Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Karkat55
Level 7

Live TV Pause "USB too slow"

Just downloaded the 7.5 update to my TCL Roku TV, and wanted to try out the new "Live TV Pause" feature. I put in a 16gb flash drive, and told the TV to format it for Live TV Pause. Formatting failed with a message saying my USB drive is too slow.

Any guidance on finding a USB flash drive that will be fast enough? What specs should I look for?
0 Kudos
10 Replies
sca1178
Level 7

Re: Live TV Pause "USB too slow"

I have the same issue on a brand new Roku TV. Are there recommended USB sticks we should use?  What is the speed of the USB port, usb 2 or 3?
0 Kudos
andyross
Level 11

The port on most TV's are probably USB2. You can usually tell a USB3 port as it will either be blue, or have SS (SuperSpeed) near it. USB3 also has an extra set of contacts, but that's hard to see.

Don't use those crappy SanDisk Cruzr drives or similar, even if they are USB3. They are utter crap. One way to test the WRITE speed is to put it in you computer and copy a large (50-100M) file to it, and watch the data rate. USB2 will max out around 12M/sec or so. The two Cruzr drives I had (and since thew out) maxed out around 3-4. Even a USB3 drive is no guarantee, as the USB3 Cruzr I had was fast to read, but writing wasn't much better or even worse than some old Sony USB drives I have (which are around 6.5M).
0 Kudos
davebos
Level 7

I received the same message with an Adata Pro S102/32GB USB 3.0 stick.  It is supposed to have 25Mbps Write speeds.  Is that not fast enough?  Roku/TCL needs to list minimum specs so I can know what to buy, not just "modern" since this seems modern to me.
andyross
Level 11

"davebos" wrote:
I received the same message with an Adata Pro S102/32GB USB 3.0 stick.  It is supposed to have 25Mbps Write speeds.  Is that not fast enough?  Roku/TCL needs to list minimum specs so I can know what to buy, not just "modern" since this seems modern to me.

This article give info you can use to test the speed of your USB drives using your computer to pre-test before trying it on another device:
https://www.pcworld.com/article/2455205/test-the-speed-of-your-usb-drives.html
0 Kudos
davebos
Level 7

Andy, 

Thank you,

However, without knowing what score is a passing grade, the test won't be very helpful.

TCL/Roku should state a minimum spec.

In the meantime, anyone that has this working could be generous and let us know the specs or model number of their stick.
mtrodrig84
Level 7

There's still no conclusion to this topic?  I  got the same error, can't figure out what 'fast enough' is. . . 
0 Kudos
mtrodrig84
Level 7

Here are the speed tests I ran on my JOIOT USB drive:
1) Writing speed :6.56 MByte/s - Reading speed: 18.2 MByte/s using H2testw v1.4 (all storage tested)
2) Sequential Write: 7.524 MB/s - Sequential Read: 20.422 MB/s using CrystalDiskMark 5.0.2 x64 (1GB tested)

So what is the required write speed in order to work with these darn TVs?
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 9

My 32GB PNY drive that works with my 32" TCL TV tests at 9.46MB/s write and 22.6MB/s read using H2testw. I only ran the test for about 6 min and CrystalDiskMark wouldn't offer to test the drive.

I got the PNY drive at Walmart on Black Friday for something like 5 bucks, so it's nothing special.

-JT
0 Kudos
LakeMechanic
Level 7

I encountered this problem with my new TCL 43S425 TV with a brand spanking new 32gb USB 3.0 flash drive & after I couldn't get Roku support or TLC to provide a list of flash drives that work, I ordered two ADATA 16GB USB 3.2 Gen 1 Flash Drives.  The package had USB 3.1 & I tried them before the hassle of returning/reordering.  They both formatted & successfully pause live TV, so I'm a happy camper.
0 Kudos