seen it have to reload a single channel.

SO it DOES appear it comes with more memory to store channels, how much more, I cant say, no guarantee you wont still run into limitations / reloads but for us, its been a non issue.
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

Glad to hear, was wondering the same thing.

According to the Wikipedia Roku chart:

The Streaming Stick and the previous Roku 1/2/3 (and even older LT/HD/XD/XS) boxes all have only 256MB built-in channel storage. As do the new low-end Express/+ models.

Whereas the Roku 4 and the new Premiere/+ boxes have 512MB channel storage.

The new high-end Ultra is the only box that has 1GB onboard channel storage.

Do we think the 2016 Roku 4K TV's might have 512 or 1 GB? What about the upcoming 2017 Roku HDR (Dolby Vision) TV's?
0 Kudos

I'm just not willing to chance it. I got a Premiere+ and micro sd card. I will just keep using a dumb tv and Roku box. Thats probably for the best anyway in case hardware on the Roku TVs become obsolete too quickly. I am glad the Mohu Airwave antenna is coming out soon so there will be a low cost way to watch local channels through the Roku interface.
iwantobejohndoe

0 Kudos
Soapstone
Level 7

i just got a 55" 4k hdr tcl roku tv, was on sale at costco for $370, and it definitely needs something like a micro sd port. i have run youtube and some others where it has loaded it up, even though i had used it recently, but used a different app/channel before using the using it on the occasion. i have about 79 channels, so i don't know if that is a lot or a little, but definitely needs to be patched to allow the usb slot to be used as additional storage as well as using for the live tv pause feature.
0 Kudos
emmiedse
Level 7

I recently bought a TCL 55S405 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku Smart LED TV (2017 Model. I can’t load any channels except for Hulu. I deleted down to only 4 channels, but still get this error message says: “Failed to launch Netflix because there is not enough space. Please remove one or more installed channels and try again.” I only have Hulu, Netflix, HBO Now, and CBS All Access. Only Hulu will load. Incredibly frustrating considering I can’t add more space without a micro SD. Unless someone knows of a solution?

Currently, I’m using a Roku box for my Roku TV, which is pretty ridiculous but at least I can actually load channels.
0 Kudos