Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KarenF
Level 8

Re: Live TV - 'Recent Channels' not working

I did a little more investigating last night (January 11th), and watched some "streaming Live TV" (after making it active again). Watched a couple of stations for more than a few minutes, then went back to our OTA stations and watched a few stations there as well (for more than a few minutes). Then I reinstated recent channels and noticed that ONLY the streaming live TV stations showed up, but none of the OTA stations did. That means the recent channels option is ONLY for streaming stations and NOT OTA stations. I would really like ROKU to reinstate the favorites option for OTA stations for those of us that don't normally watch streaming stations. This is not an improvement and I will hound you until you do! Again, I'll say, don't fix what ain't broken!

Visitor45763
Level 10

@KarenF wrote:

I reinstated recent channels and noticed that ONLY the streaming live TV stations showed up, but none of the OTA stations did. That means the recent channels option is ONLY for streaming stations and NOT OTA stations.

That matches others saying "recent" isn't populated with antenna channels. But, my two TCL tvs "recents" are populated with antenna channels. They don't seem to change with what I view (or in any way associated with anything recent). When I disabled "hide all" for the new streaming channels, nothing I watched of those appeared in "recents." But, one of those which I didn't watch *did* appear.

It's hard to judge this feature when it's clearly not working (broken in different ways for different people). The real problem is that they (without a doubt) don't test updates. We're always going to be subjected to "what's coming next." Even if they fix it, 10 other things could break. A year from now, I could be one of the people with looping recovery screen, etc.

I'm really tempted to put mine on Craigslist, buy something else before I have to.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
KarenF
Level 8

But, my two TCL tvs "recents" are populated with antenna channels. They don't seem to change with what I view (or in any way associated with anything recent).

That's pretty interesting! It truly is a flawed update and I agree, they should test it out and perhaps inform owners of the change. That probably bugs me more than anything, that I had to do my own searching to determine that it was an update! Hopefully they can roll it back. That would be fine with me.

mikeism
Level 9

If you buy a car because you like the feature set, and then you take the car in for service and they remove one of those features, you're going to be really irritated.  Correct?

Well that's essentially what Roku did by removing the 'Favorites' feature.  Then they made it worse by replacing it with a time-consuming multi-click process flow that makes customers switch between screens to view 'All Channels' or 'Recent Channels'.  You can't see 'All Channels' and 'Recent Channels' on the same view/screen.

Then they doubled down because the roll-out of 'Recent Channels' in the most recent update doesn't even work.  In my case, NO OTA channels are listed in the 'Recent Channels' view and the streaming channels are not the ones that were most recently viewed.

Roku... put the Favorites back on the same screen with the OTA channels and streaming channels. Seriously.  You gotta be kidding me.  This is ridiculous. 

KBMcFarland
Level 8

RokuDanny, Your repeated obvious canned reply asking for all the device information is absolutely ridiculous. You KNOW that the problem with the favorites option being removed and that the recent channels does NOT show OTA stations is across all roku devices, but especially the roku TVs. 

We recently purchased a smart TV and decided to go with a roku TV after reading reviews. When we set up our new roku TV we found outvthat some of the features we purchased it for have been removed by roku with the new "update". PLEASE return the favorites option or at the minimum make the recent channels option show OTA stations and ONLY show the channels you actually watch. We are regretting purchasing a roku TV instead of a chromecast TV or basic smart TV.

KBMcFarland
Level 8

This is obviously a stock reply and rokudanny is a bot. @mikeism has already supplied information that all of the roku users on this thread are experiencing. The roku device does NOT matter because these problems are obviously caused across devices by the latest roku update. Listen to your customers and do something to fix this ridiculous and UNWANTED update!

KarenF
Level 8

I'm with you all. I just want favorites back. I turn off all the LiveTV channels as we do not watch them, but we really liked the favorites option. It can't be that hard to bring it back with technology what it is today.

Visitor45763
Level 10

@KBMcFarland wrote: This is obviously a stock reply and rokudanny is a bot.

I feel sorry for Danny. When I first arrived at the forum, I called him the alternate-universe version of the Maytag Repairman. Think about how miserable the Maytag Repairman was, eager to help people -- but unfortunate enough that nobody ever needed help. Imagine going to work every day knowing you can't do anything useful. 

Danny's the opposite of that. He took a job to help people with a product that needs *a lot* of help. But, he can't do anything other than "pass it along" to people who clearly don't care. The problems aren't in his control. The leadership doesn't care. 

It must be a miserable job to look forward to every morning. Being the face of malfeasance. Either the job market is terrible, or Roku's paying him a salary he can't get anywhere else. Either way, it must feel unpleasant.

IMO: the entire problem with Roku is that there's no way to stay on a version of software that worked for you. I don't begrudge the software evolving and leaving older tv's behind. Or, that someone has a different idea about features (favorites out, tortuously slow channel changing, etc.). That wouldn't be a problem if I could stay on the last software version that worked for my tv.

I have an 8-year old Nexus 4 cell phone. It stopped updating the Android version a long time ago. I wasn't faced with choosing between brokenness or using it only for its camera (never connected to the cellular network in order to avoid brokenness). I'm simply feature-frozen at some point where Android was no longer supported on my phone. I can use it as long as it keeps working. (I can use it as it was intended to be used. I don't have to disconnect from the network and use it as an MP3 player only.).

This is what's thoroughly ridiculous about Roku. They don't want the burden of supporting old versions of the OS. (Plus, I suspect they don't want their "partners" who right streaming apps to have to support old versions of apps that work with old versions of Roku's software.). That's understandable. But, then you'd think Roku would take better care with testing updates since customers have no options (because options would make life hard for Roku). But, better testing makes like hard for Roku too(!).

The common theme is: simplicity for Roku. Customers can live with being broken and left behind.

I found a page with tons of quotes from Roku's CEO (Anthony Wood) talking about how he wanted to be "Android on the TV." This was back before Android was on TVs. I really think Roku is massively in trouble now. My impression is that they did their IPO about two years ago, and are hoping for a buyout/merger. Cash out. I don't think there's any long-term ambitions to compete with Android on TV. It all smells like a ship going down. Putting lipstick on everything, unable to devote resources to proper customer care. All the resources need to be put on what will look good to a potential buyer (a new version of software, simple support costs, etc. A nice-looking bottom line.). 

Time will tell about that. But, it's impossible for me to see how this is a winning strategy. Imagine if you had a laptop running Win 7, and Windows 10 wouldn't run on it (due to some variation in your particular hardware that Microsoft couldn't test for, given the anarchy of the IBM-clone pc market). You'd just reinstall 7 and use it for 4-5 years. Whenever that became unsupported (unpatched security flaws), you could install one of the lightweight Linux distros to continue getting some use out of it (browsing the web, word processing, etc.).

Now consider if MS required 7 to be updated, and your only use of your laptop was to remain unconnected from the network (because 10 will be forced on you, and break your laptop). All you could do is play games, and use whatever software it came with. You couldn't google anything. 

That's essentially what Roku is doing in its quest for simplicity (for itself).

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
mikeism
Level 9

Because the malfunctioning 'Recent Channels' and the removal of the 'Favorites' function are often discussed in the same thread, there is another discussion that might be of interest to folks that land here.  Here's the link...   Favorites completely gone!   It's incorrectly marked as having a solution; however, as described it's not a solution at all.

Roku... A reasonable solution would be this: Bring 'Favorites' back (or a version of 'Recent Channels' that isn't broken) and put either of them on the same screen with OTA channels and Roku streaming channels.