Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Popcornguzzler
Level 7

Re: Low Volume Levels on All Outputs - TCL TVs with Roku Interface

I have the same problem on my TCL 65 inch (model 7133X)

I get low output whether I'm in antenna or streaming apps. It's low on the TV speakers, and it's low if I'm outputting to stereo via SPDIF. Oddly enough, I find that when I change "volume mode" from "none" to "levelling" or "night mode" it gets much louder, where as I would think it would be the opposite of anything. Also "night mode" and "levelling" are exactly the same in terms of sound. I wonder if these modes are somehow the problem. Is there not intended to be some type of user selected level for "levelling" ? The description on screen reads that it sets a threshold, and I saw someone else on this forum refer to "the number I set for levelling" 

0 Kudos
AngelWyngs
Level 8

I haven't had any problems with low volume lately. I am using internal speakers on my 65 inch 5 series. One thing that does increase the volume, is setting the Volume Mode to Leveling or Night instead of Off. Also in Sound Mode: Theater is slightly louder than Normal.

therd3
Level 8

Very in depth information and you have the same problem as me and everyone else. 

Hisense is the tv I bought 2 months ago and I didn't say e the receipt to return or I would have.

Roku is sticking their head in the sand, there must be no fix.

I'm going on every place I can leave a review and give zero Stars if possible so nobody else gets taken!

Fix it Roku

0 Kudos
therd3
Level 8

You know what the problem is Roku everybody's telling you and you're not doing anything!

0 Kudos
adamaus
Level 7

Just as a point of reference, I have 2 Bose systems, 2 Logitech Z906 systems, Xbox One OG, Xbox One S, all suffer from the same issue of low volume when using the DTS/DD5.1 encoding via optical either hdmi pass through, arc, or direct. I believe the issue is with the encoding itself, rather than the hardware. The bose allows you to increase the volume for inputs, and it fixes the issue, when playing audio via the optical from a pc with an optical output, 5.1 and DTS encoded files are half the volume than that of PCM (stereo uncompressed) via the same cable and connections. If your looking to spend even more money for a problem that will never be fixed... you'll probably want one of these (pictured), it will be quicker... if you can find one.

https://streamable.com/wda6y4 Xbox Bluray Ultra HD/R

https://streamable.com/h6zmy1 the above recording, replayed on pc via analogue audio to give volume references of the Logitech System.

What Roku and indeed TCL need to look at, is modifying the audio side of their optical output, you can change between encoded, PCM outputs for the TV, but I think it could be taken further, allowing the user to adjust the volume of the channels as well, independently (sub/Centre/Rear), the Logitech both the bose and the Logitech have had this feature for many years now, before TCL was a thing. One thing about the audio on the TCL tvs in regards to YouTube, YouTube stubbornly only plays 2.0 sound even in WebM format from music.google.com (premium service unless you use firefox and adblock ;-), Google right? You are the product, but their products are the problem. https://i.imgur.com/NkPpNuy.jpg Pixel 4 charge cable that came in the box.. can't even use a normal PC USB to transfer files, also their chrome-cast ultra uses the MicroB USB connector.. the ones that break and only go in 1 way. One step forward, 2 steps back

Having said all that.. connecting a toslink plug nope nope nope nope nope nope yeanope nope nope...

Toslink.. the reason we have swearwords.

1rduBVM

0 Kudos
Cma
Level 7

I, too, am having this issue. I’ve done the Audio switch to PCdM or whatever and it is still really low. My tv has worked for 8 mos until 2 nights ago The sound just stopped - regardless of what I was watching. Now after restart, I have no “options/*” button and cannot adjust audio leveling or anything. It’s driving me nuts!

0 Kudos
AngelWyngs
Level 8

I would do a system reset

0 Kudos
Dayspring
Level 7

I had to do a factory reset and then it worked just fine. Had the TV for a week before this happened. Stupidly I cut up the box so now I’m worried I’m screwed. This issue needs to be addressed. I don’t want to have to set up the TV every time this happens and re-enter all my app usernames each time. I’ll be calling tomorrow and better have some reassurance from someone. Brand new TV and this should NOT be happening. 

0 Kudos
Nishbot
Level 8

I’ve at least narrowed this down. For Roku, if you’re listening, here’s the symptom: you set the volume to a respectable level and everything is fine if the volume of the scene is normal or low (a conversation, a dinner, etc). But as it turns into an action scene full of loud noises and explosions, the volume drastically drops and you can’t hear any dialogue. You have to push the volume to near 100 to even hear anything and it’s still no good.

What’s happening here is there is some auto-leveling of audio that’s happening on the TV side that’s affecting the TV speaker and any soundbar connected to it. I don’t know if it’s a Roku problem or a TCL problem, but I bet someone in manufacturing knew they were putting in **bleep** speakers from the get-go, and to prevent a high incidence of RMAs, they programmed the firmware that any high audio level is compressed to prevent damage to the speakers. 

Understandable, but the only problem is that code in the firmware is also applying at any soundbar connected via ARC.

Either Roku or TCL need to work together to get this fixed.

0 Kudos
Agentb
Level 8

I’m convinced it’s a TCL issue as my Hisense Roku TV works great.

0 Kudos