Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
antdude
Level 7

Losing *.1 OTA antenna channels in TCL HDTV (28S305).

I don't know if this is the suitable forum to ask, but  TCL HDTV (28S305) is a Roku TV.

Today, the few weeks old TCL HDTV (28S305 model with its (lat/new)est v8.2.0 b4170-48) was missing a few over the air (OTA) antenna *.1 channels like (2.1, 4.1, 5.1, 7.1, 9.1, etc. when their signals are OK) in both guide and channel surfing. Checking the settings to see if they were accidently hidden, but nope. I did manage to fix it temporarily if I toggle hidden and show in its channel list settings, but the issue return if I turn off and on TV (not using fast power on feature). I also tried made the TV reboot via its system option. Does anyone know what's up? Is it a bug?

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering. Smiley Happy

Ant @ http://aqfl.net, http://antfarm.home.dhs.org, & http://antfarm.ma.cx.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Losing *.1 OTA antenna channels in TCL HDTV (28S305).

I think it's a bug. I have a similar issue with my Sharp TV, and the only way to get all the channels to appear is to disable the Favorites function. You can find that setting in Settings/TV Inputs/Antenna TV/Favorite Channels. Just disable favorites and you will probably see all your channels again. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
antdude
Level 7

Re: Losing *.1 OTA antenna channels in TCL HDTV (28S305).

"atc98092" wrote:
I think it's a bug. I have a similar issue with my Sharp TV, and the only way to get all the channels to appear is to disable the Favorites function. You can find that setting in Settings/TV Inputs/Antenna TV/Favorite Channels. Just disable favorites and you will probably see all your channels again. 

Favorites aren't even used. Only hiding channels are used (not the *.1 ones I listed in my original post). :/
Ant @ http://aqfl.net, http://antfarm.home.dhs.org, & http://antfarm.ma.cx.
0 Kudos
antdude
Level 7

Re: Losing *.1 OTA antenna channels in TCL HDTV (28S305).

I also tried more experiments. I did many rescans, but each rescan lost some and got some channels. I know some channels are not strong due to my rural location, but it shouldn't be losing channels I had. I did notice manual rescan reset the channel list including which ones are shown and hidden. Does this HDTV model rescan automatically in the background too? Physically powering off and on with its power AC didn't help. Maybe I should try a factory reset later to see if that helps, but reconfiguring it is annoying!
Ant @ http://aqfl.net, http://antfarm.home.dhs.org, & http://antfarm.ma.cx.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
martinlf
Level 7

Re: Losing *.1 OTA antenna channels in TCL HDTV (28S305).

I am having a similar problem with my TCL HDTV (43S325).  The channels are there, and when I go into the settings I can see them, but the remote (or TV itself) skips over channels in a random way.  I'll get Channel 8, 21, and 27, then when I go back down, Channel 21 will be missing.  Then a few more clicks up and down and it will return.  This really irritates me.  The TV is about one month old.  If this continues it's going back.  This is, by the way, using an antenna.  It's not the signal, though.  
0 Kudos
martinlf
Level 7

Re: Losing *.1 OTA antenna channels in TCL HDTV (28S305).

OK, following up. It was the favorites option.  My daughter and her kids were here today, and they must somehow have set favorite channels.  I disabled favorites and am back to where I expected to be.  The TV is relatively new for us, and I certainly haven't figured out all of its commands.  In fact, I don't know how to set favorites if I reenabled "favorites" and tried to set them.  
0 Kudos
antdude
Level 7

Re: Losing *.1 OTA antenna channels in TCL HDTV (28S305).

"martinlf" wrote:
OK, following up. It was the favorites option.  My daughter and her kids were here today, and they must somehow have set favorite channels.  I disabled favorites and am back to where I expected to be.  The TV is relatively new for us, and I certainly haven't figured out all of its commands.  In fact, I don't know how to set favorites if I reenabled "favorites" and tried to set them.  

From what I read, Favorites are set automatically from your TV channel viewing patterns. You can't add them.
Ant @ http://aqfl.net, http://antfarm.home.dhs.org, & http://antfarm.ma.cx.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Losing *.1 OTA antenna channels in TCL HDTV (28S305).

"antdude" wrote:
"martinlf" wrote:
OK, following up. It was the favorites option.  My daughter and her kids were here today, and they must somehow have set favorite channels.  I disabled favorites and am back to where I expected to be.  The TV is relatively new for us, and I certainly haven't figured out all of its commands.  In fact, I don't know how to set favorites if I reenabled "favorites" and tried to set them.  

From what I read, Favorites are set automatically from your TV channel viewing patterns. You can't add them.

Correct. Favorites are determined by the software based on what you've watched. Many users have complained about it, as it didn't used to be that way. A user used to be able to designate an OTA channel as a favorite. Taking that away was stupid. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
antdude
Level 7

Re: Losing *.1 OTA antenna channels in TCL HDTV (28S305).

"atc98092" wrote:
"antdude" wrote:
"martinlf" wrote:
OK, following up. It was the favorites option.  My daughter and her kids were here today, and they must somehow have set favorite channels.  I disabled favorites and am back to where I expected to be.  The TV is relatively new for us, and I certainly haven't figured out all of its commands.  In fact, I don't know how to set favorites if I reenabled "favorites" and tried to set them.  

From what I read, Favorites are set automatically from your TV channel viewing patterns. You can't add them.

Correct. Favorites are determined by the software based on what you've watched. Many users have complained about it, as it didn't used to be that way. A user used to be able to designate an OTA channel as a favorite. Taking that away was stupid. 

Wow, that's a horrible change. TCL/Roku(whose fault?) should give us an option how Favorites should be behaved. Smiley Sad
Ant @ http://aqfl.net, http://antfarm.home.dhs.org, & http://antfarm.ma.cx.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Losing *.1 OTA antenna channels in TCL HDTV (28S305).

It's all Roku on that one. Why they thought it was a good idea, who knows. But I haven't heard anyone think it was smart.  :roll:
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos