Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nickrep
Level 9

Re: Major gaming lag after update

Wow! Your solution worked for me! This started out of nowhere. Switched out of Dolby digital, and no more lag! I wonder why this started to happen all of a sudden.

SteveJaye
Level 8

Nice I'm glad it worked for someone! I noticed it happening while I was setting up my sound system with my tv. It's almost like the tv processor can't handle decoding some digital audio. 

nickrep
Level 9

What is strange is this started happening last night. I have been using Dolby digital for a while without any issues. Switching to game mode fixes it as well. it Looks like new audio settings were added recently, so not sure if this caused some sort of issue. Auto detect fixes the problem, but it does not recognize my 5.1 setup so I am forced to use Dolby digital. I posted the issue here https://community.roku.com/t5/Discussions/Ps4-Input-Lag-When-Dolby-Digital-Selected/m-p/576743#M1134

0 Kudos
imeggman
Level 9

I woke up today to this exact problem.  I had gamed a bit before bed, no problem.  I wake up, accidentally spill a little coffee on my controller.  Clean it up, start up PS4, MASSIVE lag.  After some digging, I came across this thread and went and check my TV's system settings.  It had updated not long after I went to bed, so I tried both the audio setting suggestion (I'm normally on auto-detect, but I swapped over to DD and back) and turning on game mode and we're back in business.

I actually normally don't use gaming mode-the difference seems to be very marginal for me.  

Not sure which worked, but it was definitely related to the TV and not the coffee, any of the 3 controllers, coffee, wifi channel, PS4 settings, etc.  It was the TV.  

0 Kudos
nickrep
Level 9

awesome! Thought I was going crazy. Would you mind posting this in the link above? I would like my other pair to gain traction so hopefully it gets fixed! Thanks!

0 Kudos
SteveJaye
Level 8

Done. I got this tv back in November and it's always had this weird audio lag issue. Switching it to auto and back to Dolby would always fix it.

0 Kudos
imeggman
Level 9

Ok, follow up-things have gotten worse.  Going to start a new thread about it because now there are new problems.

nickrep
Level 9

Good idea. Things aren’t going well. Feel free to share the link to the new post and I will comment on it.

0 Kudos
Doctorcool
Level 8

Yea I’m having the same issue. Absolutely running perfect yesterday (call of duty) then today was abysmal. I tried the suggested ideas and it did seem to help but honestly either I’m hyper aware of some lag that is still there or it is still worse than before the update. Really hope TCL figures this out...  

0 Kudos
csantarlas
Level 8

You're not imagining it, the same happens to me. What I've figured out is that after the update, something went wrong with how the game mode turns on. You can turn it off and on and it will get better when it's on, but you are correct, often there is still a small amount of lag. I've figured out if you switch back and forth between game mode on and off enough times - testing reactivity of the controller at the Xbox/ps4 home screen each time you turn game mode on - eventually everything will trigger correctly and there is no lag. Another option  is switching to a different input and back or turning on Netflix and then going back to your xbox/ps4 input. It's annoying, and I wish roku/tcl would fix, but at least by taking 60 seconds or so to do this I can game with no lag.

0 Kudos