Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikeism
Level 9

Live TV 'Recent Channels' is not working.

After the most recent software update, the new Live TV 'Recent Channels' feature is not working on my TCL Roku TV. When I press the * button on the remote to 'switch channel lists' and then select 'Recent Channels'... the channel list is empty. The list is empty even though I have watched multiple over-the-air stations/channels many times for many days. So the 'Favorites' feature is gone with the latest update and 'Recent Channels' feature doesn't work. TCL Model 65R625. Software version 9.4.0 Build 4200-88

28 Replies
mikeism
Level 9

Re: Live TV - 'Recent Channels' not working

Roku TV = A108X
TCL Model = 65R625
Serial Number = X00300R60RS9
Software version 9.4.0 Build 4200-88
Device ID = S053Y9960RS9

Tried to do another software update.  System indicates that is up to date with latest version.

Live TV Recent Channels list is empty 

recent-channels-empty.jpgrecent-channels-switch-to.jpg

RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@mikeism 

Thanks for the information.

What happens if you switch the guide to something else? Have you already rescanned for channels?

For more information, we would recommend that you take a look at our Support page here: https://support.roku.com/article/115005469427

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
mikeism
Level 9

@RokuDanny-R 

Q: What happens if you switch the guide to something else?

A: There are only 2 choices... either 'All Channels' or 'Recent Channels'.  The 'All Channels' selection works fine.  The 'Recent Channels' selection is the problem.

Q: Have you already rescanned for channels?

A: Yes I rescanned.  After doing so, the  'Recent Channels' selection still doesn't show any recent Live TV channels that I watched.  However, it now displays 5 streaming channels that I haven't watched.

'Recent Channels' is still broken for me.

RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@mikeism 

Thanks for the information.

I have passed along your information to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
mikeism
Level 9

@RokuDanny-R 

Thanks for your help on this Danny.

Happy Holidays.

Mike

0 Kudos
mikeism
Level 9

@RokuDanny-R 

Hi Danny... There is another thread with multiple comments about the 'Recent Channels' list either being empty or malfunctioning.  There are also various comments in that thread about 'Recent Channels' being poor replacement for the 'Favorites' list. 

In regard to this thread, and my previous post, more detailed comments are included below:

Issue ID = S9-519-472
Roku TV = A108X
TCL Model = 65R625
Device ID = S053Y9960RS9

Primary Live TV problems after recent update:
- 'Recent Channels' doesn't display any OTA channels (even though 'Show' is selected in settings)
- Elimination of 'Favorites' makes Live TV navigation much more difficult and time consuming 

Channel navigation before the latest update:
When customers selected Live TV,  'Favorite' channels appeared at the top of the screen, and 'all' channels were readily visible below the list of 'Favorites'.  The customer could then select a channel from the 'Favorites' list, or could easily select a channel in the 'all' channels list further down on the same screen.  No need to switch between screens/views.  Simple. Fast.  Easy to use and navigate. 

Channel navigation after the latest update:
With the latest update, customers now have to choose between viewing 'All Channels' or viewing 'Recent Channels'.  Customers can't see 'recent channels ' and 'all channels'  at the same time on the same screen/view. To switch between views customers have to:

1) Press the left scroll arrow multiple times until a prompt appears letting the customer know that the view can be switched by pressing the * button

2) Press the * button to bring up the option to switch the view

3) Select either 'All Channels' or 'Recent Channels'.  That's the only options you get... display most recent channels, or display all channels.

4) Press OK

5) Select your channel

6) Now if you switched to a view that you don't really like as your default for Live TV, you need to go through the gyrations to switch it back.

The navigation associated with viewing 'Recent Channels is not an improvement.  It's frustrating and aggravating.  

SUGGESTION:
Show all channel groups on the main Live TV screen/guide with the option to show or hide each group:

- Recent OTA Channels ( this can provide the same convenience as 'Favorites' did before the update)

- All OTA Channels

- Roku Streaming Channels

The functions to hide or show 'All Channels' and 'Streaming Channels' are already in the latest update.  Add the option to hide or show 'Recent Channels' on the same screen with 'All Channels' and 'Streaming Channels'.  With that approach customers can configure which of the 3 groups they want displayed or hidden when they navigate to the main Live TV screen/guide.  Customers won't be forced to click 6 buttons to see their most-used channels and 6 times again to go find some channels that aren't in the 'Most Recent' list. 

mikeism
Level 9

@Roku_Community 

Roku Community Manager....

Is there a way we can get some help?  After the latest software update 'Favorites' is gone and 'Recent Channels' isn't working. 

1) Favorites is gone.  Is there a way to convince Roku that removing Favorites was a bad decision?  Can we get the functionality of Favorites back?

2) For many customers, 'Recent Channels' doesn't show over the air 'recent' channels even when the settings are set to 'Show' and NOT 'Hide'.  Is there an effort to fix it?    

As customers post about this issue there is mostly silence from Roku moderators on this site.  What is the best way to know if something is being done to fix the two main issues discussed in this thread?

Efforts to get support from TCL go unanswered.

Efforts to get support through Roku tech support isn't working either.

Issue ID = S9-519-472
Roku TV = A108X
TCL Model = 65R625
Device ID = S053Y9960RS9

KarenF
Level 8

I agree. I liked our "favorites" OTA channels listed together with all others below. We basically watch three OTA stations and the rest for us is streaming. But the "recent channels" shows nothing. We've visited our favorite three stations many times, but they are still not being saved. I don't like this new update AT ALL! Bring back favorites or fix it! For us, OTA stations we watch are 2.1, 5.1 and 50.1, so now since they are not being saved, we have to scroll quite a bit to get from 2.1 to 50.1. Not a happy camper or customer. Sometimes if it's not broken, don't fix it!

RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@KarenF 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Tags (1)
0 Kudos