Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Harvini
Roku Guru

Re: Live tv pause not working

One possible reason may be the storage technology used within the micro-drive (which I am assuming is your issue).  Not all drives use the same technology, and it is entirely possible that there are incompatibilities between the SPECIFIC card design and the USB reader in your TV set.

Have you tried different brands and different capacity cards?  I would suggest that you DO NOT use a very high capacity micro-SD for this application.  32GB max.  Above that point, the internal storage uses different storage technology.  Also, the internal controller in the SD and how it uses the internal storage differs from brand to brand.

Also, whether you pause the set is immaterial.  The video "traffic" of the OTA is going through the USB card full-time, whether you pause it or not.  I suspect (but do not have specific knowledge of the ROKU code), that changing channels may trigger an additional erase cycle for the entire card.  These things add up incredibly fast.

Finally, perhaps you have yet to learn, but smart-mouthing at someone who is trying to help you is not the best approach.

imagineer

Best post in a year string.  I have a brand new TCL ROKU 50" connected late last month using 1GB fiber to WiFi to the TV.  Fiber streaming is not a problem.  Using my old roof antenna for broadcast, I get 5 bars of connection on the primaries.  Bought and connected a 64GB 3.0 USB stick to pause live TV yesterday and today live broadcast antenna signal froze up twice going to the (black screen).  After the second reboot got an error message from the TV saying live TV pause has been disabled.  Pulled the 64GB 3.0 stick and will install a 16GB 2.0 stick next weekend and try live pause again.  - Thanks for your help.

salado
Channel Surfer

that happened to me (1st time) with the new ROKU software update ( 10.0.0 ) I removed the usb stick & put it back in & So Far all is well with the pause...... the update came in 2 nights ago..appx. will keep you posted . TCL 42" TV

it could still be a crapshoot? and who knows?  

Today, I got the same message! I repeated the above steps, but, I went into Settings/System/About/Power/SystemRestart/Restart/ and, did a restart. It just restarts the TV - you may note the TV runs a little faster with the above.  Follow the prompts for usb install .. Got rid of the Live TV not working issue & it does pause now. But - thats today.... It may happen again to me now tomorrow ???  

note: 

(Don't restart the entire set, it will remove all you did) stay away from "Factory Restart"

0 Kudos
Joseph3
Streaming Star

I found out the hard way (wasted a year with no live tv)....I just inserted a different SDHC card and went thru the install procedure...and bingo!

0 Kudos
femmedraven
Reel Rookie

I have used the live tv pause with a flash drive since I bought my Roku TV about one year ago and it's always worked but suddenly, a couple of days ago I noticed it wasn't working. I thought maybe it was the USB flash drive so I bought a new one and nope, doesn't work. I've tried updating, unplugging everything, etc. and nothing is fixing the issue. This is one of the features I liked about this TV and now it doesn't work? Lovely. This is the last time I'll buy one of these televisions.

0 Kudos
Harvini
Roku Guru

Since you've already unplugged, reset, etc, there is one more thing to try, which may or may not be a solution.  I notice that the antenna scannning routine appears to have changed in the new release 10.  I would try rescanning the antenna channels, then, at the end of the scanning process, it asks if you want to activate Live TV pause.  Follow the instructions there, with the new USB drive installed.  I don't know that this will help, but, with as flakey as the Roku code seems to be, this is worth at least a try before you give up completely.

0 Kudos
femmedraven
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the suggestion but I've already done that...twice. LOL

I think my next step will be to remove the flash drive, scan for channels, skip activating Live TV pause, shut off the TV and then try it all again. Beyond that I don't know that there's much more I can do. This is beyond annoying.

0 Kudos
Joseph3
Streaming Star

Strangely enough, the reason I bought my second Roku TV is for the pause/replay feature.  I would buy another (#3), but all the codes are the same in the remote controls so I can't run them too close.

0 Kudos

I have wasted too much time on trying to get a USB drive to work. 
My solution has been to use a high endurance micro sd card with a USB adapter. So far no problems in about a year. 
Hope this helps, good luck. Yes, beyond annoying 

0 Kudos
femmedraven
Reel Rookie

Well, as luck would have it, shutting the TV off for several hours seems to have done the trick. Who knew? LOL

Now I'll hold my breath every time I pause tv and hope it works. Good luck to everyone who's also dealing with this! I'll just be here with my fingers crossed.

0 Kudos