Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KarenF
Level 8

Re: Live TV - 'Recent Channels' not working

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model ~ 65S517
-serial number ~ YS00VG004297
-device ID ~ FU284V004297
-software OS/version ~ 9.4.0 build 4200-30
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)  tracker ID# 97-015-525
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing - I bring up the schedule, click left until I'm on a channel # and it provides me with the option to press * to choose between all channels and recent channels. When I choose recent channels the graph is completely blank. When I choose all channels I see all the channels.

0 Kudos
mikeism
Level 9

@KarenF 

Hi KarenF.  Do you have a Roku TV or a Roku device/player?  In other threads/posts I've seen customers report the problem with the blank 'Recent Channels' list, and in many cases it's been associated with a Roku TV.  I'm wondering if customers with Roku devices (not TVs) are having this issue.

Mike

RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@KarenF 

Thanks for the information.

I have passed it along to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
KarenF
Level 8

I have a Roku TV.

mikeism
Level 9

@KarenF    @RokuDanny-R 

Per the model number it looks like you have a TCL Roku TV.  I have a TCL Roku TV as well and many of the reports I've seen about the blank 'Recent Channels' list are associated with TCL TVs.  My 'Recent Channels' list has zero OTA channels and random streaming channels.

I have gotten zero help from TCL.  Support tickets go unanswered.

Visitor45763
Level 12

FYI, I have two TCL Roku tvs[1]. Both of their "recent channels" are populated. (The ordering of channels doesn't make sense to me, nor the way the order changes.).

TCL32S321 v9.4.0 b4200-30

TCL43S405 v9.4.0 b4200-30

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
mikeism
Level 9

@Visitor45763 

Do you see both OTA and streaming channels in the 'Recent Channels' list?

Visitor45763
Level 12

I have my streaming channels "hide all" from the home>settings>tv inputs>live tv. I just enabled it and went into guide (all channels), scrolled "up" (more on this in a moment) to channel 3.1, and then channel 1135 began. I clicked on it, or somehwere further "up" in the scroll, which is lower in the numbers (more on this in a moment).

I finally "entered" on a channel and watched it for a few seconds, scrolled further "up". Ended up sitting on one channel for 3-4 minutes (thinking "viewed" might mean spending some time.). 

Then I went to "guide" again, and switched to "recently viewed." None of those streaming channels appeared. However, 115 appeared. I didn't even view that one. (It's clear to me this update was not ready for release. How could anyone have missed stuff like this?).

* Regarding "up" through the guide channels. I just noticed that this works opposite of how remotes work when changing channels. If you're watching a channel and press the "up" button, you go to the next higher-up channel. However, if you're in the guide, "up" goes to the lower channel.

I can see why the did the guide that way, because you're scrolling up the list. But, I think it would have been better to sort that list descending so it matches the implied list when watching a channel and moving "up" to higher channels. Now up has two meanings. Move up to a lower channel?

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
KarenF
Level 8

I don't see anything in the recent channels line up. Absolutely nothing. We predominantly watch three OTA channels (I know, we're boring old people ;-)  We watch CBS (2.1), KTLA (5.1) and PBSSoCal (50.1). Other than that, we stream Netflix or CBS All Access. I've noticed that the recent channels is new, as our favorites disappeared, but it's been a few days now and enough time for them to create a recent channels list. While we are on that subject, why should my TV decide which are my favorites? There should be some plan for the TV watcher to decide what goes in the recent channel line up. I even noticed before, when we had to do a hard reset on our TV, which of course wiped out everything, it took over a week for the TV to put our favorites channels back in our favorite list. I've always thought I should be able to decide what goes in there and not the TV.

I also turned off all the other streaming channels as we just don't watch them, so I hid them. I was able to accomplish that.

I also noticed the discrepancy, even before this update, that if I push channel up on my Roku remote, it goes up in numerical order for my favorites and/or channels (in other words, 2.1 goes to 2.2). But when I go to the guide, I have to push channel down on the remote to go from 2.1 to 2.2. I always thought that was a bit weird, but I got used to it.

I never even considered this was a TLC issue, so maybe I'll check on their message boards to see if there is any discussion about that. I may be a bit on the older side, but I'm pretty tech savvy and I've tried everything I could to solve this problem, but coming here has shown me that I'm not the only one. I did get a bit of relief about that!

Visitor45763
Level 12

@KarenF wrote:

I also noticed the discrepancy, even before this update, that if I push channel up on my Roku remote, it goes up in numerical order for my favorites and/or channels (in other words, 2.1 goes to 2.2). But when I go to the guide, I have to push channel down on the remote to go from 2.1 to 2.2. I always thought that was a bit weird, but I got used to it.

I agree, it's probably not a problem. The online guides display ascending. I guess that's the natural way to look at a guide.

I think the problem is when the normal channel-changing is so slow it's not usable (for stepping past more than a few channels). "Guide" becomes the workaround. That's when it starts to stand out (you have to mentally switch to "I go this direction now"). As a convenience function from guide, it's nice.

I never even considered this was a TCL issue, so maybe I'll check on their message boards to see if there is any discussion about that.

I doubt it's a TCL issue. The hardware wouldn't affect Roku's ability to know which channel you viewed, for how long, and creating/displaying a list of those. Either way, it should have been noticed through testing before the update was released.