Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Genoess
Channel Surfer

Live TV asks if I need channels 3 & 4

When setting up Live TV one of the prompts asks if I need channels 3 & 4, how would I know if I need them or not?

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Re: Live TV asks if I need channels 3 & 4

Can you provide more information please. Are you trying to hook up an antenna to a Roku TV?

0 Kudos
Genoess
Channel Surfer

Thank you for your reply,

I have my Comcast cable box's coax cable attached to that input. I've had my Roku tv for over a year and it's worked fine. Just a couple days ago my Live TV feed stopped working correctly, it began showing one of the channel apps. I did a factory reset and when adding Live TV it asked me if I had channels 3 & 4. I don't think I do on this tv. 

It began working correctly after the factory reset but when I turned it on today, the same thing was happening. I'm doing another factory reset and I'm wondering if this channel thing has any significance. 

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

So you’re speaking about Roku Live TV? You don’t view your Comcast channels through your Comcast box? Did you read this?

https://support.roku.com/article/115005469427

0 Kudos
Genoess
Channel Surfer

Yes, I've been viewing my cable through Roku Live TV.

I have a Comcast cable box, maybe it's an old one because it uses a coax cable to connect.

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Most newer cable boxes use an HDMI cable. My mothers does. I plugged her Comcast cable box into her Roku TV using the HDMI cord it comes with. Works great. Then I set the TV up to launch the Comcast box on start up. I suggest you turn in your old box and get a new one

Genoess
Channel Surfer

Yeah, that might help. It's just worked fine so I haven't felt like dealing with one more thing in my life. 

I was wondering if the request for channel 3 & 4 has any significance. 

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Does the back of the cable box have slider button labeled 3/4? Those are very old and it meant that your tv had to be tuned into channel 3 or 4 to view the cable box 

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Genoess 

I believe the question re: channels 3 and 4 are more for those devices using RCA connections (the yellow, red and white cables) like VCRs and DVD players that required the user to change to channel 3 (usually) or 4 in order to watch.  This may also be needed by some older cable boxes.

If you choose "no", it just will not reserve or program these during the scan.  If you select "yes", these two channels will be included in the scan and will just appear blue or be filled with static unless using with one of the above devices requiring 3 or 4.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

If you are connecting the cable box to the TV with a coax cable you are not getting a high definition picture.  I agree that you need to get a new cable box.  However if you are connecting from the cable box to the TV with a coax cable (not red, white, yellow) the TV does need channel 3 or 4 because the cable box is tuning the channel and converting the signal to either channel 3 or 4.  By coax cable do you mean like the cable running from the wall to the cable box?